English 10, Period 1 discussion

Summer Reading Entry

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lenna (new)

Lenna Difabio (MrsDiFabio) | 2 comments Mod
The protagonist and/or the antagonist of a story is the actor with presence who can carry a blockbuster film. Without that one person, the plot remains raveled, unstrung. Authors obviously build characterization through physical descriptions while they subtly build characterization through important observations other characters make about them. Dynamic characters begin to breathe on paper, and they often reflect upon their own behavior and /or style.
YOUR TASK: In a paragraph or two, describe a character. Be sure to discuss the following points: (1) physical description, (2) important observations other characters make about them, (3) something important your character has observed about him/herself, and (4) an interesting or relevant behavior of your character. Identify these character traits while relying on properly cited specific, supporting details from your chosen text

message 2: by Lenna (new)

Lenna Difabio (MrsDiFabio) | 2 comments Mod
EXAMPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Junior, the protagonist in Sherman Alexie’s novel, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, is Native American boy who grows up on the Spokane Indian reservation and boldly decides to transfer from the reservation school to the all-white school, Reardan. Junior, whose white name is Arnold, is an awkward looking fourteen-year-old boy with big hands and feet and a pencil body who often gets beaten up due his stutter and lisp (Alexie 3-4). As a result of his gawkiness, the other kids on the “rez” often call him a retard, so he often takes shelter in his cartooning which he shares with his best friend “Rowdy.” Rowdy loves Junior’s cartooning, despite the fact that Rowdy loathes it when Junior draws him, and he never allows Junior to finish the cartoon (23). Nevertheless, Junior cherishes his best friend, regardless; he shows his inner strength and determination to live a better life in the future.
Courageously, Junior leaves the stifling “rez” high school and transfers to Reardon, which instantly turns Rowdy against him. The two boys, no longer friends, face off at the high school basketball game. Junior, passionate and sensitive, was a nervous wreck, and admitted, “I was still mad and crying when the game started” (145). Unfortunately, Junior was hurt twice; the second time Rowdy knocked Junior unconscious with his elbow. Later, in the hospital, Junior’s coach tells him, “The quality of a man’s life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence, regardless of his chosen field of endeavor” (148). Coach admits he never met anybody with more heart than Junior.

message 3: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 1 comments In the novel The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold there are many elements of characterization. Susie Salmon is a fourteen year old seventy’s girl who was murdered on December 6, 1973. Susie was your average teenager; she had mousy brown hair, enjoyed chess club, chemistry club, photography and biology (Sebold 5). Throughout the story other characters describe the protagonist in many different ways. For example Susie’s father says that she has a lot of spunk: “Spunk!” my father would say. “Let me tell you about spunk,” and he would launch immediately into his Susie-peed-on-Lindsey story (Sebold 7). Also Susie describes her friends Ray as dark, nice, and smart (Sebold 13). She feels this way because he would send her love notes and write poetry for her. As Susie made progress in heaven I think it made her realize that she can’t go back to her life on Earth. In the beginning of the book she thinks if she puts her mind to it she can change the lives of the people she loved on Earth but as her journey through heaven goes on she knows she has to move on (Sebold 16). I believe that an interesting behavior is Susie’s wonderful imagination. Whenever she would describe all these imaginative things that went on in Susie’s heaven it would bring me back to my childhood thoughts. Also, Susie loved photography, "I had rescued the moment by using my camera and in that way had found a way to stop time and hold it. No one could take that image away from me because I owned it."(Sebold 212).

message 4: by Patrice (new)

Patrice O'Donnell | 1 comments The Hot Zone: A Terrifying True Story, by Richard Preston, tells the haunting story about deadly filo viruses emerging and spreading throughout the world. One of the deadly diseases discussed in the novel is Marburg. This filo virus is described to look like strands of tangled rope, hair, or spaghetti. Marburg also curls into loops, looking like Cheerios. The virus is the only virus to be in the shape of a ring (Preston 195). When victims come down with Marburg, they go through a process of bleeding out. This consists of blood pouring out of almost and hole from the body. A nurse who witnessed someone bleeding recalled, “The floor, chair, and walls…were stained with blood… no one in the hospital could bear to go into the room to clean it up” (109).
Charles Monet, one of the first recorded victims to come down with Marburg, showed symptoms of the virus while on a plane. The disease turned his eyes red and made his face look like a giant mass of bruises with dissolving tissue in his face. While on the plane, Monet was throwing up black vomit, which consists of black liquid and blood. During the time that all of this was happening, Monet also had a nosebleed that was not able to clot (17-20). What’s remarkable about Marburg is that this “highly infectious, deadly virus from the central African rain forest suddenly appears in the suburbs of Washington D.C. There is no cure” (back cover).

