Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Avalon (Avalon, #1)
This topic is about Avalon
Ask An Author, Win A Book Corner > AC: Lana Davison of Avalon (November 28-29)

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Oct 29, 2012 07:34AM) (new) - added it

Fran | 11052 comments Lana Davison, a Romance, Young Adult, Science Fiction & Fantasy author, will be joining us for a Q&A and book giveaway from November 28 - November 29, 2012.

Meet Lana:

Lana Davison is married, a mother of two children and a dog owner. She is Australian and has lived in Australia, Asia, Africa, Europe and now resides in the UK. She loves to travel, people watch, go on long bike rides, walk on the beach, drink good wine, and hang out with family and friends.

Books by Lana Davison:

Avalon- The first book in the Avalon Trilogy

Holly was forced to leave Avalon at the tender age of twelve, simply because she refused a union with her chosen one. She believes love ruins everything. Holly is sent to earth to live with her guardian family and lives on earth like any normal teenage girl, but she is different, she has a gift. In her senior school year, Holly attends boarding school in England and is introduced to a new student, Leo. She cannot understand why she is so drawn to his dark confident nature. His touch awakens a part of Holly she believed was dormant forever. All is not what it seems. What secret is Leo hiding? And is there more to Leo’s presence in her life?

Don't You Remember?-

Don’t You Remember is a breathtaking love story about Jen Redman’s love for musician Johnny Cromwell. The two of them embark on an electrifying, passionate relationship that will touch your heart. When Johnny temporarily leaves Jen to further his career as a musician, he had no idea it would be the last time he would see her again. The book twists and turns as it follows the characters through a decade, covering their time apart, as their career paths develop, and as they try and find love with other partners. It is touching, charming and the climax is both explosive and heart-warming. Are some things meant to be? Or will fate and timing decide it is not…..

C.E.O of Parenting and Domestic Services-

Stay at home mum, Anna Dawson is searching for something more than domestic life. Anna’s kids are eight and ten and growing up fast. With a little more time on her hands, Anna wants more from her life. She considers going back to her roots as a writer albeit only wants to work on her terms, but can she given she hasn’t been in the work force for 10 years? Anna writes an exceptionally funny and entertaining journal, with comical narrative from the whole family, as they wind each other up but also love each other very much.

Connect with Lana:

Connect with Lana on Facebook: Search Lana Davison Author

Twitter: @LanaDavison

https://www.smashwords.com/profile/vi...

Goodreads:http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

Books: Don't You Remember? by Lana Davison C.E.O of Parenting and Domestic Services by Lana Davison Avalon by Lana Davison

Giveaway: Lana will be giving away 3 ebook copies of Avalon. This giveaway is open to everyone.

message 2: by Fran, Moderator (new) - added it

Fran | 11052 comments Welcome Lana, it's a pleasure having you with us!

I hope you enjoy your time with our members; and good luck to you all!

GUIDELINES FOR AUTHOR AND PARTICIPANTS:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

Members, if you can please write the questions in bold; it would be easier for Lana to know that you have asked a question and less chance that it will be missed. Thanks!

In order to bold-

Place < b > before the question you have for Lana and < /b > after the question. Make sure there are no spaces.

message 3: by Dragana (new) - added it

Dragana (diaryofthebookdragon) Hello Lana,
Thank you for joining us. :)

Your book sounds very interesting, but the title makes me wonder...
Book & series name is 'Avalon' (legendary island featured in the Arthurian legend) but summary says that Avalon is another planet. Do you use any elements from Arthurian mythology in your book?

Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe) (nightowlbookcafe) | 8 comments Hi Lana :) welcome!

