Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived: Threads, misc. > Little Things I Never Thought Of...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Just a place to post little tidbit items...

message 2: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Sep 21, 2012 07:18AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I've heard that a really easy way to clean a sponge is to run it through your dishwasher. Of course, you should put it in the silverware catch-all so it doesn't float around and get hung up in the motor blades.

Here's more:

How to Clean a Dish Sponge

message 3: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I do that with our bath poofs.

message 4: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments You run your bath poofs through the dishwasher? Or put them in the microwave?

message 5: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments dishwasher

message 6: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments I've started using a skirt hanger to hold onto my recipe books and hang them over the cupboards above my head. Keeps the recipe book at eye level, mess-free and leaves me with more bench (counter) space. I originally saw that tidbits on pinterest.

message 7: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Ah, yes. I have something similar to one of these...

...but it does take up counter space! I like the hanging idea.

message 8: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Lol I never wash my kitchen sponges, I use them for about a week for the dishes, and I use a cup of bleach in the dishwater with the soap, and by the time the week's up, they're all fallin' apart and the scratchy side is all flattened and useless for scrubbing the dishes so I throw 'em out. :o

message 9: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Lmao that sounded dirty. I don't mean I leave them with food stuck to 'em, or anything like that, I just meant I don't have a dishwasher. I do clean the sponges after the dishes are done, rinse 'em out and stuff... :x Lol.

message 10: by Robin (Saturndoo) (last edited Sep 21, 2012 07:56PM) (new)

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) I run my sponges through the dishwasher or microwave them for 1 minute. They also get a lot of bleach on them as I use a little bit of bleach in my dishwater to wipe off the counters etc...

I used to clean houses for a living and learned a lot of little sneaky tricks LOL One that I absolutely love is using denture tablets to clean the toilet bowl and after I flush it down after cleaning I use a little bleach,swish it around just to make sure all the germs are gone LOLOL

message 11: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 369 comments Robin! I need you help with my windows! No matter what they're streaky. I've used windex with papertowels, dishtowels, newspaper. They're still streaky. What am I doing wrong?

message 12: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Heloise says use vinegar. Or there was another one, cornstarch and water or something like that, but it's for the outsides of the windows, b/c you have to rinse it off when you're done scrubbing. We did it for the windows over at my friend's grandma's house years ago, made the windows nice and sparkly, but it was a pain in the butt. I'd have to google it though to find the correct recipe for that. :D

message 13: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 369 comments I'll try the vinegar with papertowels. Maybe that'll make the difference.

message 14: by Robin (Saturndoo) (last edited Sep 21, 2012 09:15PM) (new)

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) Carolyn F. wrote: "Robin! I need you help with my windows! No matter what they're streaky. I've used windex with papertowels, dishtowels, newspaper. They're still streaky. What am I doing wrong?"

Windows are tricky...You can use a solution of vinegar and water but if I were going to use that I would use newspapers and NOT paper towels. I generally use windex and paper towels and the trick is when dirt appears on the paper towel toss it and get clean ones. The dirt on the paper towel/or it gets really wet it will cause the streaking. Another thing is if direct light (like the sun) is hitting the window while cleaning it dries the windex/vinegar & water solution fairly quickly which will also cause some streaking. So I would suggest that do small sections at a time with lots of solution. Usually the wetter the window the less streaking you will have.

message 15: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 369 comments Most of the windows are in direct sunlight - so thanks you guys!

message 16: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Oh, yes! My aunt used to use the denture cleaners for her porcelain fixtures. LOL!

My uncle, who was a contractor, used to use newspapers to clean windows - that, and vinegar water.

message 17: by Robin (Saturndoo) (last edited Sep 23, 2012 12:24AM) (new)

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) Lisa Kay wrote: "Oh, yes! My aunt used to use the denture cleaners for her porcelain fixtures. LOL!

My uncle, who was a contractor, used to use newspapers to clean windows - that, and vinegar water."

YEP.....newspaper works best with vinegar and water...IDKY but it just does.

LOL well I guess the denture cleaners work so well on porcelain fixtures and "thrones" because false teeth are porcelain (I'm assuming dentures are still porcelain...who knows what they make them with now a days)

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Laugh out load moment - I just told my father about the vinegar and water solution for cleaning windows and he was convinced that I was referring to Microsoft Windows. What is the world coming to when the first thing that comes to mind when you say "windows" is a computer program...

message 19: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments Lauren wrote: "Laugh out load moment - I just told my father about the vinegar and water solution for cleaning windows and he was convinced that I was referring to Microsoft Windows. What is the world coming to w..."

