Litwit Lounge discussion

Lounge: OPEN, please come in... > The weekend is here...

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Reggia (new)

Reggia | 2256 comments Have any plans for the weekend?

message 2: by Reggia (new)

Reggia | 2256 comments Hmm, not even reading a book? ;)

message 3: by Ruth (new)

Ruth I made a note to myself this morning to finish Barry Hannah's Boomerang today. But, alas, moments ago I've decided to admit defeat. It's a beautiful warm sunny Sunday and I'm not going to spend it with this book. Hannah doesn't seem to be able to decide if he wants to write a memoir or a novel. He ends up with an unsettling, unstructured group of bits and pieces and I'm unable to get interested. Hate giving up on a book, but life is too short.

message 4: by Reggia (new)

Reggia | 2256 comments It certainly is and we're all to aware of how many other books are out there.

I haven't done much all weekend. Just sort of moping, my oldest child left home and it's just so strange without him. I did wake up in the middle of the night and got a fair amount of reading done before I fell back asleep. I don't seem to spend much time reading during the day anymore and would really like to change that.

Enjoy your good weather! Here we are having a lot of rain and temps a little cooler (not quite 60°) -- both unusual this time of year.

message 5: by Reggia (last edited Feb 10, 2009 08:21PM) (new)

Reggia | 2256 comments Thanks for understanding, Alice. His birthday is tomorrow; it's going to be tough but at least we got to celebrate it before he left. Thank goodness for cellphones, we had a lengthy texting conversation this morning.

I've been very suspicious of having ADD myself. I think maybe I always did but since I was quiet and a girl with no hyperactivity, it didn't really present itself.

Anyway, hope you have a great time in Taos. Heard it was pretty cold there last week but I hope you get good weather.

message 6: by Reggia (new)

Reggia | 2256 comments New weekend, same question. Also, how is everyone doing?

It was very sad to learn of the horrific fires and tragic loss in Australia. My heart goes out to all there, for surely everyone is affected in some way.

message 7: by Barbara (last edited Feb 16, 2009 04:11PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) I seem to have got to the stage of reading , in no particualar order, but more or less at the same time - well, you know what I mean.
Women In the Old Testament ( NL)
The Bible ( as ref for above )
Wayside Tavern ( NL)
Put On by Cunning Ruth Rendell)
The Dressmaker (Rosalie Ham)
and I just got
Lovers All Untrue ( NL)
whcih I thought I might start to re-read...

message 8: by Reggia (new)

Reggia | 2256 comments What do you think of The Dressmaker so far? Would you believe that a character in one of the books I'm reading is reading that? LOL, hope that made sense. She was reading a Bible but didn't want her visiting brother to think she was doing so for show so began reading The Dressmaker whenever he was around.

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) I'm enjoying it ( well, in between other things as you can see) There is a touch of the gothic about it - you know - odd people doing odd things in country towns

message 10: by Reggia (new)

Reggia | 2256 comments
odd people doing odd things in country towns

Teeheehe. ;)

Not much happening here this weekend, however, my week-long migraine ended today! :D

The weather is warming to the 70s(F), must enjoy it while it lasts.

message 11: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) Warming up here too again, not so pleasantly, 41C ( 105 F plus) by Friday.........

message 12: by Reggia (new)

Reggia | 2256 comments I'm afraid it came back. :(

We're into the 80s now, and I wish it would hold steady there, lol, but it won't. Do you get many days over 100F?

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Reggia, Keep a food diary as I found out my migraines were due to food allergies. The main ones seem to be: citrus, chocolate, sulfites in wine and dried fruit (molyBdenum can help that), cheese especially cheddar they say. I was also advised by a doctor to try Germanium which in my case has worked miracles but my EI group warned of neurological problems. I still use it as it works for me and often nothing else does. My migraines tend to be electromagnetic in nature and you can read about this in The Body Electric chapter 2 or 3 in The Whole Way to ..duh! sorry brain on fritz. Look for Dr. Jacqueline Krohn's books. I often get migraines when a big storm comes up. I may get asthma at the same time due to pressure changes. So read about it and you may help yourself. ;-)

message 14: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (rhondak) Alice wrote: "I found out my migraines were due to food allergies. The main ones seem to be: citrus, chocolate, sulfites in wine and dried fruit (molyBdenum can help that), chees..."
For the record, it isn't the sulfites in wine that cause the headaches. People usually get red wine headaches and there are more sulfites in white wine. I have been a believer that histamines cause the headaches but research seems to negate that.
One thing I discovered is that migraine headaches have their root in some of the things we did and ate 2-3 days before we get the headache! My daughter had to be weaned from white flour and chocolate to keep them under control. It was more painful for me, actually.
I look forward to reading The Body Electric: maybe we don't know nearly as much as we think we do in our modern world about ourselves.

message 15: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) Gabi wrote: "Barbara has had weeks of over 40C this summer. Thank the Lord she lives at the beach. ..."

Yes, very true Gabi, today and for the last few days it has been blessedly cool with actual rain falling, albeit for very short time. Bliss.

