The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > Liveship Traders should I carry on reading.

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey im about a 3rd of the way through Robin Hobb's Liveship Trsders first book and its not grabbing me, im not sure why really, its just not exciting me for the next book and I wondered whether to carry on with it. I loved the Farseer Trilogy and wanted to read The Tawney Man but read that it was good to read these first. Am I giving up too soon, does it get gritty, would it be a good idea to carry on.

message 2: by Mach (last edited Sep 21, 2012 09:11AM) (new)

Mach | 46 comments You should deifinetly stick with it, it starts of slow as all off Hobb's books but once you get into it you can't put it down. I actually like it slightly more then Farseer.

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments Lucy wrote: "Hey im about a 3rd of the way through Robin Hobb's Liveship Trsders first book and its not grabbing me, im not sure why really, its just not exciting me for the next book and I wondered whether to..."

The first book is the slowest and least of the bunch imo. I really like Robin Hobb and her meandering style but I found that book to drag at first as well. It does pick up and the trilogy conclusion is excellent IMO.

My suggestion is: Finish the book, and if afterwards you're not interested in how the trilogy plays out you can skip ahead to the Tawny Man trilogy.

It is true though that the events in Liveship have an impact on the story of Tawny Man. They also shed some insight in the Fool's character.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks guys, its the encouragement I needed.

message 5: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6785 comments Mod
I'm almost done with it myself and I'm enjoying it. It did take maybe 100 pages or before I really got into it though.

message 6: by Maurine (last edited Sep 25, 2012 01:43PM) (new)

Maurine Tritch (maurinejt) Glad you decided to keep with it! I have a friend with that exact same problem. I think it IS very slow at first and a lot of the characters you're supposed to identify with aren't entirely sympathetic. But things change quickly. One character in this trilogy actually gets my subjective award for "most changed character". Ever. And reasons to love Kennit: for doing the absolute right things for the worst reasons. He's one of the most interesting anti-hero/villain I've ever come across.

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian Roberts | 143 comments Hmm the live ship traders is my least favourite robin hobb and I love her other stuff. I ploughed through it in the end but honestly I don't think you would miss out on something awesome if you didn't. So probably depends on whether you are a completist at all costs or not

message 8: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha (craniumrinse) Liveship traders was my least favorite too. But I hate telling people to give up on a book. You might end up really enjoying it.

If not, read the Tawny Man series next. It is hands down my favorite!

message 9: by Eric (new)

Eric Gardner | 113 comments Paragon is awesome stick with it!!

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments Ian wrote: "Hmm the live ship traders is my least favourite robin hobb "

Are you including the Soldier's Son trilogy in that?

message 11: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha (craniumrinse) Kate wrote: "Ian wrote: "Hmm the live ship traders is my least favourite robin hobb "

Are you including the Soldier's Son trilogy in that?"

I know you didn't ask me, but I gotta say, i really enjoyed Soldier's Son. Maybe it's cruel of me, but I think Robin Hobb is at her best when she's torturing her protagonist.

message 12: by Ian (new)

Ian Roberts | 143 comments Did I include Soldier Son - yes, I actually like that better, the setting and concept are quite different and original even if its a slog at times. The liveship traders is just ho hum fantasy that was Ok but nothing special about it - just felt a resounding 'meh'

message 13: by Kevin (last edited Sep 28, 2012 04:50AM) (new)

Kevin | 701 comments Ayesha wrote: "Kate wrote: "Ian wrote: "Hmm the live ship traders is my least favourite robin hobb "

Are you including the Soldier's Son trilogy in that?"
I know you didn't ask me, but I gotta say, i really enjo..."

I didn't care as much for the series, it's not the torturing of the protagonist, but I simply don't like the protagonist. (Poor Fitz goes through enough shit, and I love him.) Nevare is such a passive figure, never sticking up for himself and every time he does do something it's something stupid. He is just frustrating.

It was well written and imaginative though.

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments Thanks for the feedback. I couldn't get through the first Soldier's Son book, might have to give it another go.

message 15: by Maurine (new)

Maurine Tritch (maurinejt) I've only read book one in the Soldier's son series when it first came out. I need to reread that one and continue on to the rest of the series. Needless to say, I didn't love the first one. Coming off of Fool's Fate, disappointed and upset might be more accurate. I basically stopped giving it a chance when I met that character (the name escapes me) who is EXACTLY like Sam Tarly in the Game of Thrones books.

So funny, most of my friends that have read Robin Hobb vastly prefer the Assassin Books to the Ship series; I'm exactly the opposite. I LOVE the Liveship Traders. The characters are fantastic, the plot is intricate and moves right along--this can be a problem in her other books--the writing is exquisite and the whole nautical motif is so compelling. It was my introduction to Robin Hobb and I still consider them her best.

message 16: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (lindsattack) | 4 comments I went straight from the Farseerer trilogy to the Tawny man trilogy, honestly because I didn't know the Liveship traders existed. I just saw Fitz's name on the back of the book and was like "Awesome, more books about him! Buying!" So I'd say you could easily skip the Liveship books and come back. I'm still trying to start them...

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Im glad I took the advice of a few of you here to keep reading The Liveship Traders, im now about 20% through the Mad Ship and loving it, it has really grabbed me, so im glad I carried on.

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. :)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Kevin.

message 20: by Paul (new)

Paul | 100 comments Have just completed The Mad Ship and waiting for the local library to get the Ship of Destiny.

I also found the start a little slow with the but once I became orientated with the various sub-plots and characters it has gone fairly well for me. Just afew slowish phases usually where I want to tear my hair out at Malta's attitude.

FWIW I had picked up Shaman's Crossing, the first of The Solder's Tales. It is okay so far. Got interesting when it suddenly went Carlos Castaneda, but has slowed down again.
I personally don't like first person narrative. Hobb pulled it off well imho in The Farseer Trilogy, but in Shaman's Crossing it falls into the pitfalls of the limited PoV.