LOL!!

message 20: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Maybe that we need to get off the computer and clean our windows. LOL!

message 21: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Rose | 5 comments Lauren wrote: "Laugh out load moment - I just told my father about the vinegar and water solution for cleaning windows and he was convinced that I was referring to Microsoft Windows. What is the world coming to w..."

Lol! Your father is so funny.

message 22: by Terab (new)

Terab  (fiddylover) | 54 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "You run your bath poofs through the dishwasher? Or put them in the microwave?"

It gets super hot in the microwave, dishwsher is easier

message 23: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "I've heard that a really easy way to clean a sponge is to run it through your dishwasher. Of course, you should put it in the silverware catch-all so it doesn't float around and get hung up in the..."

What I always do is that I put in the sink and pour a whole boiling kettle over it .That cleans it doesn't it?

message 24: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Sep 24, 2012 04:24PM) (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "Robin! I need you help with my windows! No matter what they're streaky. I've used windex with papertowels, dishtowels, newspaper. They're still streaky. What am I doing wrong?"

Use a squeegee on them after cleaning it with glass spray and water and a cloth that doesn't have lint , my husband is a cleaning freak , he does most of the cleaning in our house and that's one of the things he does , he uses squeegee on everything . Different squeegee for bathroom floor another for the windows ,another for the deck ,another for the car ...

message 25: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments ShoSho wrote: "my husband is a cleaning freak, he does most of the cleaning in our house"

Lucky you!! Lol. Mine wouldn't clean the bathroom or anything like that unless he lived alone. But he'll complain if it's dirty >.<

message 26: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Sep 25, 2012 09:14AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Here's another cleaning tip I never thought of. Makes sense, as they would attract dirt and grime. Plus, double use is great for the environment.

[image error]
Used dryer sheet (or new) cuts your bathroom cleaning time in half. Makes mirrors bath fixtures sparkle(no streaks). Cuts right through soap scum on bathtub and makes the bathroom smell great!

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) Lisa Kay wrote: "Here's another cleaning tip I never thought of. Makes sense, as they would attract dirt and grime. Plus, double use is great for the environment.

Used dryer sheet (or new) cuts your bathroom cle..."

After I use a new dryer sheet in the dryer I run it back through the next load of clothes being washed to get that extra fabric softener in the clothes.

message 28: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Sep 25, 2012 08:24PM) (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Kit★ wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "my husband is a cleaning freak, he does most of the cleaning in our house"

Lucky you!! Lol. Mine wouldn't clean the bathroom or anything like that unless he lived alone. But he'll c..."

It's not always a good thing , he expects me to keep everything clean and is always scowling at me for messing the kitchen after cooking !!! but the good thing is I've washed the bathroom or toilet less than ten times in the last 5 years or so !!! and it's always shiny and clean!

message 29: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Lisa Kay, I'd have never thought to clean the bathroom with a dryer sheet. I use my used ones to dust with. *contemplates how many loads of laundry I can do today so I can try the dryer sheet in the bathroom*

message 30: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments This is going to sound stupid, but what's a dryer sheet? I have a dryer, but never used a dryer sheet..

message 31: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Fabric softner that is on a little disposable sheet that you throw in the dryer with the wet clothes. As it tumbles, the softner transfers to the clothes.

message 32: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments oh cool! I wonder if we have them over here and I've just never noticed them. Thanks Susan!

message 33: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments They soften, make them smell good, and some (or most) eliminate static cling, if I'm not mistaken.

message 34: by Robin (Saturndoo) (last edited Sep 29, 2012 08:19PM) (new)

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) Yep you are right LK they do help with static cling. I am now trying out the Bounce Bar to maybe get rid of the dryer sheets. I know the bars have been out for quite some time but have never tried one until now.

