Bookaholic Anonymous discussion

General Discussions > What Are Your Feelings On Cliffhangers?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nitzan, A Certified Bookaholic (new)

Nitzan Schwarz (nitzanafterwords) | 671 comments Mod
I both hate and love them! I mean, they make you so desperate to read the next book, which is great, but they MAKE YOU SO DESPERATE TO READ THE NEXT BOOK! I mean, they just leave us to gape at the last words and go all "holly shit! This cannot be where this book ends!"
On the other hand, they are just so good!

What do you think?

message 2: by Ishita (new)

Ishita (weirdtalkingdragon) | 50 comments I love them! But again, as you said, they get IRRITATING! I read this book, The Immortals of Meluha. The author actually ended the book in the middle of a fight scene. Where the female protagonist was apparently going to be killed. Seriously?! Thankfully I already had the second part. But the same thing happened there too. I have to wait till December for the third installment! Bhaaak.

message 3: by Nitzan, A Certified Bookaholic (new)

OMG! That's so cruel of the author!!!
Brutal, really. It's the most horrible thing when books who still don't have the next in the series published end in a major cliffhanger!

message 4: by Ishita (new)

Ishita (weirdtalkingdragon) | 50 comments Yep. Middle of the scene - to be continued. Seriously. NO.
But we can look at it this way - anticipation is a beautiful feeling ;)

message 5: by Nitzan, A Certified Bookaholic (new)

That's why I say it's so good (and it makes sure we'll buy the next book).
Still, it's cruel.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a love/hate relationship with cliffhangers. xD

message 7: by Nitzan, A Certified Bookaholic (new)

@Maeve: LOL!!! That sounds awful! I don't think I could stand to wait five years!!

@Claire: Yeah, Love/Hate relationship is the best way to describe it!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks. :)

message 9: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 65 comments I get mad because i want to know what happens in the book that i'm reading

message 10: by Katie (last edited Sep 21, 2012 04:55AM) (new)

Katie (kayteaface) I'm alright with cliffhangers if I have the next book in a series and can pick it up straight away to find out what happens next! However, if that's not the case and I have to wait, cliffhangers irritate me xD I've been dying to know what happens in the A Song of Ice and Fire series since George R. R. Martin left a certain character's chapter in A Dance With Dragons on a cliffhanger and we don't even know when the next book is going to be published. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NOW! D:

message 11: by Ishita (new)

Ishita (weirdtalkingdragon) | 50 comments Katie wrote: "I'm alright with cliffhangers if I have the next book in a series and can pick it up straight away to find out what happens next! However, if that's not the case and I have to wait, cliffhangers ir..."

Don't know when?! You must be dying! I think I'll start reading the series when all the books are out. I don't think I can handle another cliffhanger.

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie (kayteaface) According to Goodreads it's expected~ in 2015 but ajfkghkdjf. Cannot cope.

message 13: by Nitzan, A Certified Bookaholic (new)

I used to NEVER read a series before all parts were out, because I couldn't stand the wait. But then I picked Percy Jackson and learned there's a new series with the characters; so how can I not read it?
Since then I've slowly learned how to wait for books--cliffhangers or otherwise--and it usually has to do with pretending you aren't waiting for anything. Does this make any sense?
Though I'm pretty sure I'll hold back with Song of Ice and Fire because this is a major series...

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I do not mind cliffhangers when the book is a part of a series, but if it's a standalone, I hate them. Having one at the end of a chapter is excellent, but the end of a book? No way! :)