Tudor History Lovers discussion

Tudor Book Recomendations > Best book on Mary Tudor?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (dollpartsx3) | 5 comments Sorry if maybe there was already a topic on this, i may have missed it. Just wondering what the best and most interesting book on Mary Tudor is? Fiction or Non fiction. Thanks!

message 2: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 88 comments Assuming you mean Henry VIII's daughter rather than his sister, I haven't found many books about her, but I liked Bloody Mary by Carolly Erickson.

Bloody Mary The Life of Mary Tudor by Carolly Erickson

message 3: by Susan (last edited Sep 22, 2012 05:04PM) (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) For nonfiction, try Linda Porter's biography. The First Queen of England: The Myth of "Bloody Mary"There's also one by Anna Whitelock, Mary Tudor: England's First Queen

My favorite fictional work on Mary is Hilda Lewis's trilogy.

message 4: by NayNay (new)

NayNay Here are some I know of....
I am Mary Tudor (Mary Tudor, #1) by Hilda Lewis In the Shadow of the Crown (Queens of England, #6) by Jean Plaidy Daughter of Henry VIII. by Rosemary Churchill Her Mother's Daughter A Novel of Queen Mary Tudor by Julianne Lee Mary Tudor England's First Queen by Anna Whitelock

message 5: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 88 comments Denise wrote: "Assuming you mean Henry VIII's daughter rather than his sister, I haven't found many books about her, but I liked Bloody Mary by Carolly Erickson.

[bookcover:Bloody Mary: The Life of Mary Tudor|23..."

I probably should have specified that this is nonfiction.

message 6: by Cyl (new)

Cyl (alohacyl) | 10 comments In the Shadow of the Crown (Queens of England, #6) by Jean Plaidy This book really opened my eyes to Mary Tudor and how broken she was as an individual. Trying to find true love was taken from her in the politics of the time. She would be promised to one man after another as it suited Henry & his advisors - Mary never had a chance.

message 7: by Kyra (new)

Kyra Kramer | 48 comments I liked Linda Porter's work (mentioned above by Susan) and thought it was well researched. Porter was more sympathetic toward Mary than I am (my pity is diluted by her murder of Jane Grey) but it was nonetheless a very good book.

message 8: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (taepomerleau) | 1 comments I'm going to go find these books ...great suggestions!

message 9: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lynnellingwood) Reading Mary Boleyn by Alison Weir. On page 22. Lots of detail on the history of the Boleyn family, Carrey family and other families associated with Mary Boleyn and her forefathers and ancestors. So important when wealth and prestige are inherited. The family originally came from France probably around Norman times and made money through trade. Marrying into the Howard family brought old titles and royalty while the Boleyn family brought the money.

message 10: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lynnellingwood) Still reading Mary Tudor by Alison Weir. Pretty good but gets confusing with all the comparisons with the letters and documents available.

message 11: by Carolyne (new)

Carolyne (ceekay1) | 2 comments Mary Tudor by David loades was excellent. I did get it at a used book store but that was before the Tudors TV show...so maybe it can be found more easily in the US now. And per another comment, it is about Queen Mary not Henry VIII's sister of the same name.

message 12: by Anna (new)

Anna Just finished Mary Boleyn by Allison Weir - I enjoy her writing immensely.

message 13: by Pauline (new)

Pauline Montagna (pauline_montagna) I enjoyed The Queen's Foolby Phillipa Gregory. It tells the story of the relationship between Mary and Elizabeth. I feel it was written before Gregory was got at by her publishers!

message 14: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (charlotte_sometimes) | 78 comments You know, I can't keep all these books straight anymore. I no longer know what I've read and what I haven't. There are SO MANY!

message 15: by Phebe (new)

Phebe Kyra wrote: "... more sympathetic toward Mary than I am (my pity is diluted by her murder of Jane Grey) but it w..."

I don't have a problem with Mary Tudor's eventual execution of Jane Grey. It is apparent that she didn't want to do this and indeed, Jane felt secure for some time in comfortable Tower-complex accomodations that she would not be executed. But there were more political uprisings, led by Jane's father, and it became only too obvious that she had to do what all Tudors were forever doing: kill off any persons of competing royal bloodlines. The persons themselves were often quite inoffensive, but enemies of the throne were forever making plots around them in these times.

I am reading Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel, and that has a lot about Mary Tudor (the daughter) in it. And not very sympathetic: Cromwell doesn't like her and describes her as frankly dwarfish, and never healthy.

message 16: by Marie (new)

Marie (goodreadscomuser_mariedesantis) | 2 comments Mary 1 Tudor is one of my favorite queens. Thank you for this subject.

message 17: by Susan (last edited Oct 01, 2013 09:05AM) (new)

Susan (maurineruby) I am reading Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel, and that has a lot about Mary Tudor (the daughter) in it. And not very sympathetic: Cromwell doesn't like her and describes her as frankly dwarfish, and never healthy.

Hillary Mantel provides a fresh perspective on Cromwell, but I've never found him to be a sympathetic character in history. As for Mary Tudor...I just feel pity for her--pity and frustration. I'm glad you like her so much, Lucrezia. I've never run into many in that club. (I need a tutorial on how to UN-italicize this paragraph!!!)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments May have needed to put < / i > (without the blanks) where you wanted to stop italicizing?

message 19: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Gibson (goodreadscomteresaindallas) Is it true that Elizabeth I was quite a bit taller than Mary?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments It's not known how tall Mary was, but she is said to have been about as short as her mother. Maybe 5 feet?

The estimates of Elizabeth's height that I've seen are all taller than that (generally 5-3 to 5-5), but I don't know that I've seen a period source that attests to height.

message 21: by Duane (new)

Duane (tduaneparkeryahoocom) | 11 comments I have recently read Mary, Queen of France by Jean Plaidy. It 's fiction and is based on the life of Princess Mary Tudor, the younger sister of Henry VIII. I have read several books by Alison Weir and Phillipa Gregory on the Tudor's, but very little about this Mary.
She is married young, and against her wishes, to King Louis of France who dies shortly their marriage. It 's primarily the story of her and her lifelong love Charles Brandon and how they navigate through the turmoil of the reign of her brother Henry.
I haven't posted my review on Goodread's yet but I enjoyed it enough to read more of Jean Plaidy's work in the future.

message 22: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 41 comments Which of these non-fiction books would you say is favorable but not fawning about Mary I? Doing research and I need a better grip on her personality.

message 23: by Michell (new)

Michell Karnes (royalreader) | 229 comments A couple of books I have enjoyed on Mary I are
The Children of Henry VIII by Weir (non-fiction)
In the Shadow of the Crown by Plaidy (fiction)

message 24: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments I have never read Weir, but I have read Plaidy/Carr; what kind of research, Dawn?

message 25: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 41 comments Skye wrote: "I have never read Weir, but I have read Plaidy/Carr; what kind of research, Dawn?"

Working on an AU Tudor novel with my husband. We want to feel like the new choices she'll make are plausible as well as treat her a little more fairly than she often is (at least when compared to Elizabeth).

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments That's a very interesting route to take - good luck with it!

message 27: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments How lovely; where do you live?

message 28: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 19, 2015 10:04AM) (new)

Have you read The Tudor Throne by Brandy Purdy?

message 29: by Skye (new)

Skye | 484 comments It looks good.

message 30: by Naiad (last edited Jul 08, 2015 03:33AM) (new)

Naiad Lyne | 20 comments Tammy wrote: "Have you read The Tudor Throne by Brandy Purdy?"

How Mary is portrayed there?