You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed Discussion Topic > Fall 2012 - New Purchases

Comments Showing 1-50 of 170 (170 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments New thread replaces - What have you just bought.

message 2: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) | 453 comments Just bought A Discovery of Witches and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I have no idea what to expect from either but picked them up at my son's school book fair where I felt that I should support them and buy something and since I had already read The Book of Negroes the pickings were slim.

They are not my normal genres so if nothing else should be a change of pace.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments I didn't buy it but I recieved Good-bye, Dracula, a Memoir The Story of a Transylvania Defector by Traian Nicola Good-bye, Dracula, a Memoir The Story of a Transylvania Defector by Traian Nicola for review in the mail today :)

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments Dem wrote: "I just received Blue AsylumBlue Asylum by Kathy Hepinstall
Winter of the World (The Century Trilogy #2) by Ken FollettWinter of the World
That They May Face The Rising Sun[bookcover:That They May Face The Rising Sun..."

I've had Blue Asylum on my Kindle for ages. I'm planning on reading it in November :)

message 6: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Our city library system has a book sale every Thursday. Last week I went to the sale for the first time and I was AMAZED! All the books are categorized AND in alphabetical order by author's last name. .25 for discounted books, 1.50 for hard back and large sized paperback, and .50 for trade paperbacks! It is HEAVEN! Unfortunatley, I'm afraid I am now on my way to becoming a book hoarder! I went again this week. It will be impossible to stay away! Did I forget to mention.....there are 1000s of books!!!!

message 7: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments Sounds like a fun time to me, April. :)

message 8: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie April, I think you have found heaven on earth! I am jealous.

message 9: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Janice, it is fun...it is fabulous! But it is also scary! I don't have space for any more books! LOL But that's going to stop me from buying them!

Chrissie....you absolutely correct. It is heaven on earth! :)

message 10: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17050 comments Oo Shannon, let me know what you think you of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I've been umming and ahhing about getting it.

message 11: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17050 comments Also, may have bought The Garden of Evening Mists tonight.

message 12: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Rusalka wrote: "Also, may have bought The Garden of Evening Mists tonight."

I too would like to read that! Have you read
The Gift of Rain? Great prose.

message 13: by Amber (new)

Amber Just downloaded Infinite Jest Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace for my Books Stephen King Recommends group. It'll be my first experience with this author.

message 14: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Shannon wrote: "Just bought A Discovery of Witches and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I have no idea what to expect from either but picked them up at my son's school book fair where I felt that I sho..."

Shannon, I can't wait to hear your thoughts on A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness . I keep seeing this book and it is starting to grow on me as a potential read.

message 15: by Almeta (last edited Sep 21, 2012 10:32AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10131 comments Amber wrote: "Just downloaded Infinite JestInfinite Jest  by David Foster Wallace for my Books Stephen King Recommends group. It'll be my first experience with this author."

My first as well, and I am grateful that there is a purple cover!

After reading what others have to say about this doorstopper, I am excited and scared at the same time.

message 16: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Almeta wrote: "Amber wrote: "Just downloaded Infinite JestInfinite Jest  by David Foster Wallace for my Books Stephen King Recommends group. It'll be my first experience with this author."

My first as well, and I am..."

Almeta and Amber, I too will be joining you for

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace ! I am so excited as I have heard so much about this author and this book! I was planning on using this for a blue book. I didn't know there was a violet cover! I guess I can decide on 12/31/12 which color I will use!

Looking forward to seeing you two in discussion!

message 17: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments April, I am soo jealous!

message 18: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments April wrote: "Our city library system has a book sale every Thursday. Last week I went to the sale for the first time and I was AMAZED! All the books are categorized AND in alphabetical order by author's last ..."

The Toronto Referance library holds a sale like that a couple times a year and I love going. It actually taking place today and tomorrow but I'm not going as Darren (the mister) is working and I don't know how to get there myself. Right now my local library is having a sale and hard covers are 50 cents and paperbacks are 10 cents.

message 19: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments I got review copies of Shades of Souls Passed by Teresa R. Andrews nd Valley of Dust by Karoleen Vry Brucks with some author swag in the mail today

I got approved for The Dead of Winter by Lee Collins from NetGalley

I bought these at the library sale for a total of $1.20

The Invincible Miss Marple (The Body in the Library / A Murder Is Announced / Murder with Mirrors) by Agatha Christie (For Darren's mom) in hardcover and Miranda and the Warrior by Elaine Barbieri Samantha and the Cowboy by Lorraine Heath Catherine and the Pirate by Karen Hawkins Gwyneth and the Thief by Margaret Moore Belle and the Beau by Beverly Jenkins Amelia and the Outlaw by Lorraine Heath Josephine and the Soldier by Beverly Jenkins
I read all of these when I was about 13 or so and I had to by them, I'll probably re-read them and pass them off to my niece.

message 20: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments @ Rusalka. How can you say I may have bought. Are you trying to kid yourself and us that you have?!? You don't need to deny to us - just mister Rusalka (I hide mine in the cupboard or just download to my kindle do big doesn't know)

message 21: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Kimberly wrote: "April wrote: "Our city library system has a book sale every Thursday. Last week I went to the sale for the first time and I was AMAZED! All the books are categorized AND in alphabetical order by ..."

