Jane Austen discussion

Book: Sense & Sensibility > Favourite Moments

Comments (showing 1-39 of 39) (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Sophie | 2621 comments Mod
Favourite moments from either the book or the adaptations?
(my opinions will follow :) )

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Smith (SarahLouiseSmith) When Edward tells them that his brother married Lucy, and then declares his love for Elinor. Dan Stevens does a fabulous job of this in the recent adaptation! :)
I also love when Willoughby takes Marianne to his Aunt's house, even though it doesn't work out!

message 3: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Sarah Louise wrote: "When Edward tells them that his brother married Lucy, and then declares his love for Elinor. Dan Stevens does a fabulous job of this in the recent adaptation! :)
I also love when Willoughby takes M..."

Dan Stevens was a wonderful Edward i thought! Better than Hugh Grant, IMO.
That is so sweet. And I love Elinor's reaction! They are so sweet! and his proposal is great!

I actually like the part in the Aunt's house as well, even though it was naughty of W really. At least he didn't take it any further!

message 4: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I also love the opening scenes at Norland with Elinor and Edward, and the ending scenes when B is courting M!

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne (Cinderella16) | 115 comments Sarah Louise wrote: "When Edward tells them that his brother married Lucy, and then declares his love for Elinor. Dan Stevens does a fabulous job of this in the recent adaptation! :)

I love that part too! Elinor, who never could show her feelings, has to run out of the room crying. It was sooo sweet!

message 6: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Yes!! It's so sweet! As though her feelings she has kept inside have been released and over taken her! Love it! And in the 08 one, how Edward is like blow convention and rules, and follows her! And makes a lovely proposal!!

message 7: by Anne (new)

Anne (Cinderella16) | 115 comments I know! I love it.

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments I have loads of favorite moments, in both the 1995 movie and the book, but the one that immediately comes to mind is near the very end of the book is where it says that Marianne came to love her husband (key word husband, that's where I start getting tears :) ) just as fully or more so than she had loved Willoughby. It just made me feel so utterly happy for both of them, but especially for Colonel Brandon - he deserved that happiness, and much more.

message 9: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Couldn't agree more!!
Love Brandon and he deserves to be so happy! And I really think they will be really happy together and will be happier with Brandon than Willoughby!

message 10: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments Soph wrote: "Couldn't agree more!!
Love Brandon and he deserves to be so happy! And I really think they will be really happy together and will be happier with Brandon than Willoughby!"

Personally, I think that Marianne and Willoughby were always too alike to be truly happy - I mean sure, they loved each other, and sure, it would have been fun, but... Brandon and Marianne balance each other out, not to mention to me Brandon is a far better person than Willoughby could ever be.

Does anyone else hate that bit in the 1995 movie (and I think it's in the book as well) when Willoughby goes "Frailty, thy name is Brandon,"? And then goes on to slander Brandon and give all these stupid reasons for not liking him? I just hate that bit so much, because by that time I know the only reason that Brandon had to leave the picnic is because Willoughby had got his foster-daughter pregnant and then left her!

Sorry, I know this discussion is supposed to be about favorite moments, rant over :).

message 11: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Opposites attract!! :)

And oh I hate that bit!! He has no reason to insult Brandon like that! And after what he has done!! That bit is AWFUL!! I just hate that man!! And it is annoying to see how much Marianne is influenced by Willoughby, as she finds it hilarious!!

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments Soph wrote: "Opposites attract!! :)

And oh I hate that bit!! He has no reason to insult Brandon like that! And after what he has done!! That bit is AWFUL!! I just hate that man!! And it is annoying to see how ..."