message 5: by Makeely (new)

Makeely | 1 comments In the book, Lenobia's Vow, Martin is a man who plays a bog role. Sister Marie Madeleine introduces him to the other women as a crew member on the ship. Martin is a plainly dressed, young mulatto man (Cast 38). He has broad shoulders and a sparkle in his olive green eyes (Cast 58). Lenobia thinks he is a man with a good heart and she is very correct. Before dawn every morning, Lenobia sneaks down to the lower decks to see the big Percheron horses. She loves horses and swears she only goes to see them and only them. As she goes to see the horses, she runs into Martin, who happens to feed and groom the horses at that same time. What happens by accident soon becomes a ritual and the relationship between the two is stronger. Martin makes Lenobia laugh and he tells her stories about his home while they feed and groom the horses every morning. Since Lenobia has not been eating much, Martin says "You getting skinny, you." and "You all bone." He starts bringing her breakfast (Cast 62). Martin only calls Lenobia "you" or "cherie" even though he knows her name (Cast 61). He does this because he knows that when he does call her by her name, then they both know that he cares for her. The days he calls her by her name marks a turning point in the book. Since Martin and Lenobia have an obvious love for each other, Lenobia finally tells Martin how she feels. Not expecting Martin to push her away, he does. Martin knows that a mulatto man and white woman could never be together. He loves her but he pushes her away because he knows that he cannot live happy without being with her. She promises him that they can be together in a far away place where nobody would know, but that is only a dream that cannot be reached, and they both know it. That only breaks both of their hearts even more.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Resner | 1 comments Susie Salmon, the protagonist in Alice Sebold’s novel, The Lovely Bones, is an American 70’s girl who like photography and science who grows up in a small town in Pennsylvania. Susie gets murdered by George Harvey a serial killer who kills mostly young girls this makes a twist on the story. Susie is like every other missing girl in newspapers, 14, has mousy brown hair and pale white skin (Sebold 5). As a result of her death, her family spirals down into a black hole. Her mother can’t even look, talk or even sleep with her father (113). Her father (Jack) just wants to figure out who killed his daughter (101). Bucky (Susie’s brother) doesn’t even really understand everything that’s going on (58). And Lindsey (Susie’s sister) who just sits in the side lines keeping her emotions to herself (27) While Susie is watching her family grow into despair.
In the course of the book, her family changes and they change her. Jack and Lindsey found out who killed Susie. Lindsey moved on and got married and had a child. Susie thought the book felt jelous of Lindsey because she would never be able to do that. Her mother grew back into herself slowly. Slowly Susie learned that even after you’re gone, people still care about you. Also she learned that one life can change everyone’s life around them. “as I watched my family sip champagne, I thought about how their lives trailed back then forward from my death and then…These were the lovely bones that grown around my absence: the connection-sometimes tenuous, sometimes made at a great cost, but often magnificent-what happened after I was gone”(248).

message 7: by DeJea (last edited Sep 24, 2012 06:55PM) (new)

DeJea Shelton | 1 comments Hollis, the protagonist in The Pictures of Hollis Woods, the opraph girl that gets transfored to different foster homes because she runs away and none of her foster families knew that she runs away until this one foster familynamed the Regans. (32) When she ran away the Regans noticed that she used to always run away from all her foster families.(12)Hollis was sent to this new foster home and meet this girl named Josie. (27) Hollis and Josie got along. Hollis feels like her and Josie are gonna be separated.(56) Hollis, Josie's foster sister has a bad memory. (15) The Regans told Hollis about this branch house in the woods , so when Hollis and Josie ecapse's from home , Hollis is going to the branch house. (112)My physical description on Hollis is that she's creative and suffering.

