Jane Austen discussion

Book: Pride & Prejudice > Favourite Moments

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Sophie | 2624 comments Mod
Favourite moments from either the book or the adaptations?
(my opinions will follow :) )

message 2: by Anne (last edited Sep 20, 2012 04:54PM) (new)

Anne (cinderella16) | 115 comments I'm re-reading the book right now so I have lots of good stuff. ;)
I love the part where Lizzie and the Gardiners go to Pemberley and Darcy is so...'changed.' (Due to Lizzie!)
I like that part in the '95 mini-series too.
Also I love his first proposal. Doesn't it make you want to laugh at how ridiculous it was? If a guy said that to me I would have been sooooo mad! And I would have told him so, too.

message 3: by Irene (new)

Irene | 271 comments For what concerns the book I've always liked all the conversations between Elizabeth and Mr Darcy. My favourite one is the conversation at Netherfield, in which Caroline Bingley enumerates all the accomplishments a lady must have.
Then obviously I love the scenes at Pemberley with the Gardiners.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) I agree, all Elizabeth and Darcy conversations are good... and both the BBC and movie adaptations have wonderful moments at the end when he proposes the second time. I'm always a sucker for 'I love you' moments! :)

message 5: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Anne wrote: "I'm re-reading the book right now so I have lots of good stuff. ;)
I love the part where Lizzie and the Gardiners go to Pemberley and Darcy is so...'changed.' (Due to Lizzie!)
I like that part in t..."

haha! your making me want to read it again!
The Pemberley scene is great! and when they bump into each other!
In the 95, I think that is done well, and im not leaning towards it because of the wet shirt ;) but because I think the conversation is perfect, and so sweet how he asks about her family, and then asks again! aww!

the first proposal is classic! and you are like Lizzie then, if you would tell him. I think I would have as well, but however insulting, sayin I love you even though your family is embarassing and you have no connections and I shouldn't etc etc etc I do love you - it does show how much he loves her.

But I think i would have been like Lizzie as well ;)

message 6: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Irene Aprile wrote: "For what concerns the book I've always liked all the conversations between Elizabeth and Mr Darcy. My favourite one is the conversation at Netherfield, in which Caroline Bingley enumerates all the ..."

The scenes at Netherfield are some of my favourite too! in the books and adaptations!

I love the accomplished woman one. And the one talking about defects
some great moments there.

'i have faults and faults enough Miss Bennet but I hope they are not of understanding. My temper I cannot vouch for, it is sometimes called resentful. My good opinion once lost is lost forever'
'That is a failing indeed, but I cannot laugh at it.'
'I believe every disposition has a tendancy to some particular evil'
'and yours is a propensity to hate everyone'
'and yours, is to willfully misunderstand them'
'shall we have some music?'

LOVE IT! that isn't quite right im sure, but its along those lines!
all the scenes at Netherfield are great, and I love seeing Caroline being ignored by Darcy so much!

message 7: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (last edited Sep 22, 2012 03:25AM) (new)

Sarah Louise wrote: "I agree, all Elizabeth and Darcy conversations are good... and both the BBC and movie adaptations have wonderful moments at the end when he proposes the second time. I'm always a sucker for 'I love..."

That is a great moment!
I am a sucker for romance as well!

message 8: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

another one of my favourite moments would be...
Netherfield Ball and the conversation they have during the dance!

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) Oh yes that is a good moment too... And in the Keira version when all the other dancers disappear and it's like it's just them too in the room, the chemistry between them is intense!

message 10: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

It is so intense! And I think it works as at that point neither of them would be thinking about anyone but each other!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I love when Catherine De Bourgh comes and Lizzy repeatedly says that she isn't engaged to Darcy but that she won't say that she will never marry him.

I also love the actual proposal of Darcy to Lizzy and the assemblies and all their conversation was a lot of fun to read too.

message 12: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Yes!!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

However, any conversation or interaction between Darcy and Elizabeth just melts my fangirling heart.

message 14: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

So true!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Definitely not my favorite version, but still. *melts*

message 16: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

One of my favs!! I feel it does it justice!
And I love MacFadyen, and his voice!!!

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) Oh yes his voice... sigh lol :)

message 18: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

... :)

message 19: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments Soph wrote: "It is so intense! And I think it works as at that point neither of them would be thinking about anyone but each other!"

I absolutely love that scene! So beautiful and so tense, and I absolutely love the music.

P.S. I love Macfadyen's voice too :) *sighs* My second favorite voice to listen too. Has anyone else heard him read a chapter from Pride and Prejudice - which contains Darcy's first proposal - on YouTube?
It will make fellow Macfadyen voice-fans melt... I did :)

message 20: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments βιβλιοφάγος (a.k.a. Cat) wrote: "I love when Catherine De Bourgh comes and Lizzy repeatedly says that she isn't engaged to Darcy but that she won't say that she will never marry him.

I also love the actual proposal of Darcy to Li..."

Haha, that scene is wonderful too, I'm always both laughing at how peeved Lady Catherine is getting and going "Go Lizzie" in my head, but I'm also going "Awwwwww"

All their conversations are a lot of fun. :)

message 21: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Love his voice!!

The scenes are great!

