She-Geeks discussion

Saga, Vol. 1 (Saga, #1)
This topic is about Saga, Vol. 1
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Saga: Discussion (Read of September)

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kay Lotus, Red Queen (last edited Sep 24, 2012 03:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kay Lotus (ayokayo) | 249 comments Mod
As we're approaching the last week of September, let's go ahead and kickstart some discussion for our read of the month, Saga! Make sure you state your checkpoint or simply yell out SPOILER so we don't ruin it for those who haven't gotten that far.

Checkpoint: Issue #6
The first chapter kicks off with our protagonist couple Alana and Marko giving birth to their first child. Twelve hours previous, he was a stranger and prisoner under her supervision during a war between two planets. Yeah, lol. Of course, these star-crossed lovers are from opposing sides of the war. Alana works as military personnel for her technologically advanced civilization of Landfall. They have wings that can make them fly, but her wings, however, are useless. Marko was a foot soldier from his planet Wreath who surrendered to Landfall as a "conscientious objector." His folks are known for their ram-like horns and ability to yield magic. Together, the lovebirds decide to escape the war in search for a better life for their newborn. Peril and efforts for their capture ensue.

Pros:
- Jumps right into action. Consistent, exciting pace.
- Alana and Marko are very likable characters and the dialogue between them are hilarious.
- The illustration and colors are GORGEOUS. One of the best art I came across this year.
- LOVE the minimalist title lettering and fonts.

Cons:
- For a sci-fi story, horns + wings + tv heads on our main characters isn’t necessarily innovation. I only say this because everything else about Saga is so incredibly unique and head turning. The concept of Sextillion is an example of creativity and marvelous imagery that I wish was also applied to the build of our recurring characters.
- [SPOILER COMING] The Stalk died too suddenly for me. It made me wonder how in the universe are they going to come up with a monster that looks more vicious than her? If she isn't Alana's and Marko's biggest threat? What is? The creators raised the bar pretty high for themselves, and I can't wait to see what other monsters they come up with.

Based on just these 6 issues, I give it 4.5 stars. The character development, setting, art, and pace have been on point. Looking forward to the next issue!

message 2: by Stefani - SpelingExpirt, White Rabbit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stefani - SpelingExpirt (Speling_Expirt) | 307 comments Mod
I loved Saga. I agree with you about The Stalk, it was a beautifully and creepily drawn character.
I was hooked from the first page and find the concept interesting, it helps that I was always a big Star Wars fan!
I like that Hazel narrates the series however Izabel has to be my favourite character.

Kelly (xitomatl) I never would have thought to pick this up on my own, but the owner of the comic book store I go to shoved it at me and said "best opening line in a comic book ever." I read the first page and was sold from that second on. Absolutely amazing art and colours, fantastic dialogue.... there's nothing I don't like about this comic. I'm a fan of buying the individual issues so now I'm just (im)patiently waiting the next one to come out in October.

It's funny and touching and completely whacked with some of the characters they have. Even in a totally deranged universe, everybody is believable, which is something Vaughn is particularly adept at.

SPOILER While I love everybody, I'm most intrigued at this point with where The Will is going, he obviously has his own sense of morals (as demonstrated on Sextillion) and I want to see how that plays out. I'd agree with you Kay, that they killed The Stalk too soon, but I have absolutely no doubt that there will be no hole left by The Stalk getting killed so early on - just look at what they packed into six issues already!

I was absolutely thrilled when I got to meet Fiona Staples at Calgary Expo and that she signed/drew on my #1 and the #1 cover variant I bought. I'm not one of those rabid collectors who puts all their comics into bags, but I must admit, those two are in protective sheets!

I would highly suggest everybody buy the single issues if you can - the letters column at the back the best I've ever seen.

message 4: by Kay Lotus, Red Queen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ahh, I think The Will will slowly become one of my favorite Saga characters. I almost think that he won't go through with killing Alana and Marko when the time comes. He might even join forces with them, and maybe we'll have a triad (plus Hazel) of peace-seeking crusaders instead of two? Hmmm. It's incredible what they've managed to fit into 6 issues already without being a distraction.

Kelly, you said you're waiting for the next issue to drop next month? God, I hope you were right but I see on my pull list that #7 is actually coming out on November 14 =\
Three months is such a looong time to wait, but Ms. Staples' defined work is definitely worth it. Once she gets some more work done under her belt, she will quickly become one of my favorite illustrators.

A trade of the first 6 issues will publish next month for $10. If you want to save yourself some dollars, just wait until then to pick it up.

message 5: by Kay Lotus, Red Queen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Here's the official cover to issue #8. Isn't it gorgeous? Alana's attitude is all over it.

Kelly (xitomatl) Kay wrote: "Kelly, you said you're waiting for the next issue to drop next month? God, I hope you were right but I see on my pull list that #7 is actually coming out on November 14 =\"

Oh day-um you're right. I knew it was November too. Call it wishful thinking that I changed that up to October in my head.

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments That cover is gorgeous, love the art in this comic!

The Will is definitely growing on me too. All the characters are great actually. BKV has such a funny, unique style. I really enjoyed the Sextillion issue. It was just so bizaare, and the opening page made me laugh. Those head-and-leg-only things looked freaky.

message 8: by Andromeda (new)

Andromeda M31 (huffpuff) I had a lot of fun collecting this in monthly format. I'm trying to convince myself to go into trade, but all the covers of individual issues are too enticing! And I do love the raunchy letter column.

