Read by Theme discussion

Divergent (Divergent, #1)
This topic is about Divergent
Book Discussions > Divergent, by Veronica Roth

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy (terzahcain) | 40 comments I went crazy this month. I must really love juvenile fiction or teen characters facing the odds! I was reading this and another book as we opened September because I was afraid I wouldn't get a book done by the end of the month and wanted to keep my commitment to keep reading at least one theme book monthly. Turns out I go through this theme in books fast.

This is a good book for high school age on up. A main character that will immediately befriend you if you've ever wanted to make a drastic change in your life or your personality. Who hasn't felt at some point like a red-headed step child who doesn't quite fit in. Divergent author Veronica Roth reveals her heroine Beatrice (Tris) as a seemingly "Dauntless" girl who was born to a family of "Abnegation." She grows up learning that selflessness above all else is to be valued. But in this dystopian society 16-year old youth reach a "rite-of-passage" where they must choose their faction among the five groups. But they must choose wisely because once they do, there's no going back. And if they fail to pass the initiation and become full-fledged members of that faction, they become the lowest of the low - the untouchable "factionless" with no sense of belonging and no place in civilization.

This system apparently developed after too much war and fighting brought a mutual agreement between groups that there were five main causes to the violence: selfishness, ignorance, dishonesty, cowardice, and aggression. Depending on which of these a person felt most strongly about, they chose their faction accordingly: abnegation, erudite, candor, dauntless, and amity.

Similar to other dystopian story-lines there is a glitch in the heroine and others that don't quite fit any one particular part. So, of course, these Divergent rebels must be eradicated. Although formulaic in this sense, the story isn't always predictable and also includes the added bonus for teens (or anyone) of a little "first-love" romance and dysfunctional family resolutions, etc.

The writing is well done and I will definitely follow the story line into (at least) the next book in the series.

Linda C (libladynylindac) I really liked this book, but in the back of my mind was the question what was going on in the rest of the world. This whole society is based round Chicago. If there is that much undamaged including farm land around the city, there must be more. Maybe future books will get into this.
I had a similar question about Hunger Games. The world seemed to consist of the territory of the US broken into the 12 districts.

message 3: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) | 733 comments Linda C wrote: "I had a similar question about Hunger Games. The world seemed to consist of the territory of the US broken into the 12 districts."

I wondered the same thing; we got to see what's become of North America, but what about everywhere else? I would absolutely love if Suzanne Collins decided to expand her world and explore the state of things on the other continents.

As for Divergent, I've heard enough good things about it that I'll probably be bumping it up on my to-read list, though I'm still not sure when I'll get around to it.

Melissa I have this book on my re-read list as its been a long time since I read it and I want to read the sequel to it.

I remember liking the story line a lot but not liking the characters a great deal as they didn't seem very original or anything about them that made them stand out from the many other teenage heroines out there now.