message 8: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 1 comments In Mary Higgins Clark’s novel, The Cradle Will Fall, the protagonist, Katie DeMaio, is a young widow who works for the Prosecutor’s office (Clark 27). One of her co-workers, Richard Carroll, said, “She was a throwback to the days when the Spanish invaded Ireland and left a legacy of descendants with olive skin and dark hair to contrast with the intense blue of Celtic eyes” (30). Richard Carroll grows strong feelings for her, but, she fights with her feelings. She feels conflicted with her old and new love life (301). “She always had more cases than she could reasonably handle. … That anger which had accompanied the grief, the sense of being cheated, the fury that John had been cheated out of so much of life, she directed into the cases she tried” (27). Katie DeMaio often worked every day; for her it was therapy. Although filled with grief and work, she still came off as young, sensible girl. “Miss Rawling’s Sister … was in court to hear the verdict and afterward come up to Katie. ‘You were wonderful, Mrs. Demaio,’ she’d said. ‘You look like a young college girl. I never would have thought you could, but when you talked, you proved every point; you made them feel what he did to Abby” (6). Additionally, there was more to Katie DeMaio then just her love life and work. She is like any other human being; she has her only little quirks. “It’s just…’ She bit her lip. She was coming back into focus and managed to stop herself before she blurted out that terrible, unreasoning, childish fear of hospitals”(8). While in treatment for her hemorrhaging, she was terrified out of her mind. She lost both her husband and father in a hospital. In the end, Katie DeMaio falls in love with Richard Carroll and finds a balance between work and love. She develops as a character in this fictional story.

message 9: by Peter (new)

Peter Fennell (RickMoranis) | 1 comments Peter Fennell
English 10 period 1
9/21/12

“Catch Me if you can” is an auto-biography by Frank W. Abagnale Jr. and was co-written with Stan Redding. “Catch Me if you can” is a very exciting story about a teenager who becomes and international check forager and conman. He stood over six feet tall with brown hair and brown eyes he easily passed for someone much older than he actually was (one of the things that helped him become. Frank W. Abagnale Jr. was born into a wealthy republican family in New York but his family fell onto hard times when he was a teenager and he parents became divorced soon after. He ran away from home and posed as a Pan Am pilot so he could pass faulty Pan Am payroll checks and to get free rides on planes all over the country. In addition to being a faulty Pan Am pilot he also taught sociology at the University of Utah using a fake degree, he was a fake Pediatrician and a supervising physician at a hospital.
Based on what I just told you, you would probably think he is a soulless con artist but in reality he is a kind person. There were few occasions where he actually conned a person, and when he did con a person it was someone who deserved to be conned (with the exception of his dad). At one point he tried to settle down with a woman and stop writing false checks, but she tried to turn him in. The book ends on a cliff hanger but I did a little research and found out that Frank did serve jail time but worked with the FBI to catch check frauds and actually changed the way the world dealt fraudulent checks. He even designed fraud proof checks the fortune 500 companies still use today.

message 10: by Adam (new)

Adam Kemper | 1 comments Will Halloway is the protagonist in the novel Something Wicked This Way Comes, by Ray Bradbury. He is thirteen going on fourteen with a thin, lanky frame and hair so blonde that it’s almost white (Bradbury 12). He lives in a very small and isolated town, in the house right next to his best friend Jim Nightshade. Jim, who in many ways is the opposite of Will, notices that he is incredibly innocent, trusting, and obedient. Their friendship has a very interesting dynamic because the two characters are so different. Will’s own father, who worked in the library just outside Will’s house, thought to himself-
So there they go, Jim running slower to stay with Will, Will running faster to stay with Jim, Jim breaking two windows in a haunted house because Will's along, Will breaking one window instead of none, because Jim's watching. God, how we get our fingers in each other's clay. That's friendship, each playing the potter to see what shape we can make of the other (27).
Will is in spirit very humble and doesn’t think much of himself, which is why many characters in the book think he is such a good person. He almost always is thinking of others before himself- for instance, towards the beginning of the book, when the lightning rod salesman gives one lightning to share between Jim and Will, Will knows right away that he had to put it on Jim’s roof (and made him keep it there even when Jim didn’t want it, just to be safe) (23). An interesting behavior of his is that, despite regularly trying to avoid conflict, almost to the point of cowardice, when he has to be he is very good in a fight. For example, when the witch comes after him with her balloon, Will is able to stay calm and get close enough to her that he is able to puncture the balloon and get away (174).

