Tierra Encantada Charter School discussion

The Great Gatsby
This topic is about The Great Gatsby
Engl. IV > Irony

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tierra Encantada | 76 comments Mod
What is deeply ironic in Tom's statement, ". . . I may be old-fashioned in my ideas, but women run around too much these days to suit me"?

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 18 comments It is ironic because he is having an affair with mrs. Wilson. Which he makes himself look foolish in the readers eyes.

message 3: by Lyon (new)

Lyon Rivera | 16 comments I don't think its irony that is behind this sentence. i think its hypocritical of Tom because he is also "running around too much" with Mrs. Wilson. "So Tom Buchanan and his and i went up together to New York- or no quite together, for Mrs. Wilson sat discretely in another car."

message 4: by Mayra (new)

Mayra | 21 comments Ton's Sentences is very ironic because he is having an affair with ms wilson.
y como va el ditcho "burro ablando de orejas"

Josh Smith | 18 comments the reason this is ironic is because tom says "women run around too much" however he is having an affair with mrs. Wilson

message 6: by Raquel (new) - added it

Raquel Garcia | 5 comments Toms statement is ironic because he is making a statement about women having affairs or sleeping around when he is having an affair with Mrs.Wilson. It makes him look like a hypocrite.

message 7: by Chris (last edited Sep 27, 2012 03:43PM) (new)

Chris Trujillo | 3 comments This is ironic because Tom complains about women sleeping around, while he's having an affair with Mrs. Wilson. This hypocritical statement makes Tom look stupid. I think that maybe Tom doesn't look at the affair between him and Myrtle as wrong.

message 8: by Jesus (new)

Jesus | 21 comments What I find ironic about Tom's statement is that he is having an affair with another women. He took Nick to meet Mrs. Wilson, so in a way he seems foolish and foward. Foolish because of what he said and foward because he takes Nick to meet her, while mr. Gatsby makes a plan to have Nick invite Daisy. i also see irony that he says that statement as hes about to mount a horse. ""come on," said mr. Sloane to Tom." pg 103