.50 for hardcovers and .10 for paperbacks is a STEAL!

message 22: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Snoozie Suzie wrote: "@ Rusalka. How can you say I may have bought. Are you trying to kid yourself and us that you have?!? You don't need to deny to us - just mister Rusalka (I hide mine in the cupboard or just download..."

I do the same thing! The "mister" does not need to know the extent of my habit!

message 23: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17050 comments Luckily my Mister has the same habit as me. I always feel slightly guilty for buying books online at midnight (usually as they are 30% off or such). But then a parcel turns up a couple of days later, and I get all excited and it turns out it's for him as he has done exactly the same thing. Hehe.

But Suzie and April, I will embrace that we don't need to hide our purchases on here to each other.

I wouldn't feel so guilty if we had booksales like you guys have been talking about. My magical secondhand bookshop still sells books at an average of $7 a paperback. Mind you, books are so incredibly expensive in Aus. New release paperbacks from new bookshops cost on average $30ea.

message 24: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) | 453 comments Rusalka wrote: "Oo Shannon, let me know what you think you of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I've been umming and ahhing about getting it."

Will do. I was going to start it next but misplaced it so have started the witch one.

message 25: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) | 453 comments April wrote: "Shannon wrote: "Just bought A Discovery of Witches and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I have no idea what to expect from either but picked them up at my son's school book fair where I..."

I've started A Discovery of Witches so will link you to my review when I am done. The weather is so fantastic this weekend that it will take me a few days longer than normal. :)

message 26: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments April wrote: "Almeta wrote: "Amber wrote: "Just downloaded Infinite JestInfinite Jest  by David Foster Wallace for my Books Stephen King Recommends group. It'll be my first experience with this author."

My first as..."

If you downloaded it, it must be an ebook and not a physical book? If so, you won't be able to use it for blue. Sorry. I've downloaded the sample. I'm a little nervous about the size of it... but then 3 months should get it done, right?

message 27: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Rusalka wrote: "Luckily my Mister has the same habit as me. I always feel slightly guilty for buying books online at midnight (usually as they are 30% off or such). But then a parcel turns up a couple of days late..."

I can't believe how expensive your books are!!! That is crazy!!!

message 28: by Amber (new)

Amber Janice wrote: "April wrote: "Almeta wrote: "Amber wrote: "Just downloaded Infinite JestInfinite Jest  by David Foster Wallace for my Books Stephen King Recommends group. It'll be my first experience with this author...."

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the number of pages also, and the fact that we are reading it during the holiday season. I think the extra month with definitely be necessary for this one!

message 29: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Rusalka wrote: "Luckily my Mister has the same habit as me. I always feel slightly guilty for buying books online at midnight (usually as they are 30% off or such). But then a parcel turns up a couple of days late..."

Oh Rusalka, I know exactly what you mean about Australian prices. I went home two years ago and couldn't believe that I spent nearly $100 for just a handful of books. Have you tried http://www.fishpond.com.au/ ?

message 30: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments I came to work an hour ago, and I haven't worked. Instead, I've been reviewing my to-read and to-listen-to shelves to make sure I don't have some tucked away that could be used for my various challenges.

Then, I needed to use a credit on Audible so that I would have The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks ready for our October buddy read. While there, I used 2 other credits and got Doc and 14.

That got me thinking about my personal "new releases" challenge. I ended up getting The Rent Collector on Kindle.

I must get to work. But first, I want to check out....

message 31: by Amber (new)

Amber Janice wrote: "I came to work an hour ago, and I haven't worked. Instead, I've been reviewing my to-read and to-listen-to shelves to make sure I don't have some tucked away that could be used for my various chal..."

Sounds like your day has been quite productive! Perhaps not productive in the way your boss is hoping you'll be, but productive none the less.

message 32: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17050 comments Kat wrote: "Oh Rusalka, I know exactly what you mean about Australian prices. I went home two years ago and couldn't believe that I spent nearly $100 for just a handful of books. Have you tried http://www.fishpond.com.au/ ? "

It's absolutely insane April. It's to do with restrictions on parallel importation of books. All over the net if interested. They tried to overturn it a few years back.

I have tried fishpond, usually for CDs and books that aren't on http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ (although them being bought out by Amazon crushed me a little). I find that my purchases from fishpond turn up about 4 weeks later, if at all. But they are good at providing replacements when the first one doesn't turn up. I don't quite understand how books from the UK can get to my house in half/a third of the time than within Aus.

message 33: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments Amber wrote: "Sounds like your day has been quite productive! Perhaps not productive in the way your boss is hoping you'll be, but productive none the less."

My boss can be a real snark too. Some days I love her to death. And other days, I'd like to kick her in the butt.