message 11: by Matt (new)

Matt Lewis | 1 comments Matt lewis
Mrs. Difabio
English 10
9/21/12

In the book fallen angels by Walter dean Meyers is a book about a 17 year old man who just gradated high school. Richie’s mother cant afford collage, so Richie joins the army because he is lost and confessed. He is a bright and sensitive man who just wants to build his life. Richie wants to get money to go to collage, become a author and give his bother the he never had. “My plans, maybe just my dreams really, had been to go to collage, and to write all the other guys in the neighborhood thought I was going to college. I wasn’t, and the army was the place I was going to get away from all the questions.”(Meyers 15) this quote means he wanted to go too collage and write, and all the others kids thought he was going to collage but he went to the army to get away from all the questions. He wants to go to the army because he thought that all the other kids will be disappointed in him if he doesn’t fulfill his dreams. Some people that are protagonists to Richie is peewee another solider who got shipped off with Richie. Richie learns that peewee is seems arrogant, flippant and even a little insane. During the war he learns that deeply caring, kind loyal and tender. He knows that because he learns that peewee must fight for his county bravely and calmly, and saves a soldier in the war., and Richie learns that peewee can be trusted.
In the book fallen angels Richie learns about himself is when he returns home, his life is still bad, but in the end he learned manhood and emotional maturity. “I knew Mama loved me, but I also knew when I got back, she would expect me to be the same person, but it could never happen. She hadn’t been to Nam. She hadn’t given her poncho to anybody to wrap a body in, or stepped over a dying kid.”(Meyers) I picked this quote because his mom thinks he’s coming home the same, but he learned manhood and became stronger to take on his hard life. Richie during the book Richie is the teammate that everyone can talk to because he is a sensitive and bright and all the soldiers come to him to talk to.

message 12: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Singleton | 1 comments Susie Salmon is the protagonist of The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Susie is a fourteen year old girl, brown hair, pale white skin, liked chess club, chemistry club, photography, and biology. She got raped, murdered, and dismembered by her neighbor, Mr. Harvey on December 6, 1973 (Sebold 5). Susie’s father always said that Susie has a lot of spunk (Sebold 7).
When Susie makes her journey to heaven she realizes that she can’t go back to Earth, and that she has to leave her family. Not long after she got to heaven she would think that if she put her mind to it she could change the lives of her family members and friends that are still alive, but she realizes that she can not so she has to move on (Sebold 16). Susie had an amazing imagination. When she used her imagination to describe her heaven it was like I was a child again, because when I was a child I had a really good imagination just like hers. She had such a love for photography, also like me. She said “I had rescued the moment by using my camera and in that way had found a way to stop time and hold it"(Sebold 212). Which is how I fell when I take a picture of something.

message 13: by Elvia (new)

Elvia | 1 comments Susie Salmon, the protagonist of the Alice Sebold’s novel, The Lovely Bones, is your basic seventies American “ white girl with mousy brown hair” however, she was murdered when she was fourteen by George Harvey (Sebold 5). She was innocence and respectful which lead her to her death because Mr. Harvey took advantage of her. Susie’s family especially, Jack and Abigail, her father and mother did not want it to be true and still had hope that she was alive. When they found her elbow, her family was shocked and was losing hope bit by bit especially her sister Lindsey. Her brother, Buckley, told his friend Nate that he saw Susie. “ Had my brother really seen me somehow, or was he merely a little boy telling beautiful lies?”(95). This shows that Susie wants her family to know that she is watching over them. Susie is watching plus observing everything about the past and present.
Susie loved her camera when she was alive so much. She liked taking pictures of nature and life itself. She felt a picture could tell a million of things. For example, she took a photo of her mother and to her it describe many things. “ I had rescued the moment by using my camera and in that way had found a way to stop time and hold it. No one could take that image away from me because I owned it”(212). By using her camera and taking pictures, it become a way for her to freeze time and keep the moment. It also shows that photos were important to her. Susie realized that with her and without her many things have occurred through everyone’s life.

