Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Writing and Self-Promotion > Publishing Dead Dads Novel -- ebook or what?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zachary (new)

Zachary | 34 comments Heya

I'd love some advice. So my old man died a few years ago and he'd been writing for years and years. Among his stuff are several pretty kick ass novels all on old type writer paper.

So I've been scanning them in and doing OCR on the pages and have one book more or less done (still needs some editing). So now I'm wondering what to do now ?? I could format it for kindle and put it on amazon or PDF it and let it lose on the web or maybe send it to a real book agent or .. i dono

The first novel is pretty good ..

any advice?

thanks

-Zachary in Oregon

message 2: by Jute (new)

Jute | 238 comments Perhaps some people have written to you with advice privately...I'm certainly no expert on anything. I read I don't write, but if you really believe in the book, I'd try getting an agent, etc. first and then if that doesn't work, go with publishing on Amazon or some such thing.

message 3: by Zachary (new)

Zachary | 34 comments thanks Yeah I'm investigating things. I don't think he'd care so much how it goes out.. just I have no idea about how a book actually gets published. Probably need to do more research.

message 4: by Alethea (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 17 comments Self-publishing and vanity presses are no way to go if you want any kind of respect for your dad's book. It's a brutal market (I used to be a bookseller, it's hard even if you have readers on your side, mainly because production often tends to fall far short of "good".)

If on the other hand you don't care about respect and just want to put it out, sure, go for it.

There are a lot of services available out there, but I haven't compared any and have no insight on which brand is better.