Read by Theme discussion

The Giver (The Giver, #1)
This topic is about The Giver
Book Discussions > The Giver

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mariah (mariahroo) | 7 comments I'd been meaning to read this for a long while.
So, I guess 12 is close enough to teen and about a year goes by anyway.

I've already finished it: I thought The Giver was very good! It didn't really make any profound statements to me but I found it to be very emotional.

message 2: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) | 733 comments I own this, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. And I was very surprised the other day to see that there was a fourth book coming out in a week or two.

Jayme I read this a couple of years ago, but didn't know it was a series. I really liked The Giver.

message 4: by Melissa (last edited Sep 20, 2012 03:55PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Melissa I thought it was ok but it didn't Wow me.

I just kept waiting for something more to develop with the book and it never did but I guess since they lived a life of sameness that worked well with the plot.

I like my books with world building and I want to know why and how the world became that way, which isn't addressed in this book.

Jaclyn Harrison | 35 comments This was my all-time favorite book as a kid. I haven't read it in probably 15 years. I wonder how I would like it now as an adult.

Jenny | 28 comments I've read the book for school in a read-novels project. If you haven't already read the book you might not want to read any further than this.

I found that the end was somehow describing how our dear protagonist (can't remember his name...) dies. i don't know really how that goes with the fact that there's a follow-up, or at least a series. Is the series about the boy or about the Giver left in the town?

Melissa Jenny wrote: "I've read the book for school in a read-novels project. If you haven't already read the book you might not want to read any further than this.

I found that the end was somehow describing how our d..."

I thought the same thing. I have the next book in the series, but I haven't read it; according to the back its about a different character living in a different type of community.