Classics Without All the Class discussion

Films, Television and Gaming > Are all the best Tv shows based on books nowadays?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeane, Book-tator (new)

Jeane (pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments Seems like everytime I turn around another television show is popping up based on a great book series! Well of course! Books are awesome, and one of the reason I think that Game of Thrones, True Blood, and The Walking Dead have been so successful is because we get a long time to experience characterization in television shows. I think that's also why the novel to movie adaptations always suck (well, I'm sure there is a case by case reason why they suck, but that is case by case). Io9 just put an article out about some upcoming television series based on books! Check it out! Comment! http://io9.com/5945001/are-the-best-t...

message 2: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) That's because books rock. I actually am so hesitant to see a movie or show that is based off a book because I get my own image in my head and I hate that it's screwed with. I've gotten better that I can hold the show to its own standard (I'm not sure that's the word I wanted, but we'll see if it plays out). There was the case that I didn't like Castle, but I liked the books that were based off of Castle, or written by Castle or however that mind fuck goes.

message 3: by Whitney (new)

Whitney Rizzoli and Isles is like that for me. The show is enjoyable but the books are awesome and creepy and....well...better lol.

message 4: by Jeane, Book-tator (new)

Jeane (pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments So what Book series do you all think they should make into a television show?

I think that the Stephanie Plum series would make an awesome television series!

And of course Wheel of Time. I think that CBS or NBC should adapt this series into a pg-13 Game of Thrones-type series. They would make bank off of it if they did it right (as in, if they hired me as a consultant, hee hee ;)

message 5: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) JD Robb's In Death series. Or the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne.

message 6: by Marie Sol (new)

Marie Sol (ScarletRidingHood) | 5 comments Well, I started reading Kathy Reichs and Sara Shepard's books because of Bones and Pretty Little Liars(both my favourite) TV series, and they are way to different from books, but both are excellent!

message 7: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Of course Sherlock is a great take on Sir Arthur Doyle's famous detective. I'm hooked.

message 8: by Aliyah (new)

Aliyah | 14 comments too many TV series based on paranormal novels and far too many vampires and werewolves who look like under wear models. Not to mention crappy love triangles. I'm too old to watch this shit. (Pardon my french) :-/

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Has anyone tried the BBC series Jekyll? It's written by Steven Moffat (Sherlock, Doctor Who).
I didn't care for it , but I know people who love it. I'm curious to know what Stevenson fans think of it.

message 10: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (coffeepensandpaper) Donna wrote: "Has anyone tried the BBC series Jekyll? It's written by Steven Moffat (Sherlock, Doctor Who).
I didn't care for it , but I know people who love it. I'm curious to know what Stevenson fans think of..."

Haven't heard of it, but I love SHERLOCK so I guess I'll give it a try!

message 11: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh (ashleigh_jordan) | 2 comments There's Paradise based on Zola's The Ladies' Paradise, and Dexter, of course :)

message 12: by Connor (new)

Connor Dempsey | 12 comments Wheel of Time NEEDS to be a TV show. I reckon if they approached it like Game of Thrones, it could be EPIC.

message 13: by Aliyah (new)

Aliyah | 14 comments This is a bit off-topic, but SHIELD may come out this year, which is based on The Avengers

message 14: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 208 comments I didn't realize Castle was based on a book series? I will have to look into reading this... (I haven't seen the show yet either but I keep hearing great things about it.)

message 15: by Karena (last edited Apr 20, 2013 09:02AM) (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Alana wrote: "I didn't realize Castle was based on a book series? I will have to look into reading this... (I haven't seen the show yet either but I keep hearing great things about it.)"

It's actually the other way around. The books are based on the TV show, kind of. They are written by the character "Castle" on the show. It's a promotional for the show. So no one really knows who the real author is of the series. Probably the show writers.

message 16: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Aliyah wrote: "This is a bit off-topic, but SHIELD may come out this year, which is based on The Avengers"

My son is super excited. Agent Coulson is his favorite honorary "Avenger." LOL

message 17: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) I just posted this in the TV Shows We Watch folder, but Orange is the New Black is a great show. I haven't read the book yet, but I plan to after I binge watch the rest of the season this weekend. I'll let you know!

message 18: by Ana Lucía (new)

Ana Lucía | 51 comments Some tv series adapted from books that I love are Game of Thrones and Sherlock. They are both fantastic and completely awesome. I think that it would be a great idea to create a tv series or a movie of the novel The Passage, from Justin Cronin. That book was incredible, while I read it I couldn't stop myself from thinking that it could be an amazing movie. I hope they do one, or at least a tv series. The Passage and its continuation, The Twelve, are fantastic books with epic stories, that could be perfect for television. Also for movies, but they would have to make more than one.

message 19: by Toni (new)

Toni Ogilby | 2 comments I may get crucified for saying this but I decided to start reading True Blood after watching it for a few seasons. I gave up during the second novel, it's awful! And I usually always prefer books over the series/movie.

Love Game of Thrones and Sherlock though.

message 20: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Toni wrote: "I may get crucified for saying this but I decided to start reading True Blood after watching it for a few seasons. I gave up during the second novel, it's awful! And I usually always prefer books o..."

No, I understand. I tried the books the show Bones is based off by Kathy Reichs and couldn't get passed the first one. I liked the show's version of Brennan better!

message 21: by Toni (new)

Toni Ogilby | 2 comments Karena wrote: "Toni wrote: "I may get crucified for saying this but I decided to start reading True Blood after watching it for a few seasons. I gave up during the second novel, it's awful! And I usually always p..."

I do enjoy the show as well but I'm actually a Forensic Anthropology student so I like the books purely based on their more accurate representation of the field (well, more accurate than most Forensic series). But the show is definitely more entertaining, I can see why most people would prefer it, my mum is a huge fan.

message 22: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) I bet I would have been way into them if I'd read them first! I just had the TV Bones in my head way too deeply at the time. I don't watch anymore so maybe if I tried them now it would be different. :)

message 23: by Heather (new)

Heather (clockwork_wings) | 2 comments actually rarely follow TV shows made into books. I may check them out, if I'm familiar with the work, or they may inspire me to check out the source material if I like the trailers. I don't know what it is, but they don't stick with me.

I hear it's different from the source material, but "The Chronicle" should have completely lasted more than one season.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Passage (other topics)
The Twelve (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kathy Reichs (other topics)