Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) Mockingjay discussion

Did anyone else fall out of their chair? *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Did anyone else completely fall out of their chair when Katniss shot Coin instead of Snow?
For me it was totally unsuspected! I thought she was totally going to just shoot Snow and be all happy because he was the root of her problems.
Also, what are your theories on what happened to Snow at the end?

Hayley It was quite a shock, but I was still so shocked by Prim and Finnick's deaths that it didn't really have an effect on me... It was just shock shock shock and no recovery time in between! And then there was one more chapter and a teenie epilogue and then the book was over and I was just overwhelmed with emotions and had to sit for awhile and process everything!

Daniel Hayley wrote: "It was quite a shock, but I was still so shocked by Prim and Finnick's deaths that it didn't really have an effect on me... It was just shock shock shock and no recovery time in between! And then t..."

I was not shocked at all. Coin had Prim killed, I expected Katniss to kill Coin.

Alyssa I was super shocked. At first I thought she would kill Snow, and then Katniss started thinking some... interesting thoughts and I was starting to wonder this was supposed to be going. But still; super shocked.
Snow was probably just in shock too. And you have to remember: he's an old guy. The shock was probably too great for his now weak and frail body, so that's probably why he choked to death... on his own blood.

Danielle That was my favorite plot twist in the book. I almost cheered, I loved it so much.

I wasn't super surprised, especially once she found out about Snows terrible health.

Lindsay Carpenter Not a shock at all for me. There were hints of Coin being no better than Snow from the first time Katniss meets her. The way I saw it, there were few endings possible: killing Snow, but being stuck in the same evil cycle, not killing anyone and being stuck in the same endless cycle but with Snow suddenly not seeming so bad, and of course, killing Coin (and optionally killing Snow, too, but having him die another way was pretty good) leading to an unknown future.

Gabby I read it three times, because i thought she did shoot Snow. and then it said that he started laughing and i was a teenie bit confused :)

Tina J Yes, it was definitely a surprise, but totally needed.
Snow was dying anyway and Katniss knew that.
What would be the point in giving him an early death?
When Coin was only going to replace Snow.

I don't know if I remember clearly, but didn't Snow get trampled at the end? But no one was sure if that had killed him, or if he took his last breath while he was laughing hysterically.

Brynne I was totally not expecting it either!!! It was amazing but I was so sad that so many people die in the book. But I did love how Katniss ended up with Peeta!!!

message 10: by Suge (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suge I was more shocked when Peeta tried to choke out Katniss.

Rebecca Daniel wrote: "Hayley wrote: "It was quite a shock, but I was still so shocked by Prim and Finnick's deaths that it didn't really have an effect on me... It was just shock shock shock and no recovery time in betw..."

I agree, I was also going along that line of thought, so it wasn't that much of a shock to me. Katniss had always placed Prim on a more important position to herself than her own self. So I figured it only made sense that when given the chance to take revenge for either herself or for Prim, she chose to do it for Prim.

message 12: by Gabby (new) - rated it 1 star

Gabby Suge wrote: "I was more shocked when Peeta tried to choke out Katniss."

Actually- i laughed when that happened. It just seemed so slow-motiony that it was funny :)

Rachel I did not expect Katniss to kill Coin, though I knew she saw Coin as a new problem. I just sat and stared when she did it, and I was both happy and terrified for her. I think Snow died from his poisoning.

Rachel Suge wrote: "I was more shocked when Peeta tried to choke out Katniss."

I was shocked, but, as Gabby above mentioned, it was so slow motion. In fact, I wasn't quite sure what I was reading and had to re-read it.

Rachel Hayley wrote: "It was quite a shock, but I was still so shocked by Prim and Finnick's deaths that it didn't really have an effect on me... It was just shock shock shock and no recovery time in between! And then t..."

I felt the exact same way! I can't read another book for a few days now, so I can let everything from this series sink in.

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ Cat wrote: "Did anyone else completely fall out of their chair when Katniss shot Coin instead of Snow?
For me it was totally unsuspected! I thought she was totally going to just shoot Snow and be all happy bec..."

I had to reread that part like three times!

Charlotte Joshua wrote: "i read the part where primm dies like 3 times hoping i read it wrong im a adult male that truly made me sad. I was glad i was alone or i been embrassed"

OH MY GOD the exact thing happened to me when that happened and when Finnick died It happened so quickly, that I didnt even notice until i went back a second later and was like WHAT?!?!?!? Im so mad a Suzanne Collins for killing Finnick. He was one of my favorite characters....

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I know! Finnick was sooooo much better than both Peeta and Gale!

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 25, 2012 08:40PM) (new)

finnick is favourite

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

WHY DID HE DIE?!?!!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!!??!???????!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?!?!???????!?!?!!?!?!!!????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

STUPID MUTTS

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR ILL KILL ALL THE MUTTS

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

HE WAS JUST ABOUT TO HAVE A BABY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I MEAN A CUTE LITTLE BABY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 25: by Katerina (new) - added it

Katerina I hoped she would kill her. You never disapoint me Katniss. Later, I realised it was her plan since she talked to Snow and by suggesting another Games Coin just delivered the proof that was needed for the others to see she was just like Snow.

