English Mysteries Club discussion

Discussions > In-Person Book Clubs?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 57) (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jean-Luke (new)

Jean-Luke (proteaprince) | 311 comments Mod
How many of you are part of real-life book clubs? Do you prefer them to be in-person or are you perfectly content with Goodreads? Thanks Sharla!

message 2: by Penny (new)

Penny I have an in - person book club and I really enjoy that - especially the nibbles!! It 's amazing how much we all differ as to what we enjoy and which characters and plots worked for us. We have had some big disagreements too.

I also read books with a friend and we discuss them together as and when we finish them - very relaxed.

Despite all these I love Goodreads as I have so many people to follow who have interesting ways of looking at stuff. I have discovered loads of new authors even though I was an avid reader before!! I also like 'mixing' with other people who dont find it odd how much I read, as in my in -person group I am definitely the one who reads the most. I also love meeting people on an even playing field where I know very little about their appearance , or age or background, only their love of books and willingness to share with me. I often wonder what it would be like to meet the people in my groups!!
I dont do many other social networks as I find them a time - stealer but this is tailor made for me!!

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 54 comments I agree with Penny on the GR aspect, although I cannot compare to book groups as I've never been in one. I would probably go if I were invited but not motivated enough to join some of the ones open to me, at the library and so forth.

@Penny -- I have been blessed to meet a few of my online book friends, some because we discovered we lived near each other, others because I've visited their city for other reasons and they expressed an interest to meet, and still others because we all went to the Bouchercon mystery books conference a few years ago. I can verify that folks are very different from how they present online (mostly because you just don't get the full picture and so make up stuff, not because they present inauthentically). And the folks I've met are likely people whose circles I wouldn't naturally be drawn into for any other reason, but they are (mostly) all people I'm glad to have met and of whom I'm very fond.

message 4: by Sharla (new)

Sharla My in-person book group is through the library. I have enjoyed making some new friends this way. We seldom all agree about the books we read but that makes it more interesting. We also find new ways of looking at things or see something we missed that someone else has noticed. I enjoy my in-person group a lot but am also enjoying this one, which is my first GR book group. The thing I like best about this one is that it seems more focused on exactly the kind of books I enjoy. I don't always enjoy the selections in my other group!

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie I have belonged to an in-person book club in the past but not at present. I like meeting and getting to know people in person, and there was a lot more social aspect to the in-person club. However, my taste in books was too different than the majority of the people & I didn't care for the books for the last 6 months before I dropped out.

I did like being exposed to books I wouldn't ordinarily read & am part of another GR group for that purpose. I like this group because, like Sharla said, I can be pretty sure that I will enjoy the majority of the recommendations!

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan Johnson I belong to an in person book group through the library. That makes it nice as we actually talk about the books. We meet every six months to select books and read one fiction and one nonfiction every month. You can read either one or both which most of us do. We also try to read one classic every six months. This time coming up will be "A Tale of Two Cities." We have also read the "Scarlett A" and lots of Steinbeck (we are in Calif. after all). I like it as I read books I never would have read on my own.

message 7: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 130 comments There is a small Mystery bookstore in Olympia (WA) that hosts a mystery book club. I have talked to the owner about joining and may give it a shot now that I am retired. Our local library has such money problems they could not afford to host clubs. Good idea though and if they ever get a bigger budget I will suggest.

Most of my friends don't read as extensively as I do. I have one friend who reads non-fiction about the state of the world today and watches CNN all the time. We do have some interesting discussions, but she does not read fiction at all anymore.

That is the main reason I joined GR. Just want to "talk" with others that share my love of reading.

Susan, your group sounds like it is a good one and worthwhile. It encourages me to at least check out the one in my town.

message 8: by Penny (new)

Penny It 's interesting to hear some people say they didnt like the selections in their clubs - I know some people who hate any kind of crime and see it as a waste of time!! I read all kinds of books but crime is probably the biggest one group.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan Johnson Kathy wrote: "There is a small Mystery bookstore in Olympia (WA) that hosts a mystery book club. I have talked to the owner about joining and may give it a shot now that I am retired. Our local library has suc..."
Kathy,
It doesn't cost the library anything. We just meet there in the meeting room. We charge $6 for six months. With that we buy used copies of the books and share. We always check how many copies the library system has and then have a book for the club at the library. You can check out our copy (ies) or from the library. It's a great system.

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 130 comments Penny, I am not sure what I would do in an in-person book club if I did not like the selection. Guess just go ahead and read it and discuss. On these forums the simplest deal is to just not join in discussions about books that are selected that don't interest me. Guess that way is easier.

I like a lot of variety as well, but I really prefer old mysteries.

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 130 comments Susan - It may be more just a lack of initiative. There are quite a few bookstores in Olympia, many of them very small. And the only active book club seems to be the one at the small mystery store that I go to.

