Nordic Noir discussion

Author of the Month > An important change to AUTHOR OF THE MONTH!

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments Dee and I had a chit-chat the other day. We decided since NN books are still slow for translation, we will change the number of books the author must have translated to 2 BOOKS! We feel this will help more members nominate authors for AUTHOR OF THE MONTH and expose us to more members.

The other change that we are implementing is that if the author has a release pending. The month that the novel is set to be released, that author, unless already featured in AUTHOR OF THE MONTH will be the author for the month of the novel's release. For example, Sara Blaedel has an upcoming release, Farewell to Freedom,in December, 2012. She will be our December, 2012 author.

Any questions or if you are an author with an upcoming release, please let Dee or I know!

message 2: by Anna, the Enabler (new)

Anna (aetm) | 192 comments Sounds good! :)

Oh, by the way - for anyone who's reaaaally getting frustrated at the slowness of translation. Here are some language courses for you:

These are by Foreign Service Institute, and they were used by the US state staff that was positioned abroad. So pretty efficient courses, now available for free for private use, with both text and audio.
The material is a bit older, but it's not like the language would have changed that much in 20-30 years. (Hint: I'm pretty sure Facebook is Facebook in Swedish...) Besides pdf and mp3 are a pretty comfortable format if you ask me!

Swedish
http://fsi-language-courses.org/Conte...

Norwegian

Finnish
(and plenty of other languages on the side bar)

message 3: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments cool Anna!!

message 4: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments so far, this is what Naomi and i have figured out

October - Lene Kaaberbøl - book 2 in the Nina Borg series due out
December - Sara Blaedel
March - Quentin Bates (maybe...)

so if you guys know of upcoming new releases (yes, Diane, I'm looking at you!!!)

let us know

message 5: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments Dee wrote: "so far, this is what Naomi and i have figured out

October - Lene Kaaberbøl - book 2 in the Nina Borg series due out
December - Sara Blaedel
March - Quentin Bates (maybe...)

so if you guys know of..."

Yes, Diane!!

message 6: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ I just listed one in the what have you heard thread. Will check and see if anything else is coming out.

message 7: by Quentin (new)

Quentin (graskeggur) March - Quentin Bates (maybe...)

so if you guys know of..."

April in the UK, or so I'm told. Delivered the manuscript of Chilled to the Bone a few days ago. No idea yet if Soho in the US will publish it as well, but fingers crossed.

message 8: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments we weren't sure Q - so we figured we'd slot you in ;) but we can flex on March to April if needed (and i'm sure several of us order books from 'zon UK since USA like dragging their feet on releasing stuff)

message 9: by Quentin (new)

Quentin (graskeggur) 4th April is publication the date, according to Amazon UK. The Kindle version is listed there already for pre-order and it has a ranking, so someone has already ordered it, six months before publication. I'm amazed.
If I knew who it was, I'd buy him/her a drink.
The cover looks very smart. There's a scan of it at: http://graskeggur.com/blog/102/chille...

message 10: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments Quentin wrote: "4th April is publication the date, according to Amazon UK. The Kindle version is listed there already for pre-order and it has a ranking, so someone has already ordered it, six months before public..."

Rolling on the floor laughing!!

message 11: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) Me, too! Quentin, it looks great! I agree about the cover as well. I'll be checking your books out.

message 12: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments That cover does look awesome...

BTW Q, it was me who preordered the book...where's my drink?!?! lol

message 13: by Quentin (new)

Quentin (graskeggur) There's a pint of brown-and-mild waiting for you in the Red Lion. Or would you prefer a shot of Gammel Dansk to keep things on a properly Scandinavian level?

message 14: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments Oh! I have to go to it!!! WTH???? lol

message 15: by Quentin (new)

Quentin (graskeggur) That's a problem...? Not to worry, if our paths ever cross, then the Gammel Dansk is on me.