The Witchlings Coven discussion

General > Ask Amanda Anything.

Comments (showing 1-46 of 46) (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Turner (amandaturner06) | 79 comments Mod
Feel free to drop in and ask me anything.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vazquezanzua (LisaVaz) | 87 comments Mod
I have a question, How did you come up with the storyline for your series? And do you plan out the whole series ahead of time, or do you just come up with stuff along the way?

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Hi Lisa,

My favorite book when i was little was the Worst Witch by Jill Murphy and that started my love for Witches, so I really wanted to write my own 'Witchy' book. I named 2 of the main characters after my grandchildren. so there i was armed with 2 names and a topic, and i sat in front of my laptop and my fingers took over. before i knew it i had written 3/4 off the first book. with a series you do have to think a little in advance. The ideas I had originally scrawled down for book 2 were completely different to what i actually wrote. so i think most of a story develops as it happens, just like real life.
I'm taking a break from The Witchlings at the moment and am writing a book called Just One Bite, a totally different main character to Roxy and I am having so much fun with her. But who knows what will happen to her!!!! Only time will tell.

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (Christinesbookshelves) | 15 comments How many books have you written?

message 5: by Amanda (new)

I wrote a few when i was younger but they were short stories. I have written and published one and another is being published next month. I am currently half way through a one off book which will be published before Christmas, then i have to start on the final installment of The Witchlings Trilogy and have that ready for spring 2013. It's been a mad year but lots of fun.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Amanda wrote: "Hi Lisa,

My favorite book when i was little was the Worst Witch by Jill Murphy and that started my love for Witches, so I really wanted to write my own 'Witchy' book. I named 2 of the main charact..."

Thank you, this does help me a lot. I have a composition notebook full of ideas for a book I wanted to write. I have all the characters and picked out names for them all. The characters backgrounds, etc. But I don't know how to start and put it all together. I was wondering if I had to plan ahead if I was going to write a sequel or so, and I was so overwhelmed I just have it sitting next to me. Thank you for sharing with me about your writing. Thank you lots!!

message 7: by Amanda (new)

That's really cool Lisa. Starting is always the hardest, my first start got scrapped and the second ended up about 8 pages in. the best way is just to get it down, you can always adjust it later. the best feeling is when you get on a role and cant type fast enough. Having the characters develop their own personality is so rewarding. If you are looking to publish it, I can give you some advice because it is a real struggle and I spend weeks searching google for advice. Any help you need just let me know, I'm still learning but am more than happy to help.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Amanda wrote: "That's really cool Lisa. Starting is always the hardest, my first start got scrapped and the second ended up about 8 pages in. the best way is just to get it down, you can always adjust it later. t..."

Thank you so much! I appreciate the advice!! I'll try and start writing and see where it leads. It won't hurt to try. Thank you like always!!

message 9: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (Christinesbookshelves) | 15 comments I love reading christmas books

message 10: by Imasha (new)

Imasha Hi Amanda!!! :)
I have a question. Since you are currently writing your AWESOME FIRST SERIES, are you were going to write any more?

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Imasha wrote: "Hi Amanda!!! :)
I have a question. Since you are currently writing your AWESOME FIRST SERIES, are you were going to write any more?"

Hello Imasha, Yes I am currently writing a book called Just One Bite. Also I'm working on Ideas for 2 more, All that Glitters, and Flame.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Hi Amanda,

Another question for you..

What do you look for in the reviews of your books? Is there a guideline, rules, etc., out there for reviewers to go by? I have only been writing reviews for a couple months now. I enjoy writing them but I feel like I am writing the same thing each time. I know my reviews are lacking something, but I cannot figure it out. I want to make my reviews more interesting. I love writing! When I was younger, I would write stories for my friends and me. I would also write scripts for plays that we put on for our families.

I just want to improve my writing skills. So if you have any advice or websites that have information on writing I would love to hear them!

Thank you again for your time‼
Lisa

message 13: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (Christinesbookshelves) | 15 comments Hey Amanda

What kind of movies do you like to watch?

message 14: by Imasha (new)

Imasha Great!!!!!!
Thats just what i needed to know!!! I can't wait to read them!!! Thank you so much for telling me! :D

message 15: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn Sanchez (Dobby2266) Hi Amanda, I have a question. Do you get writer's block? If so, what do you do?

message 16: by Amanda (new)

Jocelyn wrote: "Hi Amanda, I have a question. Do you get writer's block? If so, what do you do?"
I have a big notice board where i put up pics of characters (or the nearest i can get to what they look like) and places/ houses, anything that i include in the story and when i get stuck i look at them and wonder what they would say/ do. it actually really helps.