You're right, it really was very annoying to see how she just laughs and smiles and agrees with everything he says. I mean, probably part of it was her own opinion - she never truly noticed Brandon, so she is probably one of those who Willoughby says thinks well of him but never really remembers to talk to. That's why I love that bit when she says "Thank you" to him in the 1995 movie, for bringing her mother - the look on Brandon's face is like - "She finally noticed me."

message 13: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Yes! When she asks to see him is so sweet as well (defo in 08 and novel, don't think 95)
His face says it all!! His patience has paid off! Some say Marianne went for him as a result of what happened to her with Willoughby, and like a fall back. I don't agree. Do you? She is too much of a romantic surely!!

message 14: by Rebecca (last edited Sep 26, 2012 04:20PM) (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments Soph wrote: "Yes! When she asks to see him is so sweet as well (defo in 08 and novel, don't think 95)
His face says it all!! His patience has paid off! Some say Marianne went for him as a result of what happen..."

:) I guess I love that part in the movie so much mostly because it's so sweet, but a little because in that movie it's Alan Rickman playing Brandon and I love watching him act, he's so subtle and wonderful! He was so great in Sense and Sensibility 1995. Anyway... :)
I totally don't agree about her going for Brandon because of what happened with Willoughby. I think that all it was was that 1. Willoughby had a far more extravagant personality, and 2. Brandon was originally seen as too old :( . Both of those things merely meant that Marianne noticed Willoughby first. It may have been that the fiasco with Willoughby made her more emotionally mature, and more able to realize how wonderful a person Colonel Brandon was. But no, I don't think that she saw Colonel Brandon as second choice or fall-back - what an awful thought!!! I think, just because of her quick-silver fast nature, it took her longer to notice the quiet and sensible Brandon. And, as it says in the novel, she came to love her husband just as much or more than she had loved Willoughby :).

message 15: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Good!! Glad you agree!! And put so eloquently! ;)

And I love Alan Rickman! He is Wonderful!!

Didn't you think that in both adaptations (95 08) Marianne's illness was played up a lot? And wasn't as serious in the novel?

message 16: by Rebecca (last edited Sep 27, 2012 12:51AM) (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments Soph wrote: "Good!! Glad you agree!! And put so eloquently! ;)

And I love Alan Rickman! He is Wonderful!!

Didn't you think that in both adaptations (95 08) Marianne's illness was played up a lot? And wasn't..."

I'm glad you like my eloquent and long-winded expressions of my opinion :D.

I haven't seen the 08 version - I don't need to, Alan Rickman, Kate Winslet, Hugh Grant and Emma Thompson are enough for me :) - but I don't actually agree so much on this point. I do think that Marianne's illness was played up, but only very slightly. It is clear to me in the novel that Elinor, Mrs Dashwood and Colonel Brandon all deeply feared for her life, especially Brandon in seeing her similarity to Eliza, and I think that anxiety carried over quite well into the film - it may have been a little overdone, but not excessively so by any means.

I love the part in the 1995 movie where Brandon says "What can I do?" and then "Give me an occupation, Miss Dashwood, or I shall run mad." And then when told what he can do he all but runs from the room- it's so sweet :).

<3 Alan Rickman and Colonel Brandon both. :)

message 17: by Anne (last edited Sep 27, 2012 11:36AM) (new)

Anne (Cinderella16) | 115 comments I liked how in the '08 version, at the beginning Marianne and Brandon get along so well. For instance when Mrs. Jennings and...Oh, what's his name... are talking about Brandon before she's even met him, and say how he never looked at another woman after Eliza, and Marianne says, "He never forgot her...I like that." (or something to that effect) And after they meet, they just talk about music and what-not because they both have the same interests. If they hadn't gossiped about her and Brandon, then they may have gotten together a whole lot sooner.

message 18: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

You need to see the 08! It's great! And it is longer so included more!

I guess you are right. Maybe I meant the fact that she wasn't swept off her feet him and wasn't out in the rain and then fell Ill - it was much less dramatic in the novel (which is a shame as I like Brandon going to the rescue!)

I love that bit as well!! Bless him!

message 19: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

And Anne I totally agree!!
They were so sweet and good friends, but not quite good enough so that when the idea of love was mentioned, it scared Marianne and then she went Anti-Brandon. So I completely agree!!

message 20: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments Soph wrote: "You need to see the 08! It's great! And it is longer so included more!

I guess you are right. Maybe I meant the fact that she wasn't swept off her feet him and wasn't out in the rain and then fel..."