Fionna's art is amazing, and a pleasure to read through after all my superhero comics from the Big Two. Her monster designs are wild and the settings wonderful. TREE ROCKET SHIP. Hazel's commentary stitches everything together in a very playful manner. I don't have as much love for The Will as everyone else, I haven't seen him do much to raise himself up from the generic mercenary anti-hero stereotype.

Also does anyone else find the cussing a little forced and awkward?

message 9: by Stefani - SpelingExpirt, White Rabbit (new) - rated it 5 stars

I agree with Lela about the swearing. But then again I am the type who finds herself swearing more than the average person. I also think it had the perfect first page of any comic I think I've ever picked up.

I think the art is beautiful and I loved reading the letters, I like when BKV said he had received more complaints from men over the Sextillion drawings than from women.

Kelly (xitomatl) I'd have to agree with Lela and Stefani - I find the swearing perfectly fits in with Alana's attitude. There's very little that BKV has done that I've ever found forced.

For the record, I'm also somebody who swears like a sailor ;).

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments Andromeda wrote: "I had a lot of fun collecting this in monthly format. I'm trying to convince myself to go into trade, but all the covers of individual issues are too enticing! And I do love the raunchy letter co..."

Andromeda, I can see your point. Sometimes the cursing is a little forced. But I'm inclined to love anything by this author so it's easy for me to overlook.
As funny as the first page, it's all about shock value. Ultimately it works though. It will draw in people that like that and turn off those who don't.

message 12: by Kay Lotus, Red Queen (last edited Oct 01, 2012 10:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stefani wrote: "I think the art is beautiful and I loved reading the letters, I like when BKV said he had received more complaints from men over the Sextillion drawings than from women...."

The men? What are the complaints? Child trafficking aside, I didn't find anything overbearingly raunchy about Sextillion. If anything, I hope they return to Sextillion for a couple issues in the future. It's such a colorful and fun setting! I wonder what other creative planets and wonky-looking creatures they have up their sleeves.

I did find it odd that Alana and Marko got hitched after knowing each other for only 12 hours (according to Wiki). I think there's a huge shock factor underneath the premise of their relationship that will unveil itself soon. I feel like we know so much but yet so little which is a sign of good storytelling. This series is one of the very few comics out this year that has me looking forward to every issue.

Andromeda, looks like you have yourself a ship of potty mouths lol. I like Alana's sharp tongue. [SPOILER] I laughed out loud at her reaction when finding out about Marko's "fiancé."

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments Kay wrote: "Here's the official cover to issue #8. Isn't it gorgeous? Alana's attitude is all over it.

"

Hmm, it just occurred to me, this pic looks like a flashback scene. Sometime before Alana and Marko met?

Marnee (starsandchocolate) | 16 comments I am also loving this series, the art and the story. I haven't really noticed the swearing too much, but I have to say, I won't be sharing the story with my 11 year old for a few years!

I think that there is more to the story of how they met also. It seems like in one of the early issues there were even some hints at that. I think the backstory might take a while to come out, but that cover for #8 definitely looks like a flashback to me!

I like the hints of people making their own decisions within larger groups that are insisting on uniformity. It seems to be a major theme - the tv heads, both Alana and Marko have both defected, Izabel is leaving behind the other ghost children and her planet...even the Will - who I also think I'm going to like - is not seeming to do everything the way you would suspect of a bounty hunter.

message 15: by Stefani - SpelingExpirt, White Rabbit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kay wrote: "Stefani wrote: "I think the art is beautiful and I loved reading the letters, I like when BKV said he had received more complaints from men over the Sextillion drawings than from women...."

The me..."

I can't remember the actual complaints but phrases like 'gratuitous' and 'over the top' spring to mind. Personally it was my second favourite place after the rocket ship tree!

Samantha Wichers | 2 comments I'm really happy this series was brought to my attention. I've been a fan of Vaughan since Runaways and Y: The Last Man, but I had fallen out of touch with comics and graphic novels recently. As soon as I finished reading the first six issues, I went out and bought the copies I could find (which was not easy, the first 4 are completely sold out in my area and are apparently difficult to get a hold of).
I think the story has started off strong and I'm already in love with the characters. I personally don't think this is the last we will be seeing of The Stalk though I don't know how or why, I just feel like she is more important than a few issues worth of material.
The artwork is unreal to me. And the price was definitely right considering it was a full colour book. I really enjoy Fiona Staples, I have been creeping her personal Tumblr page, and she is just fantastic (and she's a fellow Canadian, so of course I'm going to be supportive).

I really cannot wait for more of this.

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments I'd never heard of Fiona Staples before this but will definitely look for her going forward. The art in Saga is just amazing, so much color.
I'm just starting to read Runaways, excited to see how it plays out. I'm in love with BKV after reading Last Man so I have high expectations.
Random thought: Alana reminds me of Kristen Stewart, especially when she makes bitchy faces. Anybody else notice this?

Kelly (xitomatl) Anna (Bananas!) wrote: "Random thought: Alana reminds me of Kristen Stewart, especially when she makes bitchy faces. Anybody else notice this? "

I didn't find that at all - and I really, really don't like Kristen Stewart so if she had reminded me at all of her I would have had a severe guttural reaction, hah!

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments LOL, and the last thing you want is throw-up on your copy of Saga.

message 20: by Andromeda (new)

Andromeda M31 (huffpuff) Haha. Well, Alana's cussing didn't bother me, as I thought it suited her character. But when you have all of the main characters exclaiming FUCK every other issue it felt forced and that everyone had the same voice. But hey it appears to be mostly me.

Interesting men complained about the sextillion naughty bits. I went through that issue again and noticed next to no man on man action, but lots of everything else! Hrms...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.