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Christine wrote: "Hey Amanda

What kind of movies do you like to watch?"

I like a lot of different genres, depending on my mood. I am a total twilight fan though and apparently that showed in one of my books (The Elites). They are my fave movies and only 6 weeks till breaking dawn part 2 whoop whoop.

message 18: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn Sanchez (Dobby2266) Thanks for answering my question:) I love Twilight to!

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Lisa wrote: "Hi Amanda,

What do you look for in the reviews of your books? Is there a guideline, rules, etc., out there for reviewers to go by? I have only been writing reviews for..."

Hi Lisa
What i want from a review is that the reader liked it(haha) seriously though, as long as you give reasons why you did/didnt like it then the author has something to work with. you have to not take them too literally as you will never please everyone. I liked your review it gave me exactly what i needed to improve and i cant ask for more than that.
On a writing scale i would suggest visiting your library and checking out their help with creative writing section, there are some good books with some great advice out there. I especially liked Arcon creative writing. It gives some great exercises.
Also dont be too harsh on yourself (plenty of other people will do that for you)and dont listen to them if just one other person loves what you write then youve made a difference.
You can do it Lisa!!!! Believe in yourself!!!!
P.S writing is the easy part. wait till you want to publish haha

message 20: by Lisa (last edited Sep 25, 2012 05:37PM) (new)

Amanda wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Hi Amanda,

What do you look for in the reviews of your books? Is there a guideline, rules, etc., out there for reviewers to go by? I have only been writin..."

Thank you so much for the info and advice!! Its very much appreciated!!
I was wondering if I can use the cover of The Witchlings: Midnight Curse cover for my profile picture. Its such a gorgeous pic!! I want to use it for my FB and here on goodreads. Actually I already uploaded it for my profile pic here on goodreads, but I was like thats rude of me of not asking first. So I just wanted to know if it was okay to use the pic. And then when Blood Moon comes out I want to use that cover as my profile pic, only if its alright with you.
Thank you!!!

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Yes, that's fine and an honor, thank you.

message 22: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (Christinesbookshelves) | 15 comments Hey Amanda

What are you doing for halloween and thanksgiving and christmas?

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Hey Christine,

I booked a week off work for Halloween and was supposed to be going sun seeking with the family, but now i might just go and visit my relations. they live nearly 400 miles away and don't get to see them as often as I would like. We don't really celebrate Thanksgiving in the UK but will be having my normal big family Christmas. I love Christmas, I watch all the cheesy movies and eat way too much. Of course i still have some serious writing to get done before the new year so am going to be very busy with that.

What are everyone else's plans for the holidays?

message 24: by Mahz (new)

Mahz | 8 comments Hey Amanda :)
How does it feel being an author? Who inspired you and what is an advice you would give for people who would like to be authors?

message 25: by Amanda (new)

Mahz wrote: "Hey Amanda :)
How does it feel being an author? Who inspired you and what is an advice you would give for people who would like to be authors?"

Hi Mahz,
It feels great finally doing what i always dreamed of. It was only a couple of years ago that i actually realized the was a genre for Young adult books. My first read was Vampire Academy and that was a huge inspiration. My advice would be that its never too early to start. I wasted a lot of time not believing in myself.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS believe you can do it!!!

Plus the more you write the better your writing will be.

message 26: by Mahz (new)

Mahz | 8 comments Thank you Amanda, I appreciate your advice ;)
And I will do and definitely believe in my self...

message 27: by Destiny (new)

Destiny | 1 comments Hi Amanda,
I was just curious how long it takes you to write a complete book? I have a few different stories I would like to write and am just getting started on the first one. Not that I expect to get it done in a week but am curious about what a realistic expectation is of how long a good book takes to write.
Thanks in advance for your advice and feedback :)

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Hi Amanda!
I was on Amazon looking at some books. And I came across a book that caught my eye. I just have to show you the cover of this book. Let me know what you think of it!!:)
http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-of-the-W...
P.S. Doesn't it look familiar to you?? lol

message 29: by Amanda (new)

Lisa wrote: "Hi Amanda!
I was on Amazon looking at some books. And I came across a book that caught my eye. I just have to show you the cover of this book. Let me know what you think of it!!:)
http://www.amazo..."

OMG yeah, i guess we shopped at the same place for the original photo haha. Whats funnier is we both have changed the color of her top to purple as originally it was beige.

message 30: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (Christinesbookshelves) | 15 comments Well on halloween i work and on thanksgiving i don't know what i'm doing and on christmas i don't know what i'm doing

message 31: by Lisa (last edited Oct 05, 2012 06:40AM) (new)

Amanda wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Hi Amanda!
htt..."

