Lovers of Paranormal discussion

Books to Movies

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tohrutohno (last edited Sep 20, 2012 09:10AM) (new)

Tohrutohno | 143 comments This discussion is about books being made into movies.

Are there any books/series out there that you would like to see be made into movies? If so why?

Likewise, are there any books out there that you think shouldn't be brought to Hollywood? and why?

For me, once I read a book I tend not to watch the movie. Hence, I have not seen a SINGLE Harry Potter movie or Twilight. I know! But there's something I think is lost in translation going from book to screen.

What are your thoughts?

Current books waiting to be released as movies are

Mortal Instruments: City of Bones release date Aug. 2013

Beautiful Creatures release date Feb. 2013

And not that this series is discussed here but I believe the 50 shades books are being made into movies as well.

Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd) (goldenfurproductions) Here's a list of books being made into movies: http://www.imdb.com/list/AtMNicGYOV4/

message 3: by Michele (new)

Michele Miller (chelemybelles) | 727 comments I love watching movies from books! I will say rarely are the movies even close to matching the book but I enjoy them anyway.
I have actually never read HP (sue me!) but I adore the movies..we own the books and my son has read them, some day I will too.

Can't wait for TMI movies although again, I do not think they can capture the book at all. I think the biggest problem is usally how a reader sees the characters. It means so much to that reader to spend time in their head with the person they "see" so an actor usually just doesnt fit the bill.

message 4: by Michele (new)

Michele Miller (chelemybelles) | 727 comments I should also say that if I dont read the book before the movie than I rearely will ever read the boook...so perhaps I should ask what books that are becoming movies should I be sure to read?

Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ Umm...I think THG wasn't that good...I mean, I was dissapointed for the choice of Peeta (I wanted Lucas Till!!!>:() and I'm afraid of the outcomes of Catching Fire and Mockingjay...

message 6: by Gabby (new)

Gabby | 906 comments THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS ARE BEING MADE INTO MOVIES!!!
Sooo excited!
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...

message 7: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (mrsbudryzer) | 371 comments I have been known to yell at the tv when I am watching a book (that I've read) adapted to a movie. I hate it. But, I still watch them. Apparently I like to be tortured.

The most horrible ones that I've seen are:
The Twilight Series - I am a big fan of the books, but the movies. Holy crap, shoot me now. Who the heck picked these stupid actors?!?!?! Horrible. Though I have watched New Moon numerous times, it's my fav.

The Help. Wow. Major disappointment with this movie.

The Other Boleyn Girl...yikes. Movie was disappointing even though the actors were great.

I am actually wondering what books turned into movies were actually great??? One book I was thinking about reading is The Exorcist. That movie was amazing, though of course the beginning was a major snooze fest. Anyone out there read the book???

I have not read a single Harry Potter book but enjoyed the movies....though I think I've only seen 2? Maybe 3? I don't even know.

I have to check the link you posted, Jessica....I may need to add some to my TBR list!!

message 8: by Sky (new)

Sky (skyswriting) I have a feeling that The Mortal Instruments movie will be just as good as the books, if not, even better. I did enjoy the series, but I felt that many parts of the books dragged on a little more than needed and found myself drifting off getting distracted as I was reading because of it. I think The Mortal Instruments will be the first Book-To-Movie adaption that I will enjoy.
I am typically not impressed by many adaptions because it ruins the emotions and images that my mind conjured, and how I portray the characters to be. A lot of times, I do not agree with the movie adapations and I bounce back to the book to get the misery from the movies out of my head again lol.

message 9: by Gabby (new)

Gabby | 906 comments Sky wrote: "I have a feeling that The Mortal Instruments movie will be just as good as the books, if not, even better. I did enjoy the series, but I felt that many parts of the books dragged on a little more t..."

Yes. I think the movie is going to be awesome! :)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I've got say every Stephen King story made into a movie or tv series, apart from the one's Frank Darabont worked on, those could all be throw away, they're all terrible. Which is sad considering how good a lot of King's books are, would of thought some might of turned out okay but no.
I guess with the one exception of the tv serial IT. Tim Curry as that evil clown was pretty good. I agree with the Twilight business, I refuse to watch them. Actually the movies put me off even trying to read the books. Bad movie book adaptions is also the reason I won't watch the Phillip Pullman movie they did.
It seems so shallow, making a crap movie out of a popular book just because the title will sell. Any script, any director, any actor, anything will do just make it. It's sad.

Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ I've heard Angelfall will be a movie :D

message 12: by Tohrutohno (last edited Nov 18, 2012 09:44AM) (new)

Tohrutohno | 143 comments I saw on Shelly Crane's site that there may be a possible Significance movie. I really like this series but don't know that I want to see it turned into a movie. Hollywood ruins everything it touches.

message 13: by Yazmin (new)

Yazmin (afangirlstory) | 5 comments I can't wait for the mortal instruments movie in 2013, the trailer looks awesome!

message 14: by Donna (new)

Donna Galanti (donnagalanti) | 4 comments Robert wrote: "I've got say every Stephen King story made into a movie or tv series, apart from the one's Frank Darabont worked on, those could all be throw away, they're all terrible. Which is sad considering ho..."

I agree many of King's tales to movies were bad except for an exceptional few: Stand by Me (The Body) and Shawshank Redemption. I even liked The Running Man and The Dead Zone, Christopher Walken and Martin Sheen are always good.

message 15: by Aleyn (new)

Aleyn Lucier (youngatheart82) I read somewhere that the Fever Series by Karen Moning might be made into a movie...can't wait to see that one.

Also excited for the Mortal Instruments and Angelfall by Susan Ee

Jennifer Armentrout's series might be good for movies..would want to watch those ones

message 16: by Jess (new)

Jess | 2 comments Can't wait for Beautiful Creatures, The Mortal Instruments and Hush, Hush :)

message 17: by Allan (new)

Allan Krummenacker (allankrummenacker) | 35 comments Robert wrote: "I've got say every Stephen King story made into a movie or tv series, apart from the one's Frank Darabont worked on, those could all be throw away, they're all terrible. Which is sad considering ho..."

Agreed, Tim Curry made a magnificent Pennywise the Dancing Clown. Truly terrifying.

message 18: by Allan (new)

Allan Krummenacker (allankrummenacker) | 35 comments The only movies made from books that I thought were pretty close to the source were ones where the author had a lot of input in the screenplay. Richard Matheson's "Hell House" was very close to his original and he wrote the screenplay for the film.

Also, when Stephen King re-did "The Shining" as a several part TV movie, it was spot on to the book. It may not have been as "shocking" as the Jack Nicholson version, but it was way closer to the actual book and I enjoyed in tremendously. The use of the Topiary Animals looked great.

message 19: by Cristina (new)

Cristina (mrsbudryzer) | 371 comments So Beautiful Creatures is out!!! Has anyone seen it yet??? Who has read the book??

I have not, it's on my To Read shelf...waiting...

Please share your thoughts, it looks really good :)

message 20: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Sanchez | 13 comments My favorite books to movie are Harry Potter, Twilight, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn Part 1 & 2 and The Hunger Games.

What really ticks me off are the so-called fans who have the audacity to bash the authors or question their honesty like Cassandra Clare for her approval of Jamie Campell Bower in the role of Jace Wayland.

I know we have our own versions of the character in our heads we all can learn to agree to disagree but to claim Miss Clare was paid by Sony to say that is insulting. I cannot wait for this movie.

I'll wait for Warm Bodies and Beautiful Creatures on DVD, I have no money for the cinemas right now.

message 21: by Jill (new)

Jill (adecentmelody) Allan wrote: "The only movies made from books that I thought were pretty close to the source were ones where the author had a lot of input in the screenplay."

This may often be the case, but I think Twilight is a good example of how having the author involved doesn't always translate into a great movie adaptation.

Robert wrote: "Bad movie book adaptions is also the reason I won't watch the Phillip Pullman movie they did."

Yeah, don't go see it. It was very disappointing. The casting was great, but everything else was awful. There's a reason they didn't make the other two. It was really a shame because those books told an awesome story.

Whenever I go see a movie where I've read the book first, I am prepared for parts to be different or missing. The medium of film is so different than books that as long as the creator can honor the feel and essence of a story, I am usually okay with them taking it and interpreting it with film in a new way. But part of the art of film is a good screenplay. I hate how some movies simply think that as long as they get the special effects right, they've adapted the book.

The problem I have when seeing movies I've read first is that I tend to lean over to whoever is sitting next to me and say "that's not how it happened in the book." I recently saw Austenland by Shannon Hale at Sundance and kept doing that to my sister. It's an annoying habit that I need to get under control. :P

I rarely see a movie done better than a book, but I will say Fellowship of the Ring was really hard to read after seeing the movie. Maybe if I read it first I would like the book better, but after seeing the first movie, reading the trilogy, then seeing the remaining two movies, I have to say that the edits Jackson made from Fellowship were improvements. But I liked the books Two Towers and Return of the King better than the movies, so maybe it was just a matter of which I saw/read first. Any thoughts on that?

message 22: by Lanell (new)

Lanell Horton (hortonsgirl4life) | 50 comments Beautiful Creatures was such a disappointment! I am still holding out hope for Mortal Instruments though.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) "The Banned and the Banished" series by James Clemens should be made into a movie. They are all amazingly good, and I think the films would be epic.