It is the wedding season and the Palais, on the beach at the bottom of my street a 1922 Art Deco place is very popular for receptions. Today I was walkign the dogs for their evenign walk and we ran into two separate wedding parties, getting artistic photos done in the sand dunes ( you know, barefoot in wedding gown ,kissing teh groom with backdrop of jetty and sunset )

Well now there are are two at least with added backdrop of stout middleaged lady in shorts hissing " dogs dogs, Julia, Sophie, come here at ONCE "

message 16: by Reggia (last edited Mar 07, 2009 08:12AM) (new)

Reggia | 2256 comments
Alice said: Keep a food diary as I found out my migraines were due to food allergies. The main ones seem to be: citrus, chocolate, sulfites in wine and dried fruit (molyBdenum can help that), cheese especially cheddar they say.

It really could be any of those but the migraines have gone on for the year, and I've only been using oranges off the tree since November. Chocolate & wine are very suspect to me, just can't figure out why sometimes I can get away with it and other times not. The other day I had both and the next day was 7 hours of headache, lots of OTC (over-the-counter) pain meds, some coffee & then was finally gone. I've had worse, still this just steals so much time. I'll look into the germanium, lol, I always confuse this with the flower geranium.

I am glad Barbara has the beach, too. I love warm weather but months of over 100°F makes me miserable, mostly because it paralyzes me and leaves me trapped inside. No beach here but at least the community pool helps.

LOL, Barbara, well, it's a public place, they will have to accept the locals in their photos. Glad you've had a little bit of cooling.

A little bit cooler this week but very nice temps: 70s F. I'd better enjoy it while it's here.

message 17: by Reggia (new)

Reggia | 2256 comments Gabi, do you do any stretching for your muscles? ever considered Pilates? The latter has been wonderful for me, keeps my muscles from being too tight and really does tone up the body as well.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Barbara wrote:
It is the wedding season and the Palais, on the beach at the bottom of my street a 1922 Art Deco place is very popular for receptions. Today I was walkign the dogs for their evenign walk and we ran into two separate wedding parties, getting artistic photos done in the sand dunes ( you know, barefoot in wedding gown ,kissing teh groom with backdrop of jetty and sunset )
~~~~~~~

Very cool! Green Mountain Falls is also a big place for weddings. There is a green and white gazebo in the middle of the lake and the groom and party stand under the gazebo while the bride walks out on the link to it called the Bridge's Walk. When we first came up here we saw a lovely wedding and they were all dressed like a Renaissance Faire so I simply loved it. There were two guys in kilts too. Not long after we moved in I did a painting of the gazebo at sunset called Mauve Sunset and sold several of them at The Pantry. I found out later that people bought them for those were had gotten married in the gazebo.

I did a watercolor of my husband standing in front of the Bridge's Walk and did it in lots of pink which he hated. He told me you are ruining it but it sold right away so now he claims in he immortalized, LOL! I got only $65.00 for it but it was a very quick work...back when I was able to do this kind of thing. It comes and goes being able to paint. Sometimes the muse leaves me for years!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Reggia, when I went temporarily blind with ocular migraine a lawyer told me to sip tea all afternoon. Per Dr. Sherry Rogers book coffee can actually cause migraine in some. Its a crossover to chocolate!!! Who would think it? She either writes about that in Tired or Toxic or The EI Syndrome.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I would love to look. For a short time I belonged to an International group for the environmentally ill run by a woman in Germany called Moon. I have a BA in Fine Art. My favorite place to visit is Taos as they sell millions of dollars worth of art out of there every year.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, tea helps. Well, I much prefer to sip my tea altho a few years ago I did buy some green tea tablets from immune support as its supposed to be so good and I cannot develop a taste for green tea.

My fav is Earl Grey and I am ready to drink it anytime. I have probably had about a quart of tea today!!!!!

message 22: by Reggia (new)

Reggia | 2256 comments Drink tea all day? I wonder if green tea would work as well.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I wish I could develop a taste for green tea but so far I cannot. I love mostly "black" ice tea. The lawyer told me that its the caffeine that does the trick. I am guessing it constricts the veins or relaxes them. In migraine the veins constrict (?) and then swell. Tea contains the asthma drug theophylline in minute quantities.

message 24: by Reggia (new)

Reggia | 2256 comments LOL, I feel the same way about black tea. My favorite green tea is made by The Yogi Tea Co., they have 3 different blends that I like a lot. I haven't found another green tea that I like as well, I just wish this one was a little cheaper.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I will sure try to remember The Yogi Tea Co. Thanks for this tip.

message 26: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 08, 2009 10:25PM) (new)

I like Jasmine tea when I have Chinese. When I lived in Japan the maid took me to some festival where I had to use chopsticks but I was unable to and very embarrassed to they had so find me a spoon. They thought it was super funny.

I cannot drink beer as it about kills me!! Too much yeast I guess. (or gluten?)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Very sharp of you Gabi to know about yeast! I am very allergic to it. I guess its due to celiac but not sure about that.
I can have some red or white wine now and again if I am very careful. I live not too far from the wines of Colorado where they sell local wines and others some even are sulfite free. They are awfully expensive but every so often I get one. I have to take MolyBdenum about every week which prevents my sulfite allergy.
That sounds wonderful to be able to tour the wineries by bus. I once about fell into the Rhine by tasting too many fab white wines.