Haha! Really? That is funny! I guess you both like purple!! But your book cover is way better. The other one has a mirror in the back but I think the pic looks better with just the girl! lol

message 32: by Amanda (new)

Christine wrote: "Well on halloween i work and on thanksgiving i don't know what i'm doing and on christmas i don't know what i'm doing"

What do you do for a living? Halloween is massive in America (Is that where you live?) It must be a shame to miss out on the festivities for work. I used to work nights and i always decorated the front of the house, it took hours but i loved it. then i would leave my husband to answer the door to trick or treaters and he told me last year that he used to take the sweets upstairs and eat them himself and hide from the kids. A very charming man!!! lol.

message 33: by Amanda (new)

Lisa wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Hi Amanda!
I was on Amazon looking at some books. And I came across a book that caught my eye. I just have to show you the cover of this book. Let me know what you thin..."

I had mixed feelings when i saw it, but there could even be more out there. I thought that the girl alone was enough for the cover, but i am glad that author put the mirror in or else they would have been identical haha.

message 34: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (Christinesbookshelves) | 15 comments I work at the riverside elementary school where i help little kids that are handicapped and i love working on halloween because i get to see the little kids dress up

message 35: by Amanda (new)

ah well that makes up for it then. mine are too big for Halloween now, apparently 15 year old's don't do fancy dress.

message 36: by Lisa (new)

Amanda wrote: "Christine wrote: "Well on halloween i work and on thanksgiving i don't know what i'm doing and on christmas i don't know what i'm doing"

What do you do for a living? Halloween is massive in Americ..."

Lol!! Nice! What a very generous man!! lol just kidding! I would do the same to. I don't get any Trick or Treaters on my street. I guess the kids here in my neighborhood don't wanna walk to the last street!! But hey I can save some money and not have to spend so much on candy! But I do miss passing out candy though. I guess its bittersweet!

message 37: by Lisa (new)

Amanda wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Hi Amanda!
I was on Amazon looking at some books. And I came across a book that caught my eye. I just have to show you the cover of this book. Let me know ..."

Oh man! That would of sucked!! What would of happened if they were identical? When you said that you shopped around for pictures It made me wonder what you authors do about having identical pics on your books cover. Do you know of any books at there that do have identical book covers? Jeez! I would be very upset!!

message 38: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 18 comments Amanda wrote: " i put up pics of characters (or the nearest i can get to what they look like)"

So, how do I have to see this haha. Are you asking random people to pose, because they look like one of your characters? (Which would be awesome, like who wouldn't want to know they look like some one from a book :D) Or do you go hunting for pic online?
And how do you find those?

Maybe I should try a board too, I even tend to get stuck writing on short stories haha, let alone try something like a whole novel... :)

Ehhm a question: What is your signature Dish to cook and what is best thing you have ever eaten?

message 39: by Amanda (new)

Avalon wrote: "Amanda wrote: " i put up pics of characters (or the nearest i can get to what they look like)"

So, how do I have to see this haha. Are you asking random people to pose, because they look like one ..."

I generally don't have to search, sometimes i will see a pic and know instantly who the picture would be, I have even invented a character from a picture.

Definitely try the board, its a great help and fun to watch it take shape.

Ummm, my fave dish to cook a stir fry because its quick and i always play with different ingredients. My fave food to eat is from my local indian. I love indian food(im hungry now haha)

message 40: by Cielo (new)

Cielo (cielly) | 5 comments can you give me some writing tips? I try to write stories but i think it's really bad.

message 41: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (Christinesbookshelves) | 15 comments Well in new jersey we don't get to many trick or treaters either but i love handing out candy but the first thing i do is i count the candy bars before i hand them out to all of the trick or treaters

message 42: by Amanda (new)

Lisa wrote: "Hi Amanda!
http://www.amazo..."

Hey Lisa
Check this out. There's another one haha.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15...

message 43: by Lisa (new)

Amanda wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Hi Amanda!
htt..."

OMG!! I was going to show you that one to!! But then I thought, maybe she might get upset or something about me showing you when I find one!! Anyways, I love your way better!!! Nothing can compete with yours!! Man, that must be a very, very popular picture!! lol

message 44: by Amanda (new)

thanks Lisa im glad you like mine better lol. i get my pics from shuttershock then get my uncle to personalized it to what i need. it is a very popular pic Haha.
btw just got my first review for blood moon check it out i am beaming from ear to ear. oh and i love your comment about just one bite im hoping to have it finished by Christmas so souls be out middle Jan fingers crossed.
today is a good day :)

message 45: by Amanda (new)

*should not souls Haha. predict text is Soooo annoying.

message 46: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (Christinesbookshelves) | 15 comments GOOD MORNING AMANDA!