Science Fiction Aficionados discussion

Stories of Your Life and Others
This topic is about Stories of Your Life and Others
Stories of Your Life and Others > Liking What You See-A Documentary

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maggie K | 1282 comments Mod
This documentary styled story shows some in depth thinking about human nature and the tendency to go with our senses without thinking, and how fair or important this really is.

I have read that t his story got nominated for a Hugo, but Chiang declined, saying the story had been rushed and wasnt what he had hoped for. I still found it very thought provoking.

http://www.ibooksonline.com/88/Text/l...

message 2: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim I was pretty impressed with this too. At first, I was expecting this to become a sort of Harrison Bergeron update. But in many ways it turned into the exact opposite, and I think managed to make a pretty good argument for both sides of the question here.

Suzanne | 69 comments I wondered what choice I would make. You are right - both sides had excellent arguments.

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 260 comments This was a good story. In addition to the fine debate of the issue of "going with our senses," and the inherent biases that demonstrates, I liked the debate about manipulation by advertisers. I sensed the author had an opinion on this!

Will (wlinden) | 13 comments I was very interested in the concepts. I seem to have "automobilagnosia".... I can't tell cars apart.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) I liked this one and thought Chiang did a great job presenting both sides of the argument. It didn't have the same emotional impact as some of his other stories however.