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) "You have bewitched me, body and soul" - nice line from MM!

message 23: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Great line from MM!!! <3

message 24: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments :) I love that line too. I can't decide whether I love or hate the line after it though... "I love, I love, I love you." I mean, it's very sweet, but also vaguely annoying.

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Louise Smith (sarahlouisesmith) I know what you mean... It's sweet and yet at the same time you feel like telling him to just spit it out :)

message 26: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

aww, you guys!! i think it is sweet!
he has trouble saying it - not as much and in a different way - in the first proposal bless him!

message 27: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

would have ruined the moment a bit if Lizzie suddenly said 'come on, spit it out already!' ;) haha

message 28: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments :D Lol, Soph - I'm not saying it wasn't sweet, I think it was incredibly sweet! And it would have been just a little awkward if she had told him to spit it out, but it was still a bit like that. I honestly can't decide whether I would change it or not - because it does annoy me kind of, but at the same time I'm always going "Awwwwww" when he says that. :D

message 29: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I know what you mean but I wouldn't change it.
Love the setting! So pretty! And it shows how powerful and romantic words can be without a kiss!!

message 30: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments :) I don't think I would change it either. You are right, it does show how powerful and romantic words can be - although, I'm probably being a bit of a hypocrite here because I always switch my DVD over to the alternate ending. :D

message 31: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Oh.... So do I ;D hahahahaha

message 32: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments LOL! I always feel a little ashamed of myself and it does feel a little disjointed - but *shrug* I couldn't end the movie without a kiss between Darcy and Lizzie, once I knew the possibility was there. It's hard enough not seeing a proposal or a kiss or anything in S&S 95! But of course, I will be imagining the actors from 95 when I read Colonel Brandon's Diary. :) So that's some compensation. Have you see the deleted scene with Edward and Elinor kissing? It's so sweet.

message 33: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I agree with you there!!
Yes! It's so annoying!!
You will be satisfied when you read the diary then! And yes, I have seen it!! <3

message 34: by Marren (new)

Marren | 764 comments Darcy bearing his heart the second time to Lizzie. awwww, oh la la la la,. There are other memories, when Lady C came rattling her mouth and Lizzie told her off. To be continued...

message 35: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Tbc haha ;) good!

Love the second proposal!!

message 36: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments Soph wrote: "I agree with you there!!
Yes! It's so annoying!!
You will be satisfied when you read the diary then! And yes, I have seen it!! <3"

:) It is annoying, but I am well enough contented with the ending to S&S 1995 - I'm almost always pretty much crying with happiness when Brandon and Marianne come out of the church together. And it is so right that Willoughby should have been there, from afar - it gives me a certain vindictive pleasure. Oh, of course I will be satisfied after I read the diary, I know I shall!

message 37: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Yes! It is satisfying! In the 08 one they show the scene when he comes to see Elinor and try and excuse himself! I wish that was in 95....

message 38: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments LOL, which scene is this? I haven't read it in too long - I'm reading it after I've finished the series I'm on at the moment. But I really like the 95 version, no matter what was left out. :)

message 39: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

When Willoughby turns up drunk when he hears about Marianne being Ill and tries to excuse himself!!

message 40: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments Oh, that one! For some reason I thought we were talking about Brandon! Haha, silly me. Yes, Willoughby in that scene is beyond despicable. But I think Greg Wise played Willoughby almost too well in the 95 version, and if he had turned up the audience (not including me) may actually have started feeling sympathy for him - which would never do! No, I think I'm more happy with crying while Elinor is begging Marianne to stay alive, at the same time wishing Brandon was there at her side too.

message 41: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

That's true. Though in 08 one I disliked him more for it!

message 42: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I only wish Emma Thompson was younger when she was Elinor. She was too old for the role!

message 43: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments Haha, I disliked him enough without it. :D

And I don't actually think Emma Thompson looked overly old for the role - there were moments when she looked too old, but overall she was all right. Besides, all the actors were just a little old, so it was all proportional. So, yeah, in any case, I think with a little imagination all the actors in S&S 95 were perfectly plausible. :)

message 44: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

That's true, they were all a little old so it was a bit more reasonable!

message 45: by Anne (new)

Anne (cinderella16) | 115 comments I really liked Emma Thompson as Elinor. She and Greg Wise were the only actors I really liked in that movie. (I'm sorry, but at first sight, I would have been like Marianne. I think Greg Wise was really nice looking.) I can't stand the guy that plays Willoughby in the 2008 version though. He's the only one I would change, I think.

message 46: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

(Love that they are married!)
I like him in the 08 :) Greg wise is great though - so mean to Brandon though! Impersonating him and all ;)

message 47: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments Soph wrote: "(Love that they are married!)
I like him in the 08 :) Greg wise is great though - so mean to Brandon though! Impersonating him and all ;)"

I hate that bit! It's so mean - especially when he says "frailty thy name is Brandon". I was like "I totally hate you right now, it's your fault he's gone away because you screwed his foster-daughter and left her - and if that isn't frailty I don't know what is."
Grrr!

message 48: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

HAHAHA love it Becca!!

message 49: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca May | 561 comments :D Well, it may be blunt, but it's true.

:P "Frailty thy name is Willoughby" - we should tell him that in our slapping thread, once we're finished with Lady Catherine and various others.

message 50: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

YES!

« previous 1