Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

You Slay Me (Aisling Grey #1)
This topic is about You Slay Me
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived "Buddy Reads" > You Slay Me by Katie McAlister date: 1st Oct

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lina (last edited Sep 20, 2012 02:45PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lina | 5563 comments

Welcome to our Buddy Read. Stop by and say "Hi" and while you're here let us know what your thoughts are on the book... OR... stay and answer discussion questions, volunteer to post some, or just chose to comment on the ones you want.

This will be an open discussion of You Slay Me by Katie MacAlister
PLEASE EXPECT SPOILERS!

Goodreads Synopsis
Aisling Grey is a courier enjoying a free, work-related trip to Paris when she learns she's a Guardian. That's a keeper of the Gates of Hell, for those who don't know. She finds this out from Drake Vireo, who's scrumptiously sexy-at least in his human form. Now Drake has stolen the package Aisling was sent to deliver, and she must track him down, get the package, and try to resist the passion boiling inside her.

message 2: by Lina (last edited Sep 20, 2012 02:45PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lina | 5563 comments Participants:

CaroB
Gisela
Susan
ShoSho (?)

message 3: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - added it

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Yay! I've heard this author is funny. I'm looking forward to it.

message 4: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Yes I'm in but you have to take my hand through it . It's from first POV and it's urban fantasy , good thing it's not YA(my 3 least favorite type of books )!!
It'll be fun reading it with you all

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments Love this book!!! I may drop in and chat. I have read her entire dragon book series so far (except the last one, which I am reading this month). I also am not crazy about first person narratives, but this one is soooo funny. Katie MacAllister's dragon world is one of the best out there. Just amazing.

message 6: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - added it

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments So when do we read this?

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments This was the first series that I had to run out and get the next one - be warned!!

message 8: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I've only read the first, but I listened to it on audio and the narrator is good. Loved Effrijim: AKA Jim.

Lina | 5563 comments Gisela, do you have this? Would you like me to send?

Would 1st October be too soon or not soon enough?

message 10: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - added it

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments October 1 is good for me.

message 11: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - added it

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments CaroB wrote: "Gisela, do you have this? Would you like me to send?

Would 1st October be too soon or not soon enough?"

I got it. That date is good.

message 12: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Good for me too .

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments CaroB - how do you send this book?

message 14: by Elishia (new)

Elishia | 2620 comments I'm undecided if i'm taking part at the moment I wasn't going to do any buddy reads next month.

message 15: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - added it

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Are buddy reads taking over your life? LOL I felt that way earlier this summer. I've decided not to take part of a couple of monthly challenges that I usually do in another group.

message 16: by Elishia (new)

Elishia | 2620 comments :) I got a bit excited and joined loads of challenges now I can't fit in some books I want to read.

message 17: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - added it

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I pulled together all the books I need to read for the challenges that end December 31 for me and I'm reading solely from them. Except for the group and buddy reads here. I have two challenges that end in October so I need to get on the ball :)

message 18: by Elishia (new)

Elishia | 2620 comments I'll have to check all mine, don't think I have any left now for this year.

message 19: by Midu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Midu Hadi | 1693 comments one of the cutest books ever :-)

Katelynn | 3 comments this was great I read everything by the author. So much fun!

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments KarenL - I think there are actually 3 books in the Light Dragon series, because I'm about to read the third. And I love Jim as well!

Love in the Time of Dragons (Light Dragons, #1) by Katie MacAlister The Unbearable Lightness of Dragons (Light Dragons, #2) by Katie MacAlister Sparks Fly (Light Dragons, #3) by Katie MacAlister

Great covers! My favorite is the Silver Dragons series.

message 22: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Ready for this ladies?

message 23: by Lina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lina | 5563 comments YES!!

message 24: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Sep 30, 2012 03:01AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I started reading the first paragraph , I feel for her , no one can pronounce her name or mine!!

message 25: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - added it

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments How do you pronounce yours?

message 26: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "How do you pronounce yours?"