message 14: by Brian (new)

Brian Calcutti | 1 comments “Fallen Angels” by Walter Dean Myers is a historical book about a black 17 year old named Richie Perry who just graduated from Harlem high school. His father left him when he was young and his mother, who is an alcoholic, cannot afford to send his son to college to get an education. “My plans, maybe just my dreams really, had been to go to college and to write. . . . All the other guys in the neighborhood thought I was going to college. I wasn’t, and the army was the place I was going to get away from all the questions.”(Myers, 15). So he decides to go to the military, when he goes into the military he gets sent off to Vietnam. But Richie did not go alone, his younger brother Kenny who looks up to Richie as a father figure, also goes with him. When Richie is in Vietnam he sees terrible things that no one should, while this is all going on he tries to rebuild his relationship with his mother with letters. “I knew Mama loved me, but I also knew when I got back, she would expect me to be the same person, but it could never happen. She hadn’t been to Nam. She hadn’t given her poncho to anybody to wrap a body in, or stepped over a dying kid.” (Myers). While Richie is fighting through the 7 layers of hell he meets his new best friend Harold “Peewee” Gates. But while they are fighting side by side Harold showing his true emotions to peek through the disaster. As all of these things are Happening Richie does not even know that he starts to become a brave, strong young man. Thought out the book Richie Perry’s behavior was that of a Heroic guy who stood out from the pack, Out of all the people in the book I thought the war changed Richie the most.

message 15: by Chris (new)

Chris S. | 2 comments

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael Dipietro | 1 comments Mike DiPietro
Mrs. DiFabio
English 10
September 25, 2012

Throughout the realistic fiction, fantasy, and supernatural thriller novel, The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold, there are several various elements of characterization which identify the protagonist in the story, Susie Salmon. Susie, the protagonist, is described as a young, white, thin, fourteen year old female with long, flowing, mousy brown hair (Sebold 5). She grew up in a happy family of five people consisting of her mother, Abigail, her father, Jack, her younger brother, Buckley, and her equally as old sister, Lindsey until she was murdered furthermore into the book by her next-door neighbor, George Harvey. Susie truly enjoyed the art of photography in her presence on Earth and was passionate in becoming a wildlife photographer later on in life (47). However, it is an utter shame that she will never pursue her dream due to her being brutally murdered. This is extremely important because it indicates the reality that since Susie is no longer on Earth and has proceeded to heaven, readers will never know how the remainder of her life would have continued if she were still alive. This also explains the fact that Mr. Harvey basically stripped Susie of her life, and she therefore lives in heaven forever as a young teenager.

Within Susie’s short existence on Earth, two of her friends/acquaintances dominated a great portion of her life on Earth as well. These characters in the story such as Ray Singh and Ruth Connors were, according to Susie, “The lovely bones that had grown around her absence” (Sebold 320). This simply infers that although Susie wasn’t a huge attachment to Ray and Ruth, the three of them had certain memorable connections which caused Susie to maintain a magnificent impact on their lives, disregarding the fact that she’s dead. This is sincerely essential because in viewing her beloved companions on Earth from her heaven, she suddenly realizes the astonishing inspiration she has on them directly after she encountered heaven, especially her family. Some of the characters in this story, including her younger brother, Buckley, visualize Susie’s image on Earth, although she is no longer there, and in reality this seems impossible (321). This is a special scenario where Buckley discovered an amazing phenomenon about his older sister which had a significant occurrence and which he will definitely never forget. In my opinion, I believe the purpose of this particular event was to ensure Buckley that Susie is safe in heaven and will always be contained in his and his family’s hearts for eternity.