1. Can you tell me how did you get the inspiration to write Avalon?
2. Which character was the easiest to write? :)

message 5: by Iris (new)

Iris (ipro) | 277 comments Hi Lana, Welcome!
I love the title C.E.O of Parenting & Domestic Services. How did you come up with the title? Also, I noticed you also have 2 children, was any of the book based on your own experiences?
Thanks

message 6: by Dani (new)

Dani Collins (danicollins) Hi Lana,
I'm curious about your body of work. The Avalon trilogy seems a departure from the other two mentioned above.
Could you talk a little about how you moved toward SFF and whether you'll still pursue contemporary 'normal world' stories?

message 7: by Kami (last edited Nov 28, 2012 07:19AM) (new)

Kami (aidansmama) | 973 comments What is your favorite part of your book? What part was the hardest part to write? Do you outline?

message 8: by Lorena (last edited Nov 28, 2012 09:51AM) (new)

Lorena (ravette) | 19 comments Hello! Thank you for answering questions for us!

How do you get started with writing a story (as in, how do you start developing the story, how do you get inspired for it)?

Macwolf01 [Elise] (macwolf01) | 1012 comments Hi Lana! Thanks for chatting!

Do you find there is a great difference when writing for adults vs YA?

message 10: by Kami (new)

Kami (aidansmama) | 973 comments What do you think of the popularity recently of the tough, teenage, female protagonist? (Hunger Games, Divergent etc.)
I know when I was an actual young adult, most protagonists of the books geared toward me were boys, except for Nancy Drew, my only choices were The Babysitters Club and Sweet Valley High. I guess that is why I read them now since I missed out when I was an actual young adult.

message 11: by Lana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lana Davison (lanadavison) | 12 comments Dragana wrote: "Hello Lana,
Thank you for joining us. :)

Your book sounds very interesting, but the title makes me wonder...
Book & series name is 'Avalon' (legendary island featured in the Arthurian legend) but ..."

Hi Dragana,

No my book has nothing to do with the legendary island featured in the Arthurian legend.

Avalon in my book, is a planet with too many rules and restrictions. Somewhat similar to earth but also many differences.

message 12: by Lana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lana Davison (lanadavison) | 12 comments Lily (Lily Pond Reads) wrote: "Hi Lana :) welcome!

1. Can you tell me how did you get the inspiration to write Avalon?
2. Which character was the easiest to write? :)"

Hi Lily,

My inspiration from Avalon formed over a period of time, it wasn't over night. Lots of thought and discussion with my paranormal friends : )

I found Holly the easy character to write as I was once a teenage girl.

message 13: by Lana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lana Davison (lanadavison) | 12 comments Iris wrote: "Hi Lana, Welcome!
I love the title C.E.O of Parenting & Domestic Services. How did you come up with the title? Also, I noticed you also have 2 children, was any of the book based on your own exper..."

Iris - Yes the book was initially based on my family : ) I too love the title but it is hard to find on the internet. For example, on Amazon it might not come up with CEO you would have to type in C.E.O and this is annoying for customers, but hey what can I do...

Re: The Name - You know I can't remember how this came about. Perhaps I saw it somewhere, or heard it. I did however state this as my occupation on a entry card when I landed in Lagos.

Thanks for asking.

message 14: by Lana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lana Davison (lanadavison) | 12 comments Kami wrote: "What is your favorite part of your book? What part was the hardest part to write? Do you outline?"

The hardest part of the book was writing Avalon (the place) scenes. In fact, I deleted a few chapters half way through the book as I wanted to change what I wanted the reader to know and not to know.

Re: Outline - Yes I did have an broad outline but I knew exactly what I wanted to write before I sat down. One of the ways I do this is through exercise. I like to go on long bike rides and mull over my ideas. Usually upon my return home I know what I want to say in the next scene.

message 15: by Lana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lana Davison (lanadavison) | 12 comments Kami wrote: "What is your favorite part of your book? What part was the hardest part to write? Do you outline?"

Sorry Kami, you asked what the favorite part of the book was. I guess it was the night club scene, when Holly sees Leo - I won't say too much here in case you read it and I don't want to be a fun spoiler.

message 16: by Lana (last edited Nov 29, 2012 01:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lana Davison (lanadavison) | 12 comments Lorena wrote: "Hello! Thank you for answering questions for us!

How do you get started with writing a story (as in, how do you start developing the story, how do you get inspired for it)?"

