College Students! discussion

books, books, and more books! > Book you can't put down

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Christa (new)

Christa (mynameischrista) Does anyone have a book that they just couldn't put down? For instance you stayed up so late reading it even though you had to get up early the next morning?

message 2: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments Oh, many, many times. Most recently was probably The Name of the Wind. That thing was glued to my hand for like 2 days.

message 3: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
The Book Thief..Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close..hmm..probably a few more..but i distinctly remember doing that for these.

message 4: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments Oh yes. I agree with Jamie on both counts. Both of those books are AMAZING.

message 5: by Christa (new)

Christa (mynameischrista) I read The Book Thief and I loved it. My grandma is visiting right now and I had her read it. She grew up and remember exactly how the day was for her when WWII started.

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments The Hunger Games. I stayed up way too late reading that one.

message 7: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) Jamie wrote: "The Book Thief..Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close..hmm..probably a few more..but i distinctly remember doing that for these."

The Book Thief just came in the mail for me today! I love amazon!

I feel most of the books I read are can't put down books, but it sometimes takes awhile to discover that.

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) Most recently for myself was Devil in White City. My mom is reading Starvation Heights and has stayed up way past her bedtime for a few nights now so I'm excited for her to pass it on to me.

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily Okay for me it's mostly about the characters. I just really want to know what happens to them. Sometimes the book is poorly written or i dislike the ending, so I'm not recommending them. I'm just saying these are some books i read in one sitting. off the top of my head....pretty much all the Harry Potters,The Time Traveler's Wife, The Handmaid's Tale,Remember Me?, Anne Frank RememberedEscape, Twilight,The Last Summer...umm yeah, I know there are so many more I'm not thinking of...

message 10: by Monique (new)

Monique (moniquereads) The Time Traveler's Wife
The Alchemist
The Kite Runner

message 11: by Annette (last edited Feb 08, 2009 07:47AM) (new)

Annette (annette_marie_reads) | 39 comments I am sure there are more but the ones that I remember right now are:

Girl with a Pearl Earring
The Red Tent
Peace Like a River
Gone With The Wind
My Life in France

message 12: by Christa (new)

Christa (mynameischrista) Emily is The Last Summer the Ann Brashares book? If it is I read that really quickly myself because I could relate with the main character of it. Also I agree on Harry Potter, and the Time Traveler's Wife.

Annette I LOVE Gone With the Wind, it is one of my most favorite books.

message 13: by Janet (new)

Janet Ooo yeah Harry Potter for me. Also, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. That was probably the last one I read that I could not put down!

message 14: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) I've read Everything Is Illuminated A Novelby Foer, but have yet to read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Is it better than Everything Is Illuminated??

message 15: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I've read part of EII and all of EL&IC. I prefered EL&IC myself.. I found it easier to read (the Judaism references in EII sometimes confused me and slowed me down just b/c I wasn't sure what was being said.) But both are really good!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

All of the Harry Potter books. Also, The Lovely Bones. I couldn't put that book down once I read the first sentence...it completely enthralls me.

message 17: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 143 comments I couldn't put I am the Messenger down as well as Pride and Prejudice.

message 18: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Yay for old threads!

Hmm..I already posted a few when this thread was first posted but recently I couldn't put down The Time Traveler's Wife!

message 19: by Christa (new)

Christa (mynameischrista) I just read Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult and I couldn't put that down. AND I had finals while I was reading it! I've noticed that I can't put Jodi Picoult books down in general.

message 20: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments The Hunger Games. I couldn't put it down after the first page.

message 21: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

Lori Walker | 2109 comments Mod
I'm having a hard time putting down The Rum Diary. I have about 70 pages left and I started it on Saturday. I imagine I'll finish early this afternoon. I would already be done with it but I had to help my parents for a few hours on Saturday and Sunday with the fence they're putting in.

message 22: by Sofistixatedlady (new)

Sofistixatedlady | 65 comments The Thirteenth Tale
The Book Thief
The Historian
What My Mother Doesn't Know
What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know

message 23: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I agree!! The Thirteenth Tale was a really good one that i couldn't put down!

message 24: by Sofistixatedlady (new)

Sofistixatedlady | 65 comments oh yea and Water for Elephants was another one by Sara G.

message 25: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments My most recent two books "I couldn't put down" were The Time Traveler's Wife and Water for Elephants.

message 26: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I couldn't put either of those books down either!

message 27: by Janet (new)

Janet I loved Water for Elephants! I am also on Eclipse and have had trouble putting those books down!

message 28: by Heather (new)

Heather (andshewontsleep) | 278 comments Right now I'm reading Sarah's Key and I'm having the hardest time putting it down to do the necessary things in life like eat, sleep and work haha. I highly recommend this if you have even the slightest interest in historical fiction/ the holocaust.

message 29: by jessi (last edited Sep 05, 2009 07:30AM) (new)

jessi (infinitevantage) | 157 comments Definitely Harry Potter. When I was waiting for those books to come out, I would buy them at midnight and stay up most of the night reading. I would usually finish it the next day. Even when I reread them, I have a tough time putting them down.

When I read Life of Pi, I remember getting really absorbed in it, as well.

And Holes. What a freaking good book.

message 30: by Emily (new)

Emily I couldn't put down Ender's Game. Didn't even like it that much, just couldnt put it down.

Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (shadowrose) Harry Potter Series
Water for Elephants
The Time Traveler's Wife
Elantris
Any of the Zamonia novels from Walter Moers
Nefertiti

Oh there are so many, but those are the ones I finished quite quickly

message 32: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments Never Let Me Go
The God Delusion
The Time Traveller's Wife
Possession, once it got past the really boring first section.

message 33: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 604 comments The Crimson Petal and the White. That book is long (894 pages) but when I got to the last page, I was very upset. I wanted it to go on forever.

I was also very obsessed with Ella Enchanted. I read it in the 7th grade, and I stayed up until around 3 or 4 at night so that I could finish it. I believe that was the only book I ever managed to finish in one day--besides romance novels :)

I also remember this one book which seemed to end way too soon for me. I was reading the last chapter, and I turned to page and noticed that I was staring at the Author's biography. The ending had come unexpectedly quick and I could feel my heart breaking. For the life of me I can't remember the title of that book, though. I'll have to think on it. But that image of turning the page and realizing with shock that the book had ended is very fresh in my mind. Has anyone else ever experienced that?

message 34: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Kayla, yes I have! It's terrible, almost like being woken up from a really good dream before you get to finish it.

message 35: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I had a hard time putting Blindness down as well as Thirteen Reasons Why. I'm reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo right now and, at first, I really couldn't get into it but now I can't put it down!

message 36: by Jen (last edited Mar 12, 2010 08:30AM) (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments Jamie, I had the same problem with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. It was a slow start but then it picks up and you can't put it down!

message 37: by Jess (new)

Jess Harry Potter, John Steinbeck's East of Eden, and Stieg Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo have been pretty difficult to put down! I haven't flown through a 600 page book in such a short period, so the Larsson book definitely was engaging. So good! I can't wait to read the sequel.

message 38: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin I could absolutely NOT put down Water for Elephants. That books was great.

I'm sure there's more, but that's the first one that came to mind.

<3

message 39: by Annie (new)

Annie Hartman (anniebananie) | 242 comments The more I read through these posts the more I agree with people's choices! There are too many to list!
Most recently, Her Fearful Symmetry. I dont care what anyone says, I loved it!

message 40: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 686 comments I agree with everyone who mentioned Harry Potter, I got the books as soon as they were out and literally had to be dragged to the dinner table cause I was glued to my book. Also the Hunger Games, I started and finished that one in one go, with only a little break cause my boyfriend told me to go shower and get out of bed.
I also remember being absorbed by A Great and Terrible Beauty, The Name of the Wind, The Shadow of the Wind and The Notebook.
When I was younger I used to stay up late (or all night) all the time to finish a book, but nowadays I'm to exhausted from being at the hospital all day to do this (though sometimes I really want to). I tend to enjoy books more when I read them over a small period of time, because then I can really get into the world an author created, without being disturbed by trivial things, such as real life ;)

message 41: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessikareads) Definitely Harry Potter! And anything by Stephen King. Except, I usually run into problems there--I can't put them down but I usually have to at some point because I get too freaked out! haha

message 42: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I agree with a lot of you on the Harry Potter series being books that couldn't be put down. "The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud" was a really good book, hard to put down. It's also one of my favorites.

message 43: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played With Fire are the most recent that I couldn't put down. Whenever I recommend the first one to customers, I feel like I have to let them know that it's really hard to get into, but once you do, it's fabulous!

message 44: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 4 comments The Christmas Sweater by Glenn Beck (Can read any time of year)

The Hunger Games (Obviously)

City of Bones (Stayed up until the wee hours of the morning to only feel terribly disappointed at the end :/ oh well.)

message 45: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) Stephen Chbosky's The Perks of Being a Wallflower! I remember it being somewhat frustrating because I was in the middle of my exams and just wanted to read a couple of pages to relax but I kept on reading it.
The Catcher in the Rye was yet another one I couldn't put down, I think I read it over the course of a day. I think it's the way it's written - many people don't like it, but I find that it just... flows.
Dracula, which I finished just the other day, started off as frustrating, but about 1/4 in got really interesting and couldn't put it down either.
With Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, I also felt a urge to know what was going to happen next, so it was hard to get away from it.

message 46: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I'm with you Barbara..EL&IC was so hard to put down! It really got me back into reading honestly. I had stopped reading alot and that book just renewed my interest.

message 47: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessikareads) The Kite Runner is so hard for me to put down, which is unusual for me. Typically, books with difficult subject matters are very very easy for me to put aside, but I can't stop reading it!

message 48: by Lori, The Over-Caffeinated Coffee Girl (new)

Lori Walker | 2109 comments Mod
I had the HARDEST time putting down East of Eden when I read it. I just couldn't wait to see what would happen next.

message 49: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) Jess wrote: "The Kite Runner is so hard for me to put down, which is unusual for me. Typically, books with difficult subject matters are very very easy for me to put aside, but I can't stop reading it!"

The Kite Runner was like that for me as well. I didn't really like it in the end, but it was good it took me so little time to read, as it was for an English class.

message 50: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessikareads) Bárbara wrote: "Jess wrote: "The Kite Runner is so hard for me to put down, which is unusual for me. Typically, books with difficult subject matters are very very easy for me to put aside, but I can't stop reading..."

I've had to force myself to slow down with it! When I find I'm reading it too quickly, I pick up my other read (Snow Falling on Cedars) and read that for a while. It's a much slower, but still very pleasant, read. Then I'll go galloping through The Kite Runner again!

« previous 1