The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Project Eternity

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (last edited Sep 21, 2012 08:29AM) (new)

Kevin | 701 comments So, anyone else as excited by this as I am?

http://eternity.obsidian.net/
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/o...

It's a kickstarter funded project by game developing studio Obsidian Entertainment to create a game inspired by the classic cRPGs using the Infinity Engine (Planescape, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale). They raised their 1.1 million dollar target in just over 24 hours and the number is still steadily climbing with another 25 days to go.

What has me excited is this: Obsidian was founded by, and then cannibalized, personnel from the legendary Black Isle studios after it was dissolved, topped off with talent from other RPG development teams. Black Isle is directly responsible for, or played a role in, those games named above and more. So this means that people who played a key role in creating genre classics like Fallout 1&2, Baldur's Gate 1&2, Arcanum, ... are all part of the development team for this new game. For instance the lead designer (and writer) of Planescape: Torment, widely regarded as one of the best story driven experiences on PC, is working on this project.

As someone who holds up Baldur's Gate 2 as the pinnacle of game design and has been lacking for something like it for over 10 years* this project has me all giddy. So giddy that I splurged a little and pledged enough money to get me a collector's edition, not even caring about the international shipping fees. Definitely the most money I ever payed for an entertainment product by far and it hasn't even left the stages of concept design yet ...

*Despite Bioware's claims, Dragon Age is so very much NOT like it.

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark (beyondwords_uk) | 8 comments I contributed last night and am not sure I can withhold my excitement! So long to wait for the release. As a huge Baldurs Gate fun this is the game I've been waiting for. Keep the updates coming!

message 3: by Gene (new)

Gene Obsidian Entertainment is notorious for developing very buggy games with great plot and good gameplay. Hope the new model of development help them with bug squashing :)

message 4: by Neil (new)

Neil | 165 comments This sounds cool. Didnt come to the Baldurs gate party until it was way too late and found it hard to get into. Would like another newer game in the same style.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments Evgeny wrote: "Obsidian Entertainment is notorious for developing very buggy games with great plot and good gameplay. Hope the new model of development help them with bug squashing :)"

Yep, they do have that reputation. And I've been very vocal about their failures in the past. (Nothing annoys me more than wasted potential!)

However, you can trace back the cause for all those buggy, unfinished games to their publishers. (Lucas Arts cut short the development time for Knight of the Old republic 2, forcing an unfinished release, Atari is notorious for pushing games out too early, as they did with Never Winter Nights 2, and Bethesda's lack of QA is legendary in the business (Fallout: New Vegas)

But I'm very hopeful, confident even, that their choice not to go with a publisher for this project will show that they are capable of releasing a pulished product. They have to, if they want this project to succeed and cary on with it past this one title as they are planning to.

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments The Kickstarter campaign is nearing it's end with only 33 hours left to go! So if anyone is still planning to throw money at this, now would be the time. :)

message 7: by Nixi (new)

Nixi (competine) | 28 comments Yay, somebody is talking about project eternity! :D Can't believe how much they got through kickstarter! Too bad it didn't hit 4mil. :O

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments They did if you count the contributions through Paypal (which they do). They got a bit over 4.1 million :)