Haha, my name is Shohreh, you have to pronounce the middle H and ignore the last H, you have to say the end like resume.
almost no english speaking person I've ever met can say my name correctly. Even my Mom doesn't call me by my full name, she calls me Shori and most people call me Shosho.

message 27: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Anyone started yet?

message 28: by Lina (last edited Oct 01, 2012 12:09AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lina | 5563 comments ShoSho wrote: "Gisela wrote: "How do you pronounce yours?"

Haha, my name is Shohreh, you have to pronounce the middle H and ignore the last H, you have to say the end like resume.
almost no english speaking pe..."

So phonetically, sounds like shore-hu-ray?

message 29: by Lina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lina | 5563 comments ShoSho wrote: "Anyone started yet?"

Just barely.

message 30: by Susanne (last edited Oct 01, 2012 12:31AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susanne (bookcrazy47) | 884 comments ShoSho wrote: "Anyone started yet?"

I just picked this up and saw that you were doing a Buddy Read on it. Can I join? Really like it so far!

message 31: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments CaroB wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "Gisela wrote: "How do you pronounce yours?"

almost no engl..."

Sho-h-ray or Shoh-ray !these are the closest thing I can think of! the h comes from your throat! It's the hardest word to pronounce .I've heard so many different pronunciations of my name that I gave up correcting people .lol

message 32: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Susanne wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "Anyone started yet?"

I just picked this up and saw that you were doing a Buddy Read on it. Can I join? Really like it so far!"

YES , please join us :)

Susanne (bookcrazy47) | 884 comments Thanks Shosho!

message 34: by Lina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lina | 5563 comments I'll do my reading tonight and then post some questions tomorrow (should be Monday night U.S. Time) for the first 5 chapters. Is that ok? Unless someone else wants to post questions first?

message 35: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Oct 01, 2012 03:40AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments CaroB wrote: "I'll do my reading tonight and then post some questions tomorrow (should be Monday night U.S. Time) for the first 5 chapters. Is that ok? Unless someone else wants to post questions first?"

No that's great, I can't think of one question other than "huh?" for the first 5 chapters. I just started chapter 7 but I won't read much more tonight.

message 36: by Lina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lina | 5563 comments Questions for Chapters 1-5

There's so much happening in the first 5 chapters!

1. Were we to assume that the guy at the airport was a demon? Do you think Rene, the taxi driver, could be linked to the underworld, or is he just exactly what he seems?

2. Talk about a way to end the first chapter! What would you have done if you were faced with a corpse? Would you have tried to touch it first, looked around to make sure you were safe or rung the cops?

3. Is it just me, or does the whole premise of her knowing so much about demon lore, but not actually beleiving it herself make her very sane and normal, or make it all a little unbeleivable... I mean, who reads medieval demon texts for fun?

4. What on Earth is a Guardian?

5. Do you think her uncle knows? Is it sane that she finds herself in a strange country where she doesn't even know the language properly, and yet she wont call the one person who can help her?

6. Are you enjoying the humour? What do you think of the writing style?

7. Drake... umm.. not even sure where to start there. He thinks fear is sexy, his kisses communicate fire, and he seduces women in their sleep. I can't make up my mind if he's the sexiest bad hero ever or just ultra alpha man/dragon. I usually think anything with scales is icky, but I like the sound of all that fire... what do you think?

8. A dog that talks. Is this all just too funny, or is it getting a little ridiculous?

message 37: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Oct 01, 2012 04:12PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Answers for chapters 1-5

1- He was something ,a demon or one of the bad supernaturals !He wasn't a normal human being! I am suspicious of Rene , I don't think if he is just a taxi driver!

2- I would have ran out without touching anything and then call the cops! She is showing a bit of TSTL signs hopefully it won't last!