I'm allowed to talk about my boss that way, since I'm self employed. Hehehe!

message 34: by Ava Catherine (last edited Sep 22, 2012 09:49PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I have just bought The Light Between Oceans The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman M.L. Stedman. It is such a beautiful book with lovely end pages and a map of Australia. I love books with maps! I have only read the first chapter, but so far I am in love with my new purchase!

I have also bought The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach Deborah Moggach, but I have no idea what to expect.

message 35: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments Janice wrote: "Amber wrote: "Sounds like your day has been quite productive! Perhaps not productive in the way your boss is hoping you'll be, but productive none the less."

My boss can be a real snark too. Some..."

LOL, Janice! :D

message 36: by Amber (new)

Amber Janice wrote: "Amber wrote: "Sounds like your day has been quite productive! Perhaps not productive in the way your boss is hoping you'll be, but productive none the less."

My boss can be a real snark too. Some..."

Then I'm sure she understands that some days GR has priority over actual work.

message 37: by Dem (new)

Dem | 943 comments Connie wrote: "I have just bought The Light Between OceansThe Light Between Oceans by M.L. StedmanM.L. Stedman. It is such a beautiful book with lovely end pages and a map of Australia. I love books with ma..."

I really enjoyed The Light Between Oceans and agree with you about your love of books with maps. I read The Sandcastle Girls recently and was so disappointed that the author did not include a map.

message 38: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Dem, I also like books to have maps. The maps should have every city that is mentioned in the book. With audiobooks you have to get out your atlas. When I listenend to Sandcastle Girls I was rather lucky because I knew where these cities were from previous reading.

message 39: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) You have inspired me to make a map page in excel and follow my journeys. I don't know why I have never thought of it before.

message 40: by Ava Catherine (last edited Sep 23, 2012 02:02PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I am a member of a GR group Fans of Maps that our own Cheryl moderates if any of you lovers of maps want to check it out.

Having a map in a book is just a lovely surprise! Of course, I do realize that many people don't even glance at the maps included in books; however, for visual learners a map is a very real asset.

I love to find an out of the way store that sells antique maps. My idea of treasure! And of course a used bookstore is a treasure, too! ; )

@ Shirley
What a lovely idea! I must try that, too!!!

@ Dem
I keep my college atlas (huge, thick book) in my study bookcase and refer to it often during my reading travels. It seems that through the years this one has remained my most dependable reading buddy. Like minds think alike!
BTW I am glad that you could give me a good rec for The Light Between Oceans. ; )

message 41: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) Connie wrote: "I am a member of a GR group Fans of Maps that our own Cheryl moderates if any of you lovers of maps want to check it out.

Having a map in a book is just a lovely surprise! Of course, I do realize..."

I used these to copy from

http://www.50states.com/us.htm#.UF9m_...

this has individual state outlines too.

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/co...

just added the main ones for now.

message 42: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments April wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "April wrote: "Our city library system has a book sale every Thursday. Last week I went to the sale for the first time and I was AMAZED! All the books are categorized AND in alpha..."

I know! I love my library!

message 43: by Ava Catherine (last edited Sep 23, 2012 10:15PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Shirley wrote: "Connie wrote: "I am a member of a GR group Fans of Maps that our own Cheryl moderates if any of you lovers of maps want to check it out.

Having a map in a book is just a lovely surprise! Of cours..."

Thanks, Shirley! I love both, but the world atlas is fantastic! LOVE it! I hope you can hear me singing for joy!!! lol

message 44: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments I got e-mailed Forged by Greed (The Forged Series, #1) by Angela Orlowski-Peart Girl Under Glass by Monica Enderle Pierce Swamp Monster Massacre by Hunter Shea by the authors for review!

message 45: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Connie wrote: "Shirley wrote: "Connie wrote: "I am a member of a GR group Fans of Maps that our own Cheryl moderates if any of you lovers of maps want to check it out.

Having a map in a book is just a lovely su..."

I always have an atlas handy. Thanks for the link.

message 46: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments I bought a couple of books in preparation for October 2012 Challenge - Under the Harvest Moon.

A Darkness More Than Night by Michael Connelly Heat of the Night (Dream Guardians, #2) by Sylvia Day A Night Like This (Smythe-Smith Quartet #2) by Julia Quinn Pleasures of the Night (Dream Guardians, #1) by Sylvia Day Nightmare by Robin Parrish Evernight (Evernight, #1) by Claudia Gray

message 47: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) Connie wrote: "Shirley wrote: "Connie wrote: "I am a member of a GR group Fans of Maps that our own Cheryl moderates if any of you lovers of maps want to check it out.

Having a map in a book is just a lovely su..."

I thought I heard something.

message 48: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments I popped into one of the charity shops on the village where I live on Friday and bought No 1 Ladies Detective Agency for £1.25. Bargain. I managed to refrain from any more, but I have been wanting to read this for ages, and decided to scout it out.

message 49: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments Snoozie Suzie wrote: "I popped into one of the charity shops on the village where I live on Friday and bought No 1 Ladies Detective Agency for £1.25. Bargain. I managed to refrain from any more, but I have been wanting ..."
I love that series Suzie, I hope you do too!

message 50: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments Thanks Kimberley. I hope do too.

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.