What's 811 Reading? discussion

September > 9/20: Meaningful Experience

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Flagg (new)

Ms. Flagg (MissFlagg) | 49 comments Mod
In your independent reading book, identify a meaningful/important experience that your protagonist went through. Explain how it affected him/her.

Stuck on where to begin?:
-Identify your title and author
-Describe the meaningful/important experience (2-3 sentences)
-How did it affect him her? Did he/she learn anything? (2-3 sentences)

This should be at least seven sentences!

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy Chen | 44 comments Through the story, Rick Riordan included some meaningful/important experience of Percy Jackson in The Labyrinth. Some of the meaningful/important experience Percy Jackson went through was dealing with bully, Clarisse, daughter of Ares, God of War. She would pick on any half-blood that was a beginner and do anything to harm them. She picked on Percy, surprisingly. She would try to drown him in a toilet and any other harmful things. It affected Percy because it distracted Percy from working hard and training at Camp. How he overcome it was to defeat his opponents, including Clarisse. They were playing a friendly war against each other and Percy and Clarisse were fighting to get the flag. However, Percy did manage to defeat her, which she was in disbelief. That way, Percy led the Camp as a leader and doing quests, which prevented Clarisse from picking him anymore.

message 3: by Altamir III (new)

Altamir III III (longdeoking) | 27 comments The book I read was Derek Jeter and the author was Matt Christopher. The guy in the book was a boy who ever since he was little, he wanted to be a baseball player, playing shortstop in the New York Yankees. Now his father always said that to get what you want, you have to fight for it. And do he did, and you know what happened, he turned out to be a baseball player. Now the difficulties that he went threw was that when he was in the team, he started out not playing good and it started to affect him in the game but whe he started traing harder and harder, he gave his team 3 world series. After all that he has learned that to get what you want, you fight for it. P.S I am writing this on my PS3, so for you all who think that xbox is better, well no it is not.

message 4: by Gaby (new)

Gaby | 7 comments In my book Waiting for you by Susane Colasanti my protaganist Marisa had a couple of memoir moments during the book, but one really stood out to me. Marisa is a senior now and for years now shes been wanting a new boyfriend and she knows exactly who she wants. Now this kids name is Derek . Derek is an all star athlete. The catch was that he already has a girlfriend . In the text she says "All i think about is Derek. I cant sleep. I think about him for hours, lying in bed at night. I cant even eat. Eating two crackers is an accomplishment. " I think shes like in love with him. Later in the book she starts to go out with him but they brake up close to the end because she found out he used her. Her lesson learned would be not to " fall in love " quickly because that person can end up hurting you .

message 5: by Zoe (new)

Zoe | 25 comments The book I am reading is called "Living Free" by Joy Adamson. There isn't really a protagonist in the book because it is nonfiction, but one of the main characters is Joy Adamson. One meaningful experience she went through was taking care of a lion named Elsa. I think it was a meaningful/important experience because it's probably very rare to be able to take care of a lion. I think it affected her because she got to learn more about lions. I also think that Joy Adamson had learned more about what lions were like.

message 6: by Corey (new)

Corey | 43 comments In my book "They Never Came Back" by Caroline B. Cononey
Cathy had an important experience. In this book, Tommy thinks that Cathy is his cousin whose name is Murielle.Murielle's parent flew out of the country after ripping people off. They left Murieele behind. Ever since Tommy has been looking for her. It was important if Cathy knows if she is Cathy or not.
Cathy is confused because her mother did not know about this and did not tell her any. Cathy finally learns that she was Cathy.

message 7: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Mok (SydneyMok) | 43 comments In the book a Child Called "It" by David Pelzer the protagonist, David, suffered a lot when he was younger. He was abused by his mother and wasn't treated like a human being but a dog... worst than a dog. Every single day, he would be beat up or tortured and he never got to do anything with the family. His mother hardly feed him and his father was just always on his mother's side. He would be so hungry he would then steal food from people, beg on the street and even steal food from the school. He knew somehow his mother would find out and she did so she made him throw up his food and eat it. She would do this every single day to him to make sure he wasn't eating. He learned to never do anything his mother would punish him for or not like because he was going to get beat or tortured in the end. Luckily, his teachers found out and was sent to a foster care home.