3-Yes it's weird , who would read all these stuff for fun and remember them! I'm hoping that there is someone in her life that knows what she is and has encouraged her to learn these thing , otherwise it's just unbelievable !

4-Exactly !what is it ? what do they have to guard? portal to hell or something?

5-As I said she is showing signs of TSTL! hopefully her being here is not just a coincident and she was sent here on purpose by either her uncle or someone else! She should have called her uncle first thing!

6-Sometimes , the only time I laughed was the first time we met Jim!!I'm not used to writing style yet , ask me again at the end of the book.

7-I'm not sure about him either , stealing her dragon was the worst thing he could do , if I'm going to like him he really has to try :D!! I liked the fire stuff too and if that dream was not really a dream and she is his mate that's another negative point in his records! and did you notice the drink "dragon blood" he said no mortal can stand it , yet she drank it and was ok does it mean she immortal now?
and he kissed her not knowing she can withstand it ,that's another negative for him!

8-It was funny but this Jim is really getting on nerves!

message 38: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - added it

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Crap! I forgot about this one. I'll catch up, I'm reading my Bingo book right now.

message 39: by Lina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lina | 5563 comments No worries Susan!

message 40: by Lina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lina | 5563 comments Shoshone, I hadn't thought of the whole immortal/ human thing of drinking that dragons drink. Hmmm... At the moment I have more questions than answers...

message 41: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Where are you ladies , you were suppose to hold my hand while I'm reading this?!I'm reading chapter 9 and I'm not liking what's going on !Aisling and Jim are getting on my nerves ! Please tell me it'll get better.

message 42: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Sorry about the whining !

message 43: by Lina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lina | 5563 comments I'm on my phone, so I'll apologize now for the typos. I'm about 52% done, and while its amusing, must say I'm not really feeling the love for the characters

message 44: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments :D I'm around there too , I stopped at chapter 11.
If you take a look at my status updates you'll see how I feel towards the characters :D

Susanne (bookcrazy47) | 884 comments You guys are so fast! I am about to start chapter 9 but now life is in the way. Although I think Drake is hot, I'm ready to strangle Aisling!

Susanne (bookcrazy47) | 884 comments Answers Chapter 1-5

1. I assumed airport guy was a demon, but will he return? I have no idea what to make of Rene but right now I'm leaning toward human. I might be wrong!

2. I would have fainted! LOL! I imagine I would check to see if there was any hope to save them and then call the cops ASAP.

3. I don't know, it's sure convenient. And she is very slow to catch up!

4. I want to know! Can't she pause for one minute and ask someone??

5. I think there is more to this uncle than we know - maybe he's a demon?

6. I really liked the interactions at the club and giggled a bit, but so far it will not make it to my giggle-shelf. It's a bit over the top.

7. He is hot! And he seems kind of sweet but Aisling doesn't give the guy the slightest chance. I want top believe he knew that Aisling would survive - otherwise he's a lot less likable. But for a hero, he does it for me! LOL!

8. Too much! I am so not a fan of the dog!

Susanne (bookcrazy47) | 884 comments ShoSho wrote: "yet she drank it and was ok does it mean she immortal now?..."

I didn't think about it, but you might be right. Otherwise, will her mate be mortal now because he dies when she dies? We need more information, like NOW!

I totally agree with TSTL-tendencies of our heroine! I hope she pace herself, although I am not sure we will be so lucky!

message 48: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Susanne wrote: "You guys are so fast! I am about to start chapter 9 but now life is in the way. Although I think Drake is hot, I'm ready to strangle Aisling!"
Wait until you get to chapter 10, you'll want to do more to her than just strangle her!

message 49: by Lina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lina | 5563 comments Shosho, an added bonus: have you noticed how many items there are for the Rapid Readers challenge this week?

message 50: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lol that's exactly what i said in the comments on my status update, I think there are 7 items in there.

I'm just reading the blue dragon part, are u there yet?

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.