UK Book Club discussion

Recommendations > Book ideas

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David (Cankster123) | 1 comments Hi all, first post so be gentle. I have read all the Stephen King, James Herbert, Lee Child, Repairman Jack & Vince Flynn books and am looking for another enthralling series of books to get my teeth into.

Any reccomendations folks

message 2: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2268 comments Hey Dave. I'm not sure where your literary tastes take you, but you might like to try C.J. Sansom's Matthew Shardlake series or Ariana Franklin's Mistress of the Art of Death. Both are fairly small series, historical type mysteries, but both are quite excellent.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (SquirrelsEnd) | 3541 comments Try John Saul, as good as James Herbert. I found him years ago and love his novels.

message 4: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Walker | 68 comments I can recommend James Thompson. He's written 4 (so far) in a series of crime novels set in Finland. They're fast, gripping reads.

message 5: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Walker | 68 comments Bill wrote: "Hey Dave. I'm not sure where your literary tastes take you, but you might like to try C.J. Sansom's Matthew Shardlake series or Ariana Franklin's Mistress of the Art of Death. Both are fairly small..."

I love the CJ Sansom series but haven't heard of Ariana Franklin. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have a look.

message 6: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Walker | 68 comments Have you read the A Song of Ice and Fire series (better known as Game of Thrones)? I don't normally read fantasy but had a peek and was completely hooked. Didn't emerge until two weeks and 5 books later!

message 7: by Kim-Lost-In-A-Book (last edited Sep 24, 2012 03:51AM) (new)

Kim-Lost-In-A-Book I would suggest the Agent Pendergast books by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.

and I also agree with A Song of Fire and Ice. (I'm currently reading A Game of Thrones and it's very good).

message 8: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (PepeCan) | 5538 comments Mod
Try the Harry Hole series by Jo Nesbo....gripping scandi crime.

message 9: by Kev (new)

Kev Bartlett | 94 comments Agree with Ian there. Nesbo is a terrific crime writer. Also agree with the Game of Thrones suggestions. Throwing out one of own I'd recommend H.P Lovecraft's short story collections. You clearly like horror and he is one of the master's of the genre

message 10: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (ALB2012) | 268 comments Terry Pratchett if you like humourous fantasy, Cadfael by Ellis Peters if you like historical mystery, although these don't have to be read in order.

Lord of the Rings/Tolkein for Fantasy

message 11: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1013 comments I'd not seen this post before but if it's any use crime wise I loved the Dennis lehane series sorry think detectives are Kinsey and genarrp inspired Gone baby gone film, British series I loved John Harvey's resnick set in Nottingham and of course Ian rankings rebus . I'm at mo enjoying 1Q84 3 book murakami. Enjoy !

message 12: by John (new)

John  Ashtone (JohnAshtone) | 19 comments Val Mcdermid is always good, Crack down and Kick back are the 2 I have read recently, but most are superb.

Apparantly she based one of her creepy characters on Jimmy Saville?

message 13: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniellecobbaertbe) | 365 comments Simon Beckett's series of David Hurt. There are currently four books in the series:
The Chemistry of Death
Written in Bone
Whispers of the Dead
The Calling of the Grave