I looked on the Internet, but there is no club out of the library. It would be great because as you say there would be the access to all types of books.

I know that lots of people get together with friends and acquaintances and form clubs, but really the main reason I joined this forum is that very few of my friends read as much as I do, nor do they enjoy discussing books.

It might be an idea to discuss with our local library whether they would put up a flyer or put something on the net at their site seeing what the interest would be. I know that it is not a cost to the library, but in the last few years they have been not so open to these types of ideas. Probably a split between just being depressed about the economy and upper management that are not responsive to new ideas.

They have rooms for this type of thing, but they have a rule that only public groups can meet there, no private or government. So more rules!!!

But one bright side is that they started staying open a couple nights a week for special author workshops. Other nights they close and turn all the lights out. But perhaps they would allow a club to meet on those nights.

Worth a try.

message 12: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 40 comments I belong to two book clubs. In one we read memoirs, biography and autobiography. This club is run through a very progressive book store in a small town near where I live. That store also has a childrens' club, a mystery club, a cookbook club and a fantasy club. The owner also gets in a steady stream of authors for discussions and signings. There are also two writers' groups who meet there weekly. I've met some great people there and enjoy it very much. We are averaging about 50/50 when it comes to finding great books as opposed to stinkers. We all take part in choosing the books we read so we have no one but ourselves to blame if the book is loser.

The other club I belong to is made up 3 grandmas besides me, some of our daughters and some of their friends. We read anything. The age difference runs from 20s thru 60s and makes for some lively discussions. Some of us have known one another our whole lives. We laugh a lot, bring snacks if the mood moves us, and generally hate to see the evening end. We've read some great books and also have everyone involved in choosing what we read. We get a suggestion list from the local library and also "book club kits" from the library when they have something we want to read. One of our members does not like to drive at night so we always meet at her home and let her spoil us as she is a great hostess.

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan Johnson One of the things we require is that a member has actually read the book. Every time we get an unread recommendation, it turns out to be a loser. As far as not liking a book selection, one of the joys has been to read books out of my usual selections. I have discovered wonderful books I never would read on my own. I was dreading this dystopian pick but found I enjoyed it. I don't seek the genre out but it was a nice change of pace. Another rule we have is if you don't like the book don't read it. Life is too short and there are just too many books.

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan Johnson I mean the member must have read the book to recommend it. Sorry.

message 15: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 130 comments Cheryl S. - These clubs you are in sound so good they could be in stories I have read. It is great to get together with people and enjoy each others' company. If the topic is books, or whatever as long as the group enjoys.

Before I became so focused on my job I belonged to a group that focused on knitting and crocheting. The ages varied as yours do, but we all had that one love in common.

There are several things I want to do now that I am retired. I would like to find another group that likes to knit and crochet and maybe take some classes. I joined this club (and another) on-line just to have a chance to talk about books. And I am going to look around for a book club.

My city is not huge, but it does not seem to have the options that are available and certainly not through our local libraries. But I am not going to sell it short until I have done all my research. Perhaps there are groups I am not aware of.

And if I get real ambitious and can't find anything, maybe I will attempt to start one. Might be interesting and challenging. (Where I live, may I just emphasize the word "challenging"!!!!)

message 16: by Sandi (new)

Sandi | 73 comments Kathy wrote: "There is a small Mystery bookstore in Olympia (WA) that hosts a mystery book club. I have talked to the owner about joining and may give it a shot now that I am retired. Our local library has suc..."

Tell your friend to watch more than CNN if she wants the truth about the state of the world. CNN is skewed; try BBC or FOX.

message 17: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (belly-dancingbookworm) I joined a book club when we moved to Nottingham, but I only attended one session. Unfortunately I just couldn't get on with the way they approached group discussion - they spent a lot of time talking about how they'd change the plot if they were the author, which is fine, but I found that very dull. So I joined some groups on here and am looking forward to getting involved in the discussions.

Only issue I have is I don't "know" many people on Goodreads.

message 18: by Sandi (new)

Sandi | 73 comments I have belonged to a few book clubs, but not one at the moment. Is it against the rules to share general geographic areas to see if there are Goodreads people nearby? I think I would enjoy discussing books in person. Meet at a coffee shop and see how it goes. I don't know the official rules on this. I'd be willing to try.

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan Johnson Sandi wrote: "I have belonged to a few book clubs, but not one at the moment. Is it against the rules to share general geographic areas to see if there are Goodreads people nearby? I think I would enjoy discus..."
I don't see why it would be against the rules. Our profiles have our towns. I'm in N.CA. Where are you?

message 20: by Joan (new)

Joan | 293 comments I would like to join an in-person book club -- preferably one focused on crime fiction, but a more broadly focused one would be ok, too, if the discussions were good. I belonged to a club that I liked many years ago, but the organizers moved away, and the club fell apart.

