Historical Info for Historical Fiction Readers discussion

Historical Personages > Richard III grave site dig

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne (gloucester) | 3 comments Just returned from France and getting back to a routine, and was surprised no one had discussed the extraordinary news that Richard's grave may have been found during an archeological dig in Leicester. It has been all over the news -- even in France! I have a vested interest, of course, having spent eight years of my life researching and writing my first book "A Rose for the Crown", which is about the "real" Richard and not Shakespeare's monster. I also contributed to the fund to carry out the dig. Here's an interesting link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48995408/...

Richard is the only crowned English king whose grave/bones have never been found.

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) You know, I have followed that news avidly (I'm a Yorkist at heart) and it just didn't occur to me to post anything here about it (life has been rather crazy!). I think that the DNA tests (if feasible) will prove interesting, because the osteological remains seem consistent with what was known of Richard's appearance in life.

I will look forward to reading your book, Anne. Loyaulte me lie.

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne (gloucester) | 3 comments Yes, scoliosis is certainly not inconsistent with a possible higher shoulder, but he was no hunchback. Half the people on the planet have one form of scoliosis or another -- Usain Bolt for one!
Hope enjoy the book (and the others are all about the York family too during the Wars of the Roses, Sharon.)

message 4: by Debra (new)

Debra Brown (debrabrown) | 957 comments Mod
I've been following the news avidly and am very excited about it. I don't know why I didn't think to bring it here. I guess I assumed that everyone in the world was virtually sitting on the edge of that dig with me.

Your money was very well spent, Anne!

message 5: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Anne wrote: "Yes, scoliosis is certainly not inconsistent with a possible higher shoulder, but he was no hunchback. Half the people on the planet have one form of scoliosis or another -- Usain Bolt for one!
Hop..."

I'm one of those people. :-)