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen (allergic2haters) | 37 comments In the book The Glass Castle by Jeannete Walls in the beginning of the book Jeannete was cooking hotdog when she was three years old. But a few minutes later her apron was on fire. The fire was all over her entire body. Her mother came and covered her with a big blanket. Her parents took her to the hospital. It affected her because she didn't see the flame on her apron. She learned that to be very careful when she cooks the hotdogs and when the fire is near her.

message 9: by Wesley (new)

Wesley | 50 comments in my book "the outsiders" is a very goo interesting book about a greaser( a poor kid) named Ponyboy who faces trouble.he has two other brothers named Sodapop, and Darry. he is in a gang and the members are TWo-Bit, Dally, Steve, and Johnny. one night johnny dally and pony boy go to a m,ovie and meet to Socs(rich people)named Cherry and MArcia. they meet them buy DAlly leaves. in a few minutes Two-bit shows up who pretends to be a soc and scares JOhnny and ponyboy. they leave and the boyfriends of the two girls show up. then after at night Ponyboy and johnny are in the parking lot, a blue mustang pulls up and the socs jump johnny and ponyboy. but as ponyboy is about to die johnny stabs a the soc and he dies. then Pony and johnny are on the run.

pony and johnny are very scared and because of this johnny is dying. they were really nervous and their lives were changed. johnny is dead and ponyboy is not as "gold"

message 10: by Wesley (new)

Wesley | 50 comments ps i forgot to correct it

message 11: by Jamilah (last edited Sep 20, 2012 05:53PM) (new)

Jamilah B | 37 comments In the book A Child Called "It", by Dave Pelzer, the protagonist Dave has been repeatedly beaten by the antagonist his mother. Dave's mother doesn't feed Dave at all.So he steals frozen food from the cafeteria pick up truck. When he gets home, his mother drags him into the bathroom and makes him throw the stolen he ate up in the toilet. When she's done with him, she tells his father who disagrees about not feeding Dave. She gets angry and tells Dave to eat what he threw up (frozen hotdogs and tater tots. Dave learns that he shouldn't steal food no matter how hungry he is and how much his mother doesn't feed him even though i would have done the same thing (not the throw up part).

message 12: by Yamil (last edited Nov 18, 2012 07:20PM) (new)

Yamil Cifuentes | 40 comments In Jeff Kinney's realistic fiction "Diary of a wimpy kid," Greg kept a secret safe from his brother Rodrick. The secret was that when Rodrick had a party when their parents were away. They had no permission. Greg felt guilty. The parents were thinking that they had a party, so they found evidences. When Greg's parents found out not only he got in trouble for having a party he got in trouble for lying. Greg learned his lesson to never to lie to your parents.

message 13: by Sami (new)

Sami Blakaj | 5 comments The book I read was "The Hunger Games" By Suzanne Collins. The main character Katniss Everdeen goes through so much agony and pain that If I had been In the same pridiciment that I would volenteer myself for my older brother. Katniss Everdeen goes through many obsticles in her way to the winning of the games from volentering for her younger sister Prim Rose to nearly burning to her death. She also incounters a "Romance" with the darling bakers son Peeta Mellark.
These experiences affected Katniss in many ways that she doesnt even understand herself.
One way thet affected her is that she had to risk her life against 23 other participents in the barbarick game.
Another way that the games affected her was that she left with the confusion of her "boyfriend" Peeta.

message 14: by Kenjo (new)

Kenjo | 41 comments The book I'm reading is called, "Around The World In 80 Days." The protagonist is named Phileas Fogg. Some of the meaningful / important experiences Mr. Fogg went through are that he had detectives following him everywhere he went with his servent named Passepartout. The reason for this was because a bank robbery had occurred several weeks before and most of the evidence leads to Mr. Fogg. Knowing that he'll get caught if he stayed in England he sets out on this mission. He had to go through times where he was questioned during the trip. His servant was also drugged once after he disagrees with the detective's plan on trying to capture Mr. Fogg. This "chase" affected Mr. Fogg in many ways. One was that he had to stay watch all the time and be alert. He also had to watch out for himself and what his servant told other people or he would be caught. I'm still reading the book so I'm not sure if he's learned anything yet. He also placed a bet before leaving England of 20,000 pounds on his success.