I live in New York City. Does any of you who belongs to a club that you like live in NY?

message 21: by Sandi (new)

Sandi | 73 comments I'm in the San Diego area and am open to create a book club.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (KnyttWytch) I belong to a book club (meets in the local pub *grin*) and I live just outside Cambridge, UK.

message 23: by Tom (new)

Tom | 48 comments I have belonged to a few local book clubs. There have been pros and cons for me with them. Too many times the selection of the month was not at all something I wanted to read. Instead of being enjoyable, it seemed like an unpleasant chore. It is fun to have a conversation face-to-face and build on ideas though. I currently belong to a local mystery book club. We meet at a local coffee house, and it makes a great venue.

I really like this particular book club, as the reading selections are all books I read before and would actually want to read again, or they are new to me and look within my interest area. I do find communicating in text to not be as interesting and that occasionally some contributors snipe, which I haven’t noticed in this group, in a way they would not in person. I think it would be interesting to experiment with some sort of web conferencing in which we could all see each other.

message 24: by Sandi (new)

Sandi | 73 comments Tom wrote: "I have belonged to a few local book clubs. There have been pros and cons for me with them. Too many times the selection of the month was not at all something I wanted to read. Instead of being enjo..."

So, where are you?

Sandi

message 25: by Joan (new)

Joan | 293 comments @Tom: Your local mystery book club sounds great. Where are you?

message 26: by Tom (new)

Tom | 48 comments Joan wrote: "@Tom: Your local mystery book club sounds great. Where are you?"

I am in Lincoln, Nebraska, USA. We have many book clubs here- book stores, private groups, libraries, and coffee houses. There is a dessert and mystery club at my local library.

message 27: by Tom (new)

Tom | 48 comments A couple of you asked, so I will post to all. I am in Lincoln, Nebraska, USA. We have many book clubs here- book stores, private groups, libraries, and coffee houses. There is a dessert and mystery club at my local library. A friend goes to several-- sci fi, graphic novel, play reading, mystery, and maybe more.

message 28: by Susan (new)

Susan Johnson Hilary wrote: "I belong to a book club (meets in the local pub *grin*) and I live just outside Cambridge, UK."
Wow! I bet that's some book club.

message 29: by Pippa (new)

Pippa (Pippa222) | 3 comments I'm in Gloucestershire, UK. I don't belong to a book club but would be interested in linking up with other readers to start one. I would love it if goodreads could spill out into everyday life. I want to meet other readers in person. :)

message 30: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 437 comments Tom, my best friend and I "met in the middle" (she's in Tennessee and I'm in Idaho, so Nebraska was logical- plus I'm a big fan of Bess Streeter Aldrich) a couple of years ago so that we could go book-sleuthing. We spent two days in Brownville, two days in Lincoln, and one in Omaha. And I got so many books I had to FedEx them home. That's my idea of glorious vacation!

message 31: by Helen (new)

Helen | 98 comments I joined an in-person club once but it turned out to be more the organizer choosing a book and then brooking no disagreement with her evaluation ;>) I am really enjoying Goodreads, lots of nice people & scads of book suggestions - my "to read" list expands very quickly. My home is Montreal, I am sure there must be clubs about, I might look into it.

@Karlyne that sounds like my sort of vacation as well!

message 32: by Susan (new)

Susan Johnson @Karlyne, when I was in England I bought so many books that I couldn't fit in my suitcase. I found a p.o. and mailed them home. I understand your vacation.

message 33: by Tom (new)

Tom | 48 comments Karlyne wrote: "Tom, my best friend and I "met in the middle" (she's in Tennessee and I'm in Idaho, so Nebraska was logical- plus I'm a big fan of Bess Streeter Aldrich) a couple of years ago so that we could go b..."

Were you able to get to Blue Stem here in Lincoln or find some first edition Aldrich books? Blue Stem folks are featured in Bookman's Wake.

message 34: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 130 comments Tom - There are various authors that feature bookstores in their plots and I am usually envious as they sound so great!!! It has been extremely hard for the small bookstore owners here to survive and the only places that have books and coffee are Barnes and Noble (and used to be Borders before they closed down). That is a real tragedy to me!!!

Luckily there are a few stores that have survived, but they are just barely hanging on. The types of clubs you describe and stores just are not available here.

The closest that something like this might be available would be sixty miles north of me in Seattle, or 100 miles south of me in Portland. While those are great trips to take for the day, can't imagine going that far once a week to a club.

Would be great to have these choices where I live. I also like to travel though and one of my favorite things is to visit bookstores whereever I go.

message 35: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 130 comments Susan, I could never go to England. I would bankrupt myself trying to buy every old English mystery that ever existed. I have enough trouble when I travel trying to visit the local bookstores without going home a complete pauper.