Nicki Cat wrote: "Did anyone else completely fall out of their chair when Katniss shot Coin instead of Snow?
For me it was totally unsuspected! I thought she was totally going to just shoot Snow and be all happy bec..."

Haha I am one of those people who don't see things coming, so I'm easily surprised. So to answer your questions... YES! I then proceeded to jump up and down and whoop even though it was two in the morning. I loved it.

Chelsey Nicki wrote: "Cat wrote: "Did anyone else completely fall out of their chair when Katniss shot Coin instead of Snow?
For me it was totally unsuspected! I thought she was totally going to just shoot Snow and be a..."

I was not shocked at all! I knew she was either going to kill Coin or over throw her eventually. Because Katniss does not like to be controled and Coin was very controling and manipulative as well. And she had nothing to lose after Prim died.

Chelsey Gabby wrote: "Suge wrote: "I was more shocked when Peeta tried to choke out Katniss."

Actually- i laughed when that happened. It just seemed so slow-motiony that it was funny :)"

I had to re-read that section at least three times because I did not understand what was happening lol. I never thought Peeta would hurt Katniss so I thought maybe I misread something and someone else was choking Katniss.

message 29: by Sheechiibii (last edited Oct 10, 2012 09:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sheechiibii I was surprised but not that much. I could sense that something was going to happen. After she said yes to Coin's idea of another Hunger games and said it was 'for Prim' I knew there was something going on that we weren't seeing in Katniss' thoughts. Still the way it was written was really sudden, I thought she was going to shoot Snow, didn't really question that part, even though I was suspicious about her having other plans.

As for Snow's death. I've read interesting ideas that the Rose she gave him was poisoned. In fact, it's actually described as such in the book (more than once I think), but I'd always thought that was just Katniss hating on roses. Food for thought?

Monkique I was more shocked when she accepted another hunger games. I know that wasn't a plot twist or something like that, but I was like what??? After all that you went through?! really?

message 31: by Cecilia (last edited Nov 07, 2012 11:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cecilia Carreon Even though she voted yes, do you really think she meant to go through with it. I think she was plotting something maybe not Coins death yet but something maybe she only agreed out of pain of losing Prim. I wasn't that surprised i mean she had hints back to when Boggs was dying he told her not to trust ANYONE also Snow played a big part by speaking the truth although he was a wretched man she still knew better then not believe him, he had nothing to loose. it was more or less predictable. However Prim and Finnicks death we were not im still mourning for Finnick :.( Poor Annie. Did have to reread though!

Johana Tapia I'm still not sure I get the ending I think I might have to read it again.

message 33: by Ruth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruth I was very sad at Finnick's death, because he was my favorite character. It didn't shock me, though. The death that I almost had a heart attack over was Prim's.

Stephanie Bolen I saw it coming as soon as she approved of a new hunger games. She lived in fear of them her whole life, and then she supports tormenting future generations. Katniss is a protector she would never allow more kids to suffer like her and Rue.

Brynne I was also very sad about Finnick's death. It was so sad. And he sacrificed himself for the rebellion. So sad....

message 36: by Megs (new) - rated it 5 stars

Megs I wanted her to kill Coin. I thought she's reached a point where killing Snow in front of everyone wasn't right, if you know what I mean. He didn't deserve to be given such a grand farewell, I kinda wanted him to be locked away forever... But Coin! I hated her! She was well and truly evil! I knew it was coming. It didn't shock me at all. It just made me very satisfied.

message 37: by Gaby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gaby Testa same.

Jayashi βιβλιοφάγος (a.k.a. Cat) wrote: "Did anyone else completely fall out of their chair when Katniss shot Coin instead of Snow?

At first I thought she killed Snow, but then he started laughing and I was confused then i re-read it and I was just shocked, I was wondering why then I got it. But I wish katniss somehow saves Prim and they both live, but maybe Gale died instead because he ran into that area that the bomb went off in (?), so katniss kills Coin and snow dies laughing. That would make the book better. You don't have to agree with me, this is jut what I think.

Sheechiibii Jayashi wrote: "βιβλιοφάγος (a.k.a. Cat) wrote: "Did anyone else completely fall out of their chair when Katniss shot Coin instead of Snow?
For me it was totally unsuspected! I thought she was totally going to jus..."

I'm very glad Gale didn't die. That would have been a sure-fire way to kill the romance dead in it's tracks. Classic love triangle cop-out scenario.

message 40: by Isabella (last edited Jan 02, 2013 07:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Isabella I was shocked, but I thought that it was quite a good twist. By kind of showing (from Katniss' perspective) that she didn't think that Coin was any better than Snow.