Funny story: Me and the Mister we are Wally World shopping a few days ago and we were looking at the dryer sheets & prices. I picked up a Bounce Dryer Bar and was reading the packaging and then looking at the replacement bars etc when some girl walked up. We were discussing whether or not we should buy one and try it when Ms Chick said "Those really work good. I really love them." So we thought ok maybe we should get one. Then all of a sudden I look at him and he looks at me as she picks up a box of dryer sheets and walks off. We were both thinking, hmmmmmmm if she has had a dryer bar,used them, likes them why wasn't she buying a replacement bar/or new bar instead of a box of dryer sheets LOLOLOLOLOL

Needless to say, we ended up getting a Bounce Dryer Bar to see if they really work.

message 35: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I don't know what this "dryer bar" is...will have to check it out, ♥Robin♥.

message 36: by Hayley (new)

Hayley (mrsjohnson1985) | 718 comments I had one of the Bounce Dryer Bars and I didn't care for it in my opinion. Mine actually fell off in the dryer, it didn't stick very well to the side! And then, part of the glue stuff on the back of it stuck to the side of the dryer and caught all this lint and stuff.. It was a PAIN the BUTT. BUT, I've heard others had no problem with it. Guess it was my luck :).

I use dryer sheets for all kind of things. I use them for mosquito repellent, just wipe one on my legs and arms when I step outside, it works magic, and I'm not all sticky with bug spray!

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) Hayley wrote: "I had one of the Bounce Dryer Bars and I didn't care for it in my opinion. Mine actually fell off in the dryer, it didn't stick very well to the side! And then, part of the glue stuff on the back..."

LOL I have heard people say that they have had problems with the dryer bars like that Hayley. So far ours has stuck to the dryer and it hasn't broke either ☺

I use dryer sheets for mosquito repellent too!!! I also have used them to keep ants away.

message 38: by Hayley (new)

Hayley (mrsjohnson1985) | 718 comments Yeah I didn't have much luck with it Robin LOL. So I stick to the dryer sheets :). I also use those Purex Crystals for fabric softener too! I LOVE those things! So much easier than traditional fabric softener!

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) Hayley wrote: "Yeah I didn't have much luck with it Robin LOL. So I stick to the dryer sheets :). I also use those Purex Crystals for fabric softener too! I LOVE those things! So much easier than traditional ..."

LOL I use the Crystals too!!!! I love them...makes your clothes smell so YUMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYY!!!!!!

message 40: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I just recently heard about the drier sheets as a mosquito repellent. Interesting.

message 41: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Oct 21, 2012 06:41PM) (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Never heard of drier sheets before this thread but it'd be great if I can find them here . I'm prone to mosquito bites and I have some kind of allergy to them . I am sporting 4 red angry swollen spots on my hand and knee and they will look like purplish bruises in a couple of days. and i hate the sticky feeling of mossie repellent !
let's see if I can find them here

message 42: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments They smell good, too! I hope you find them, ShoSho!

message 43: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Dryer sheets as mosquito repellent? That's a great tip! I noticed yesterday the mosquitoes were awful in our yard.

message 44: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments I will definitely try the dryer sheets as bug repellent. We do a lot of stuff outside with the kid, and I don't want him getting bit, but I hate the nasty smell of bug spray, especially the kind we use when we go hiking, the Deep Woods OFF. It's horrid smelling. But it works lol.

message 45: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yeah, I don't know if the dryer sheets would work on ticks!

message 46: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Ooh, yea, we get ticks bad around here. I found bunches of 'em on me and the dog and cat and the boys this summer. And the pets get Frontline from the vet, so they shouldn't get 'em, but they did anyways...

message 47: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments ShoSho wrote: "Never heard of drier sheets before this thread but it'd be great if I can find them here . I'm prone to mosquito bites and I have some kind of allergy to them . I am sporting 4 red angry swollen sp..."

Shosho, let me know if you can find them here. I've been looking in Woolies and Coles with no luck. Saw some on ebay, but they were $77!

message 48: by Lina (last edited Oct 22, 2012 02:34PM) (new)

message 49: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments CaroB wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "Never heard of drier sheets before this thread but it'd be great if I can find them here . I'm prone to mosquito bites and I have some kind of allergy to them . I am sporting 4 red a..."
no :( I check Coles website , there nothing like that on there , is it possible it has another name here?

message 50: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments CaroB wrote: "Just FYI, also saw this:

http://greentrashcan.com.au/2010/01/1...

and this:
http://www.mynewoldschool.com/2010/07..."

Haha , I don't use a drier I mean I don't even have one , I didn't buy one after we moved . It doesn't matter it's summer or winter I hang my laundry on lines ! That article is right there is big different in sheets that were dried in sunshine and the ones dried in drier!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.