But some of these places around the country are wonderful and would not miss seeing them. Also, although I try to be sensible, I do manage to help support the local economies by dropping a few (ha) dollars.

message 36: by Helen (new)

Helen | 98 comments I have had to set myself a book budget ;>) unless I want to cut down on eating ...

message 37: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 40 comments Kathy wrote: "Cheryl S. - These clubs you are in sound so good they could be in stories I have read. It is great to get together with people and enjoy each others' company. If the topic is books, or whatever a..."

I think I'm really lucky as the book store near me is in a very small town. The owner doesn't let that stop her from going after interesting authors etc.

Even if you can only find 3 or 4 people interested in starting a book club--go for it. One of my friends belongs to one that's only 4 people and they love it.

message 38: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 10 comments I've never done book clubs before, just recently discovered goodreads, but at some pint may look for local in person group. Sounds fun.

message 39: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 130 comments Cheryl S. - I am going to try the book club in my town, and then perhaps I will look into starting a book club and meeting at the library. I have read about bookclubs that start small (with about four people) and then go on to read a maximum. Don't think a book club would work with lots of members, unless they broke up into smaller groups and discussed different selections. Not thinking this would happen here anyway as there has not been a great deal of interest so far.

But I enjoy Goodreads as there are so many group choices and we can also look at adding friends that share our reading interests.

message 40: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 40 comments Kathy wrote: "Cheryl S. - I am going to try the book club in my town, and then perhaps I will look into starting a book club and meeting at the library. I have read about bookclubs that start small (with abou..."

My regular book club has about a dozen members and usually about 8 of us make it to the meeting. We all feel the best size is if we can all fit around a dining room table. My memoir club is only about 4 or 5 people and we meet around the coffee table in big comfy chairs at the book store. Either way it's a cozy atmosphere and seems to bring out great discussion and lots of laughs.

message 41: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 437 comments Tom wrote: "Karlyne wrote: "Tom, my best friend and I "met in the middle" (she's in Tennessee and I'm in Idaho, so Nebraska was logical- plus I'm a big fan of Bess Streeter Aldrich) a couple of years ago so th..."

I think I made it to Blue Stem, Tom, but I'll have to check my bookmark collection to make sure. (hahaha) But we did go to Streeter's house, which is a sort of living museum now, and had a lovely personalized tour even though it was not a regular tour day. We came away from our trip with fond memories of Nebraskans!

message 42: by Michele (new)

Michele Brenton (banana_the_poet) | 1 comments I'm in the UK and I'm in a book club at my local library. The librarian picks the books for us to read and we get a new book each month. The library provides the books for us as well. So I think it is brilliant! I don't always like the selection - but we can talk about why we don't like the book as much as we can talk about why we did. It is lovely to have a natter and often the book sparks general conversation and we have a great time sharing views about all sorts of things.
I missed the last meeting due to illness and I am looking forward to the next one even more now.

message 43: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 437 comments Michele, I wonder how your book club is funded? Do you you know if the librarian "borrows" all the books for you from other libraries? It does sound lovely!

message 44: by Sandi (new)

Sandi | 73 comments I think it would be really helpful if everyone interested in a local club mentioned where they live. I'm really looking forward to beginning one in the north San Diego area.

Sandi Hemming

message 45: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 437 comments Rural southwest Idaho, close to the Oregon border.

message 46: by Bill Koller (new)

Bill Koller Koller (playamaya) | 10 comments Tulum, Mexico on the Caribbean Beaches. 70 miles South of Cancun, no library, Kindle. No one reads here but my guests at http://casaplayamaya.com .

message 47: by Joan (new)

Joan | 293 comments I posted this once before but will give it another go: I live in New York City (in the Chelsea section of Manhattan) and would love to join a F2F book club. Are there any NY'ers in this group?

message 48: by Leslie (new)

Leslie 25 miles west of Boston Mass...

message 49: by Bill Koller (new)

Bill Koller Koller (playamaya) | 10 comments Bronx native ..Do you tweet? Tried Goggling Book Clubs Chelsea NYC?

message 50: by Marsali (new)

Marsali Taylor (MarsaliTaylor) | 21 comments I'm in a book club here in Shetland, and I love our meetings. We read a variety and the theory is that we choose a genre, say, biography, or factual, or classic, then one member goes off and chooses a book in that genre. Usually there are a lot of e-mails flying around with suggestions. It tends to be a book the person hasn't read, but wants to, and everyone gets a shot of choosing doing it that way. So far the only one we all hated was 'Diary of a Call Girl', and we've read loads of interesting books I'd never have seen otherwise.

We meet in each other's houses, and everyone brings a nibble or a bottle. It's very sociable, and after we've discussed the official book we swap round other books we've read in the month - yes, I trust these people enough to lend them books! In December, we have a 'movie night' and then people who are frazzled preparing for Christmas don't need to read the book, they can just enjoy the film.

« previous 1