What's 812 Reading? discussion

September > 9/20: Meaningful Experience

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Flagg (new)

Ms. Flagg (MissFlagg) | 43 comments Mod
In your independent reading book, identify a meaningful/important experience that your protagonist went through. Explain how it affected him/her.

Stuck on where to begin?:
-Identify your title and author
-Describe the meaningful/important experience (2-3 sentences)
-How did it affect him her? Did he/she learn anything? (2-3 sentences)

This should be at least seven sentences!

message 2: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 34 comments I am reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. In the beginning of the book, Katniss gets chosen to go into the hunger games. The hunger game is a battle to the death and only one survives. Nobody wants to get chosen to fight in the hunger games. Katniss was upset she got chosen because she didn't want to leave Prim, her sister and her mother. She was also scared because she thought she would die. Katniss was also concerned about who would take care of her family as she was the hunter for the family.

message 3: by Monica (new)

Monica | 43 comments The book I am reading is called Pretties by Scott Westerfeld. Tally, the protagonist, had just turned pretty. She and her new boyfriend, Zane, had just begun to think about their lives when they were both an ugly. Tally had remembered that she once tryed to escape from New Pretty Town and ran away to the smokies, a place very far away from the city's border. Now she remembered all her old friends and felt guilty about leaving them. She felt determined to find out about her mysterious past and find out who David was.

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark Markola | 4 comments In the book, The Giver by Lois Lowry, Jonas was at his job with the giver and began to proudly explain his dad’s job as a nurturer and how he is going to release a child. The giver gave Jonas a concerned look and asked if he knew what the releasing process entails. The giver manages to use the camera in the nurturing center to show Jonas just how his father releases a twin that weighs less. Jonas sees his father with twins in his hands. As he opens the door, he hands one baby to a nurturing center nurse, and closes the door to proceed with the process. He takes out a syringe from a box and sticks it in a vein on the baby’s head. As Jonas watches, he recollects getting a similar shot in his arm though not in his head. Within a blink of an eye the baby fell to its death and was placed in a bag to be thrown in a hole. Devastated, Jonas began to cry. He could never forgive his father. Full of rage he wanted to confront his dad but due to the rules of his own job, he was forced to keep silent.

message 5: by Jevel (last edited Sep 20, 2012 05:13PM) (new)

Jevel Gilbert | 18 comments The book I'm reading is called The Bully by Paul Langan. The protagonist named Darrell was scared because he was getting bullied by this very huge kid who goes to the same school as Darrell does. Darrell felt scared because every time he walks home or goes to the store, they bully would take his money or beat him up for no reason. Darrell was upset because he wasn't stronger than the bully and he was concerned that he will get bully for the rest of the school year. Darrell thought that if he stands up for himself, he would't get bullied for the rest of the year.

message 6: by Keary (new)

Keary Fulgencio | 3 comments The book that i am reading is called Bystander by James Preller. Eric is the protagonist. In the beginning of the book Eric sees David Hallen running from something but is running as fast as he could. then the next day he sees the antagonist, Griffin, and Eric thinks Griffin bullied David. Griffin is trying to use him to do his homework, which makes Eric seem like a person being taken advantage of. Eric says no at first that he does not want to hang out but then he thinks it over. Now he does not know if he can become a bystander before becoming a bully.

message 7: by Elva (new)

Elva C. | 40 comments The book I am reading is Mocking Jay by Suzanne Collins. In the book, Katniss was blame for cutting the wire for the force field for the hunger games. It affected Katniss because during the games, you cannot cut the core to the force field. If you do, it is a violation because anyone can escape now since the force field broke.It is also a problem because Peeta is covering for her that she didn't do it on purpose and Katniss is now in big trouble because there are people who doesn't want her to come back. President Snow is also upset at her too. Katniss had not learn anything yet because the story had just begun and there is more information for me to know.

message 8: by mangomango (last edited Sep 23, 2012 06:10PM) (new)

mangomango (mangomeng) The book I'm reading is The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han and the protagonist is a girl named Isabel but she doesn't go by that name she goes by Belly. From the age of three and on, she has been going to Susannah's(her mom's friend)house each Summer . She has two sons named Jeremiah and Conrad, Belly had a major crush on Conrad the older one since at age eleven. But now Belly is sixteen she has grown out of her little foolishness and she is about to change Conrad's point of view of looking at Belly. Soon days pass and they have already gotten at Susannah's house, but Conrad still doesn't look at Belly the way she wants him to look at her, days becomes to weeks and weeks turn into months. Belly decides to finally tell him how she feels about him. But the answer she get's breaks her. Conrad says "Sorry Belly, I don't think of you that way." And as the conversation goes on Belly feels that she had wasted all her love, patience and time just for Conrad the most selfish person in the whole entire world. For a whole night she cried and couldn't sleep she never knew that Conrad could be so cruel. From what she has learned love is not easy, it takes time, patience and hard work to get there.

message 9: by Steven (new)

Steven Lin | 27 comments The book that i am reading is called The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle. Sherlock Holmes is one of the protagonist in this book. So far in the book in the book Sherlock never had meaningful/important experience. I don't think that he will have a meaning/important experience. Because there was not a meaningful/important experience so far,nothing happen that affected him. I can't tell if any thing is going to affect or change Sherlock so far because the story has just began for me. But i think that nothing will happen to Sherlock.

message 10: by Ivan (new)

Ivan (ivanski711) | 30 comments The book I am reading is The Enchantress the arthur is Michael Scott. In this book the protagonist is Nicholas Flamel, and t antagonist Dr. Dee. A meaningful experience that Nicholas went through was when he lost the codex to Dr. Dee. Losing the codex affected Nicholas in a bad way because without the codex Nicholas no longer has the precious gift of immortality. Nicholas learned that the end of his era was approaching, and approaching fast. Nicholas not only knew that he was reaching the end of his life but also that he would have to do everything in his power to save the humans from being wiped out.

message 11: by Ramsey (new)

Ramsey (TheRamsey3000) | 7 comments Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
In the book Catching Fire Katniss Everdeen faced the problem if choosing who she wanted to be with. There was Gale her best friend and Peeta the boy that the capitol asumed was her boyfriend and she has to marry. She loves Peeta but she also loves Gale so it is a very hard decision. She is experiencing a lot of internal conflict. How Katniss deals with the
problem is stays with Peeta because she knows its the right think to do. Also if she doesn't she could be killed because she is starting a rebelion and the only reason she isn't dead yet is because they have simpothy for get cause they think she loves Peeta and she's pregnent with his baby. It would be a bad move if she change from Peeta to Gale. They also think that he's her cousin.

message 12: by Essam (new)

Essam Alhumoz | 20 comments The book I am reading is called Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins, The protagonist’s name is Katniss Everdeen. A meaningful and an important experience that Katniss Everdeen has is when she meets Peeta for the first time after he was in the Capitol. Katniss goes to the district 13 hospital to see Peeta, but she realizes that he isn’t the same when he returned from the Capitol. Katniss walked in to find Peeta strapped up in the hospital bed screaming “I will kill you Katniss Everdeen!” After, Katniss runs out and goes to hide behind a pipe where no one could find her. Katniss starts to cry and sob. She finally leaves her hiding place, and walks out to find Haymitch. Katniss walks up to him “What happened to him, what they did to him?” “He has been high jacked, They brainwashed him.” Katniss walks away to her room and begins to scream