Goodreads Feedback discussion

Bugs > Ads are covering up the expanded descriptions.

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H. (last edited Feb 06, 2009 09:03PM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 438 comments The ads are covering up the expanded book descriptions.
Is there a way to get around this problem?
For example, see:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22...
and
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14...

Click on "more" in the "Description" area to see how the ads cover up the expanded description.

message 2: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 1928 comments Are those the "momversation" ads? I ran into a few of those covering up book descriptions last night.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments This has happened to me a lot. I sent screen shots to Goodreads and I know that Otis says they're working on it. But it's good that you posted Joy in case Goodreads thinks they'd already solved the issue.

message 4: by Joy H. (last edited Feb 07, 2009 09:12PM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 438 comments Cait wrote: "Are those the "momversation" ads? I ran into a few of those covering up book descriptions last night."

I'm not sure which ads they were, Cait.
They seem to be gone now at the links I provided above.

message 5: by Joy H. (last edited Feb 07, 2009 09:14PM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 438 comments Lisa wrote: "This has happened to me a lot. I sent screen shots to Goodreads and I know that Otis says they're working on it. But it's good that you posted Joy in case Goodreads thinks they'd already solved the..."

I'm glad you reported it too, Lisa.
The squeaky wheel gets the oil. (lol)
Squeak, squeak! (g)

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments I have seen more today so it is still an issue.

message 7: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 438 comments Lisa wrote: "I have seen more today so it is still an issue."

Everytime I see one, I'll come here and squeak. (g)

It's bad enough we have to put up with commercials on TV. Now the ads are blocking our reading online. It's so annoying. Yoo-hoo, Otis! (g)

JG (The Introverted Reader) | 541 comments The momversation one is annoying--and it covered my shelf box as I was trying to add a book. I worked around it though.

I'm not loving the Betty Crocker flashy one either, but at least it's not interfering with my use of the site. I mostly mentally block out the ads, but those two are getting through every time.

message 9: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 438 comments When are the ad designers going to learn how to attract attention successfully? When are they going to learn that the flashing ads are very annoying and probably repel customers more than they attract them? Whenever possible, I quickly arrange my screen so as to block them from the window.

As for me, the ads which attract me are the pretty ones... the softly, seducing ads which make you read them because they are so satisfying to the eye... and I don't mean the sexy ads.

Also attractive to me are ads with tasteful, colorful designs. My eye is drawn to them.

A word to the wise is sufficient... usually.

Otis, if you're reading this, you might forward this message to your advertisers. Thank you.

message 10: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
Sorry about that - some of our new ad networks are taking some time to get adjusted right. If you see an annoying ad again, please post a screenshot of it, and the url it takes you to if you click on it. Otherwise we can't tell which ad it was!

message 11: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 438 comments OK, Otis. I'll try to do that. Thank you.

I realize that some of the ad companies don't care if they annoy us. They just want to get our attention any way they can. But you can tell them from me, that if an ad annoys me, I try to make it a point not to buy their product. I think we all should do that.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 947 comments The new slimfast ad is doing this as well as at least one other I didn't think to capture at the time:

It links to http://www.slim-fast.com/homepage.asp...

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments I've noticed today and recently that just about every ad is at the minimum covering up a portion of the book descriptions when click more to see the full description.

message 14: by BJ (last edited Mar 02, 2009 10:54AM) (new)

BJ | 105 comments I have so many ad blockers running in my normal browser that I didn't realize GoodReads had ads for a long time. I'm using a different browser right now and I see the blank spot where they should be, but this one has ad blockers too.

The ad blocker has got to be the reason my stars weren't showing up on some pages because I have the stars in this browser.

message 15: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Grr I dislike this battle against annoying ads that float high. We've got an idea to fix this, stay tuned...

message 16: by Brenda (b) (new)

Brenda (b) (Brenda_b) | 210 comments I like that the expanded description box for a book is moved over now. I've noticed that there are some places in the box that seem to be transparent and the text from the main page bleeds through and can be quite distracting.

message 17: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Sherri: great idea. When we have our own ad system that will be possible.

But the problem with most of the ads you see on here today, is that we're just running an ad network from another company, and we generally don't know which ads are going to appear. It's definitely a strong reason why we are pushing for higher quality advertisers, and working on exciting things behind the scenes.

message 18: by Brenda (b) (new)

Brenda (b) (Brenda_b) | 210 comments I noticed that the see through problem seems to be with Internet Explorer. I don't see it if I bring the same page up using Firefox. Also, I haven't noticed it unless there's a review that would appear under the expanded description. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:
[image error]

message 19: by Ken-ichi (new)

Ken-ichi | 557 comments Sorry about the IE bug Brenda & BunWat. I found the problem, so it should be fixed in our next release (probably within a day or two).

message 20: by Holli (new)

Holli Sorry if this question has been talked about already or somewhere else but I'm having this problem of ads covering things up on my PM's that I write. The ads cover up the right side of the box and I can't see the text I type. It doesn't happen with the messages I receive...just the ones I type.

Can anyone suggest a solution? Thanks!

message 21: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Holli - I can't quite figure out which page you mean - can you post a screenshot?

message 22: by Holli (new)

Holli How do you do that Otis?

message 23: by Holli (new)

Holli I think my problem is that I accidentally clicked on the spot that allows you to make the box you type your PM's in "bigger" and now the ads are covering the right side of the box. I don't know how to do a screen shot so I don't know how to show you this.

message 24: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Can you post a link to the page you were on? I can't find a page where the box could overlap an ad...

Here's how to make a screenshot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screenshot. Email it to support_at_goodreads.com if you figure it out please :)

JG (The Introverted Reader) | 541 comments I just had a Duracell battery ad cover up the popup review box when I added a book. And of course I didn't think to get a screenshot at the time. I'll try to remember to do that if I see it happen again.

message 26: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Can you send us screenshots pretty please?

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8939 comments Otis and Abigail, When it happens again for me I can send a screen shot but so far my close x link has been working.

message 28: by Johnice (new)

Johnice (TenFeet2Hands) | 13 comments I also find the ads appearance an irritant.

message 29: by JG (The Introverted Reader) (last edited May 10, 2009 07:04PM) (new)

JG (The Introverted Reader) | 541 comments Yay! I figured out how to do this. This US Cellular ad is staying on top of the screen when I'm adding books quickly.

Photobucket

message 30: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Thanks JG!