Libba Bray Lovers! discussion

The Gemma Doyle Trilogy > Gemma Memorabilia!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 55 comments I'm a knitter. I signed up for a knitting swap. It's supposed to revolve around the theme of murder, magic, mystery, mayhem. We pick a character from a book and come up with some items "clues" to send to another person (some involve knitting). They're supposed to be able to guess the character's identity from the clues. So, I figure Gemma is involved in all those big M's right? I'm pretty good coming up with some Victorian bits to knit (lacy ruffly cuffs and collar), but we're also to include some other little gifts (candy,tea, whatever).....so Help, Help, Help! What little items would remind you of Gemma, the realm, Spence, etc. Please throw out some ideas!
Thanks!

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 5135 comments Mod
Lisa, this is an absolutely FABULOUS idea! I wish I could knit.

Hmm...well, if you could find a false bottom box that would be good. Maybe an Order like necklace, a revealing neckline, corset like cut, some thing like that.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 55 comments Oh Emma. You can knit. Sixty fourth graders at my school just learned to finger knit. Here's the link I used http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/FEATf... (there are videos on youtube also).

Thanks for the ideas... I think I can pull off variations of the first two! The corset, hmm, evil in the form of underwear!

message 4: by Emma (new)

Oh, now THAT I've done before. Hmmm, I might just have to do something Gemma Doyle related as well!

Lisa, you just summed corsets up in a sentence.

message 5: by Armina (new)

Armina I was on the AGATB website, and Libba Bray wrote a fact sheet thing about the Victorian Age. She said that the corset that they used for the cover of the book is a real Victorian corset and that the model couldn't fit in it. The MODEL couldn't fit it!!!!!

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 55 comments And you have to wonder just who really thought that wearing a corset was a good idea.

message 7: by Lexi (new)

Lexi (theonecalledwhatsername) whoever it was is insane

message 8: by Armina (new)

Armina i totally agree

message 9: by Lisa (last edited Mar 20, 2009 06:30PM) (new)

Lisa | 55 comments Update FYI on this Murder, Mystery, Mayhem secret exchange thing. I sent three packages (trilogy, haha) The first included sari silk yarn, tea with a tiger on the box, a naan bread mix, Victorian stitch markers and marigold seeds (celebration flowers for a birthday celebration). The girl who got them felt that the clues pointed toward the Fourth Realm Trilogy by John Twelve Hawks....just so you know. Interesting looking series.

The second box included a Victorian lace neckwarmer (knit by me), a box of English Cream tea, tea etiquette booklet, yarn from an English company, and a pair of slippers for the cold floors at Spence. That last clue tipped it, and she figured out the Gemma Doyle Trilogy (but hasn't read it)lol. The last box (she hasn't gotten yet) includes the crescent/eye necklace, dosa makings, a copy of AGTB, and a knitted washcloth with the author's home state (Texas) on it. This will be funny, because the recipient lives in TX right now! Thanks for all the great ideas guys!

message 10: by Emma (new)

Wow, that's very clever I really like that! :D

message 11: by Lexi (new)

Lexi (theonecalledwhatsername) yea me too thats really cool