Bookaholic Anonymous discussion

General Discussions > What's Your Opinion On Movie Adoptions?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nitzan, A Certified Bookaholic (new)

Nitzan Schwarz (nitzanafterwords) | 671 comments Mod
A poplar book will often find itself adapted to the big screen. But are those adoptions good, or should they simply be banned?!

Personally, I almost always find the book version better, and I simply hate it when a movie skids of script and changed parts considerably from the book. I come to see the movie version so I could see my favorite characters come to life, not so I can watch some entirely different story (Percy Jackson and the Lighting Thief was simply a disaster!)
However, I do find some adoptions fun and entertaining.
So, I guess what I'm trying to say – it'll never be as good as the book, but it should continue and give good books more publicity! :D

What are your thoughts?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree, I don't think it'll ever be as good as the book, but the movie should be able to give the book it's based off of it some good publicity.

message 3: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 24 comments I usually like the book better than the movie, but I'm not often disappointed with the movie adaption.

I like it when the movie stays faithful to the book, but I think some changes can be good too. For instance, the movie The Hunger Games was very faithful to the book, but I was the only one in my family who liked it because I was the only one who had read the book. My family thought that it was really slow and boring at parts. It did take over an hour to get to the arena, which my family thought would be the main story line. I was fine with the slow build-up, but that's just because that's how the book was. I can understand why others who weren't familiar with the book would be turned off from the movie.

Also, Ella Enchanted is one of my favorite books and the movie adaptation was soooo different, but I loved it. It was amazing in it's own right. I've come to appreciate screenwriters and directors using their creative license to change things up when adapting a book to screen. For me, it usually turns out pretty good.

message 4: by Nitzan, A Certified Bookaholic (new)

@Kayla: For me there are two cases when it comes to changing the story. There are cases like Howl's Moving Castle that I adore the movie even though the connection to the book is perhaps only in the names of the characters.
Then there are cases like Percy Jackson, in which I felt the entire story was butchered unnecessarily. That in all due respect to the creative license, they crossed the line of good taste.
And it's not like I hate the movies. I enjoy them, but I often have a lot of complaints on what we didn't see, what wasn't explained or what was changed.

message 5: by Krystal (new)

Krystal Hammer | 13 comments I enjoy watching a movie made from a book, although the book is almost always better. I just can't watch the movie before I read the book, otherwise I will always see the character as the actor/actress that portrayed them in the movie. Sometimes they look very different! And as Kayla said, you usually know more of the story if you read the book, aka you can hear the thoughts of the characters in a book, whereas in a movie, you cannot.

message 6: by Nitzan, A Certified Bookaholic (new)

@Krystal: I never see the movie before, as well! I like having my own image of the heroes~ Especially when it seems who ever casted the characters forgot there was a story description to follow... (Percy Jackson, Twilight, Beastly...)

message 7: by ♥ Rebecca ♥ (last edited Sep 22, 2012 07:39AM) (new)

♥ Rebecca ♥ Even when an adaptation is bad, I still usually enjoy it to a certain degree, if it is a book I enjoyed. I like being able to see it come to like. Such as the Eragon (Inheritance, #1) by Christopher Paolini movie. Totally butchered the story, but I still love the movie. The only sad thing is it was so bad that the studio did not want to make the sequel and I really wish they did cuz its so amazing. But getting one movie is better than zero imo. Also, adaptations introduce books to ppl. There are so many books that I wouldnt have read if I hadnt seen and enjoyed the movie first. Adaptations promote reading. :)

Here is a list of books with adaptations I have either read or wanna read because I watched the movie/TV show first. http://www.goodreads.com/list/user_vo...

message 8: by Stephany (new)

Stephany (sinnycloud95) | 5 comments A movie adapatation is great, but I enjoy more reading a book. By the way, in movies they cut a lot some details of the book!

message 9: by Nitzan, A Certified Bookaholic (new)

@Stephany: You have to remember movies can never really fit 300 hundred pages or more into a movie of an hour and a half to three, so naturally parts will be missing. That's something I learned to accept long ago, because there is simply no way to avoid it.
The annoying thing is when they cut important parts and such, or when they ignore some parts to add things that never happened in the book.
Like Harry Potter - at a point they were like "Oh, everyone read the books. We don't have to put a lot of thought into explaining stuff, they'll fill the gap. Let's add fire and special effects instead!" and people who didn't read the books became completely lost... and those who did read the books completely aggravated (*like me*)

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I enjoy comparing the movie and book versions. I always try to read the book first, and then see the movie. In 95% of the cases, I prefer the literary version. In very rare circumstances, I will say that the film is better than the book.