Lorena,

Inspiration comes from music, dreams, other books, friends, life. They may or may not develop into something. With Avalon, I was having a shower, while listening to music and the whole story manifested in my head. I got out of the shower, picked up my blackberry and wrote a rough outline while my towel was still wrapped around me : )

message 17: by Lana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lana Davison (lanadavison) | 12 comments Macwolf01 [Elise] wrote: "Hi Lana! Thanks for chatting!

Do you find there is a great difference when writing for adults vs YA?"

No and yes. Yes and no. While all my books are different, I haven't really thought about it too much. I just start writing.

message 18: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine | 624 comments Hi Lana....I just saw your books..and read the synopsis. I think it looks like it will be a good read. it may take me a while to get to it, but i can't wait!

How do you determine what your characters will be shaped as...in personality, morals, etc?

do you take any thing from real life and put it into your stories?

message 19: by Lanny (new)

Lanny | 3 comments hi lana. i think avalon is great. by the way i want to know what your idea about your new book? and how about maybe you change your genre from YA to contemporary?

thanks

message 20: by Lana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lana Davison (lanadavison) | 12 comments Kami wrote: "What do you think of the popularity recently of the tough, teenage, female protagonist? (Hunger Games, Divergent etc.)
I know when I was an actual young adult, most protagonists of the books geare..."

Kami, I think showing a strong minded young female adult reflects the way women have moved on. It's fantastic!

message 21: by Lana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lana Davison (lanadavison) | 12 comments Catherine wrote: "Hi Lana....I just saw your books..and read the synopsis. I think it looks like it will be a good read. it may take me a while to get to it, but i can't wait!

How do you determine what your char..."

Catherine, Good question. I think about my characters and their background and how their past might shape their future. I know the characters well before I put pen to paper and yes I definitely take my life experiences into account when writing but I don't want my characters to be me, so I only use my experience to 'shape' the protagonists.

message 22: by Lana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lana Davison (lanadavison) | 12 comments Lanny wrote: "hi lana. i think avalon is great. by the way i want to know what your idea about your new book? and how about maybe you change your genre from YA to contemporary?

thanks"

Hi Lanny, I write a book called Don't You Remember? and this is a contemporary romance, so writing a YA Paranormal was a real challenge but also a new take on a young romance.

message 23: by Kami (new)

Kami (aidansmama) | 973 comments What book are you reading now? Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

message 24: by Fran, Moderator (new) - added it

Fran | 11052 comments Welcome Lana!

Thanks so much for joining us. I am reading Avalon now and enjoying it. I'm not that far in yet and she hasn't met Leo. Looking forward to that!

Do you have a timeline for the next two in the trilogy? How soon can we expect the next one?

message 25: by Lana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lana Davison (lanadavison) | 12 comments Hi Fran, Thank you so much for organising this Q & A, I really appreciate it. The next book is due out in January. Happy reading.

message 26: by Lana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lana Davison (lanadavison) | 12 comments Hi Kami,

I am reading a few books at the moment, both fiction and non-fiction. I'm working my way through all the J R Ward Black Dagger Brotherhood books. I love J.R Ward's style of writing in Black Dagger Brotherhood, she keeps you turning the pages and shows you a whole new world within a world if that makes sense.

message 27: by Fran, Moderator (new) - added it

Fran | 11052 comments Thanks so much for joining us Lana! It was so nice to chat with you :)

Stay tuned for the 3 winners of Lana's latest release, Avalon.

message 28: by Fran, Moderator (new) - added it

Fran | 11052 comments Congratulations to.......Catherine, Kami and Dragana!

You three have been randomly selected by Lana and have won an ecopy of Avalon Avalon (Avalon, #1) by Lana Davison .

Please send Lana a PM with your email address and she will get your copy right out to you :)

message 29: by Kami (new)

Kami (aidansmama) | 973 comments Oh cool! Yay!

message 30: by Dragana (new) - added it

Dragana (diaryofthebookdragon) As Kami said yay. :)