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris S. | 2 comments Frank W. Abagnale is the protagonist in the novel Catch Me If You Can which is an autobiography written by Frank W Abagnale with Stan Redding. Frank has brown hair and eyes he was about 6 feet tall and always looked older compared to people his age (Abagnale 10). When Frank was a teenager his parents got divorced and decided to live with his dad and then ran away to New York. He later then became a fake pilot. Frank thought he was a good at lying and forging checks at first, he said he did it with ease ( Abagnale 170). But when he did a bigger fraud he realized that he was scared and nervous ( Abagnale 172). He forged many checks and got 2.5 million out of the checks (Abagnale 4). He faked being a lot of different people like being a college professor and a Pan Am Pilot. Frank goes to prison and escapes and at the end. We don’t know if he gets caught or if he is still free.

message 18: by Wali (new)

Wali Azizi | 1 comments Wali Azizi
Mrs. Difabio
English 10

Susie Saimon is the protagonist of The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Susie Saimon is a young, white, average height, skinny, fourteen year old girl who has brown hair. Susie was sadly killed at the age fourteen by a guy named George Harvey (Sebold 5). Susie Saimon had a family who loved her, she had a mother Abigail a father Jack, a brother named Buckley and a sister Lindsey. Buckley still sees Susie on earth even though she isn’t even alive (321). Susie loved photography and it was her dream in becoming a photographer. While she was alive she was always taking pictures (47). Sadly she wasn’t able accomplish her dream because of a murder caused by George Harvey. Susie soon realized that she had a major influence on her family and all of her loved ones (320). Susie knows that she will always have a major influence on her family and friends.

message 19: by Sammie (new)

Sammie Caputo | 1 comments In the novel the Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold,Susie Salmon, an average fourteen year old girl (Sebold 5). Susie truly had a normal life with two loving parents, a brother, sister and even a crush who liked her back, and she thought she would continue this life until she made a decision to trust a stranger then was raped and murdered. While she was in heaven she thought it was wonderful until she found herself longing to be back on Earth with her family and wanting her murderer to be brought to justice. It took Susie a while to realize that she needed to let go of what was her past life and move on to new life in heaven.An interesting way for Susie to refer to her name, or introduced herself was: “My name was Salmon, like the fish; firstname, Susie” (Sebold 1).

message 20: by Tara (new)

Tara | 1 comments The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold was an action filled tragedy about a 14 year old girl, Susie, who looses her life to an evil man, George Harvey. Susie was a normal 14 year old girl who lived in the 70s with brown hair, white skin, and skinny and loved taking pictures of the world. Susie liked a boy who finally started to like her back and she thought everything was great but then George Harvey came alone and raped and murdered poor innocent Susie. Susie also had to leave behind both her mother and father and her brother and sister who all loved Susie. Susie left a big mark in the hearts and they will never forget her. As Susie is starting to live her life in heaven and loved it until she missed her family and what her life could have bin like if she didn't make that terrible decision to talk to a stranger. But she see's that she has to overpass her death and her past life and start living her new life in heaven. Even though Susie moved on her family and friends all still think of Susie and never forget her and the same goes for Susie.

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Carbone | 1 comments In the novel The Cradle Will Fall by Mary Higgins Clark, one of the main characters, Dr. Highley, is a famous doctor claiming to cure infertile women. “His tone was courteous with a faint British accent. He was a medium tall man about five feet eleven inches. His face smooth skinned with rounded cheeks and a plump oval chin. He has thinning sandy hair, streaked with gray which he keeps carefully combed in a side part. Eyebrows and lashes the same sandy shade and protruding steel gray eyes.”(Clark 92) What Dr. Highley was really doing was taking babies from mothers who were having abortions and implanting them in women that were incapable of becoming pregnant. This put the mother at huge risk and he ended up killing sixteen women in total. His procedure was deadly and for the most part unsuccessful but there was something about performing surgery that gave him a rush. “And then it came. The icy, deliberate calm, the sense of power, the godlike omniscience that never failed him during a difficult surgery.”(Clark 295) In the end when he is caught, Richard Carroll, one of the medical examiners observes Dr. Highley. “He could have done so much good. Instead he was an egocentric genius who used his god-given skill to experiment with lives.”(Clark 307) Dr. Highley ends up taking his own life and leaving the police behind with patient medical records. As the police investigate the records they uncover the truth behind his practice, and the method behind his madness.