The Giver (The Giver, #1) The Giver question

If you like this book why?
deleted member Sep 20, 2012 06:51PM
I personally love this book because of the whole dystopia idea but I was just curious why other people liked it.

i like this book, because well, the why it makes you feel. when he was seeing the vision of sliding down a hill of snow and he broke his leg or when he started to feel those feelings for that girl and he didn't want to take the medician. it kinda just takes your breath away if you know what i mean.

Samm (last edited Sep 20, 2012 07:56PM ) Sep 20, 2012 07:55PM   2 votes
I have to be honest and say I hated this book the first time I read it. Then when I had to read it for school, I fell in love with the language. Typically I hate these kind of books and avoid them (i.e. Hunger Games is not on my list to read nor will it ever be) but when we began to pull aprt each chapter in class, I could see the complexity and the deeper meaning behind what isn't in the book. For example in the beginning, no adjectives. That leads one to aks, why there isn't. Looking beyond the surface of the story has turned it into my story, something I could create for myslef. Everyone I'm sure has a different picture in their mind of what "the community" looks like, and at first I viewed it as a ghetto, then a compound, and then a sheltered valley nestled somewhere in the western regions of the United States: protected, sheltered and an experiment of peaceful living without any deformities of mind, body, or opinion.

I loved but hated the ending since it was nice knowing that they were happy but it got me sad thinking that those are probably just the memories going around them. I wanted to know exactly what happened to them. It was a really good book in my opinion.

I love the meanings behind it. The ending also made me love the book so much more. I love how Jonas didn't wanna be like eveyone else and how he realized that he didn't belong in that commuinity.

deleted member Dec 08, 2012 10:04PM   0 votes
The Giver was a thoughtful and well presented story. It evokes feeling from the reader and teaches important truths.

I read this book in middle school. It lead the way to me reading books that arent dicey fairy tales like this one. Open to interpretation is the word. The subjects are real the story is fiction.

I can say though, the right age group is key... It has some pretty hard supjects for younger kids under 10 or 11... You should probably be pretty mature even then.

I like it because it the society was dystopian but everyone in it thought that it was perfect. There was no group of misfit rebellious teens who had better morals than the terrorist president who wanted to put them back in their place in society! There was just an old man passing memories down to a 12 year old. Seeing those marvels that we take for granted from Jonas's point was a real eye opener for me.
Also, the society itself was so well thought out. I mean there was a group of people watching kids grow up so that they could decide their job! I mean no wonder civilians thought life was perfect, they got their jobs at twelve(?) and learned everything they needed to know for it.

U 25x33
Chase ur smurf lel iatrull u omg lel
Jun 14, 2016 08:07PM
U 25x33
Chase wanna play leauge of legends lel
Jun 14, 2016 08:07PM

I loved the ending. It could mean many different things to many different people. And has meant different things to me depending upon when I read it.

lol

I use "stirrings" quite frequent in parody though haha.

Is it wrong to suffer? Is it wrong to cause someone else to suffer? Is it wrong to let someone else suffer when you could prevent it? Or on the flip side, might there be benefits to suffering?

In an exceptionally creative way, Lowry challenges our preoccupation with avoiding pain. She presents us with a society that successfully eradicated most suffering, then shows what a painfree world might cost us.

Absolutely rich for exposing our own society's superficiality. Calls us to a deeper life.

Nadine (last edited Oct 21, 2012 02:14PM ) Oct 21, 2012 02:13PM   0 votes
I read it when I was very little, about ten. Back then, I remember I loved the descriptions and how the boy slowly began seeing his surroundings in a different way. I remember reading and re-reading the description of war. I liked the relationship that was formed between the boy and the Giver, but I was devastatingly disappointed with the ending.

I still can't get over how bad the ending was! I might have to read it again to see if my memory's playing some trick on me.

I read the giver when i was about 14 in school and i loved it instantly while it seemed everyone else hated it :P i just LLOOOVED the whole new world and the whole idea of this other community where everything was so... controlled and everything was 'the same'. and especially the whole no lying thing. I just love it all <3 <3 <3

The ending is one of the best ever written. It's several possible meanings only came to me through talking about it with other readers.

i hate the book

the book was so sweet. It was so sweet how the giver gave Jonas all these memories even if he didn't know what some of them meant. It was a really sweet and touching story. I thought it was very good.

I loved the book it has a complexity to it and a deeper meaning then what is seen at the surface.

James (last edited Dec 12, 2016 02:45PM ) Jun 09, 2016 05:34PM   0 votes
Personally, I DESPISE this book. everything it stands for! It's incredibly pretentious, insults your intelligence, has an idiotic twist that could be seen coming from a mile away, and is just a piece of [CENSORED] book that I will never recommend to ANYONE. If you like it, good for you. I respect your opinion, and I hope you respect mine. But personally, this is one of, if not THE worst book i've ever read.

I first read this book when I was younger. And I loved it. I saw the meaning between the lines, the questions and conflicting morals beneath the text. It's brilliant. It's a book that leaves you thinking. It was the first dysotopian-resembling novel I ever read.

The book so far is pretty good, I'm only on chapter five and its a great book. I like the fact that there is a controlled living environment and consequences if you break the rules. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to read a lot.

It was written really well. The ending was ingenious.

I loved this book because it shows how the world would and might be like if everything was "perfect" and everything was controlled.

I loved this book because I found the idea fascinating. It's actually very similar to what Nalini Singh's Psy characters do in her Psy/Changeling series, cutting off memories and emotion just to protect themselves. They stop seeing the world in color, literally and figuratively.
I remember reading this in middle school and I was blown away by it then, buying my own copy shortly after.

I found the world fascinating and the whole concept of passing on memories was cool.

I liked it because it made me feel alive in the book...
It was super interesting...
Super enduring...
Mysterious...
I read it in a day or two because I couldn't put it down...

Pain is millions of years of evolution. mental an physical pain is a warning that whatever we are touching or are experiencing can kill us. How is it fair to deprive people of pain.. and there fore life. Thats my issue. Without pain what are you? This book to me was exposing the fact we try to keep pain from people, and live dillusionally. Its why i never trust people that are happy all the time. Give me pain, Im alive. And the whole government symbolism. This book is deep in many ways. but if you want to see social injustice or cult-like society. look around. we are the givers. And we should be thankful for pain.

I read this book for the first time in middle school, and I remember thinking it was interesting. Now, I am a trauma therapist, and one of my former supervisors gave it to me recently as a gift. Re-reading it now made me see it in a whole new light. Suffering and painful emotions are so important for humanity, but people are afraid of them. People do not want to feel pain. People do not want to feel sad. But by depriving yourself or others of these emotions, you miss out on the rest of the beauty of life. You miss out on what's real. I loved this book.

I just read this book for the first time, all in (almost) one sitting. I loved the relationship between the giver and main character. I love the emotions the book evoked within me. I felt apathy toward the characters in the beginning of the book, concern when the main character first had the beginnings of the emotions, and extreme hatred/love at the end. I find myself thinking of many different endings to the book, and at first I was uncomfortable with this and now after some time, it is comforting.

It was a great book because I like mystery books with like leaving you with lots of questions and I thought it was unique and interesting.....although at first the book didn't make sense to me but later on I stared getting it and it was great.