Well, you are right about the fact that she wasn't swept off her feet in the novel - disappointing, I know :) - but I do love how they do it in the film. Especially as they make it seem so much sweeter the way Brandon does it - like, Willoughby comes rushing in to be the hero saving the damsel in distress and lifts her "as if she weighed no more than a dried leaf", whereas Brandon has a true and heartfelt concern, is terrified for her, and actually goes out to look for her, and poor man, it looked like it took a lot out of him. It just seems so much sweeter, in a way.

As to the 08 version - perhaps I ought to see it, but I tend to find one version I like of a movie and then stick with it, because I love the films I've seen and I wouldn't want another version to tarnish how I feel about them. Unfortunately that does tend to make me quite defensive at times of the films I have seen, even though I haven't seen the others, but oh well... I mean, I've only seen the 2005 Pride and Prejudice as well.

message 21: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Becca wrote: "Soph wrote: "You need to see the 08! It's great! And it is longer so included more!

I guess you are right. Maybe I meant the fact that she wasn't swept off her feet him and wasn't out in the rain..."

I loved how it was done in the film! so sweet! it was so much sweeter and I loved it! and a better act than Willoughby!

i do know what you mean!
but i have seen lots of versions of them... and i don't think they ruin the others. but i do not what you mean...

message 22: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments Soph wrote: "Becca wrote: "Soph wrote: "You need to see the 08! It's great! And it is longer so included more!

I guess you are right. Maybe I meant the fact that she wasn't swept off her feet him and wasn't o..."

Haha, I guess it's just a personal thing - I tend to choose the version I think I will like most, and then I typically fall in love with it and defend it and don't really watch a different version. I know it's silly, but it's me :).

message 23: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

haha no its not silly! haha i understand why!!

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Smith (SarahLouiseSmith) Reading all these comments makes me want to watch the 08 version again! Going to try and watch this afternoon!

message 25: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments Soph wrote: "haha no its not silly! haha i understand why!!"

:) It's good to know that someone understands why, I'd hate for everyone to think I was silly being like that! :)

message 26: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Oh and did you???

And it's fine!! :D

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Smith (SarahLouiseSmith) No, I didn't... might watch over the weekend if I have time :)

message 28: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I want to as well now!

message 29: by Noirfifre (new)

Noirfifre | 764 comments When Lucy did the double turn and marry Robert

When Mr. Palmer tells his wife something her mother being illbred, LOL :P Classic

message 30: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Yes! that really summed up her character! i still was shocked when she married the other brother!

Mr Palmer is hilarious!!

message 31: by Noirfifre (new)

Noirfifre | 764 comments Hehe

message 32: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments Mr Palmer makes me laugh... a lot. Especially that moment in the 1995 version when his wife crinkles his newspaper, and he just looks at it long-sufferingly for a second and then straightens it back out! :D :D :D

message 33: by Noirfifre (new)

Noirfifre | 764 comments ohhh, I will have to watch all different adaptations for Sense and Sensibility. I do not remember the details, sorry.

message 34: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

YES!! That is hilarious!!

message 35: by Marcy (new)

Marcy (Marshein) I love it when Elinor asks Marianne if she compares her behavior to Willoughby's, and Marianne says, "No, I compare it to what it ought to have been; I compare it to yours." That knocks me out every time.

message 36: by Anne (new)

Anne | 70 comments Yes!!! I agree!! I was waiting for her to say it, after she discovers that Elinor knew for a long time that Edward was engaged.

message 37: by Maria (last edited Sep 29, 2013 02:23AM) (new)

Maria | 86 comments I love when Elinor talks to Marianne about her feelings for Edward. For the first time we see what Elinor feels. She opens up her heart and we understand, along with Marianne, how much she loves Edward.

message 38: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

It is great to finally see Elinor's feelings and a mature Marianne! :)

message 39: by Anne (new)

Anne | 70 comments I'm so glad that Elinor ended up with Edward! I confess at some point I really thought he was gonna marry Lucy!