Pride and Prejudice Pride and Prejudice question

What makes your favorite fiction book so good?
Jeni Jeni Sep 19, 2012 10:21PM
What book is your favorite? Why does it stand out to you as a good piece of literature?

I love Pride and Prejudice. Jane Austen did an excellent job of exposing key human qualities, both positive and negative. It is a story that is good in all its permutations of movies because it's the characters' basic character that counts, more than the story-line itself.

For this particular book, I like the fact that Elizabeth is an intelligent, strong, loyal woman who doesn't care what others think of her and has dignity. I also like that although there is no sex in the book you can still sense the sexual chemistry between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy. Proof that a book does not need to go there but can still bring that tension into the story.

I completely agree. What makes a great book is when the characters become real. You feel their presence as you enter their world. I love a story that brings emotions to the surface.

There are lots of books I've loved since I started reading, but at the top of the list there are Jane Austen's novels (all of them) and the Harry Potter series.
I think a book became a favourite of mine when I find myself wishing that characters are real. I mean... if a character is so good that you want to meet him or her, it means that the book touched your heart. And then it's not important if it is considered a literature masterpiece or a commercial operation. What is important is how you feel while reading.

Pride and Prejudice is outstanding due to a combination of plot, theme and characterization. Our emotions are strongly engaged, particularly by Elizabeth and Darcy. We care about them more and more as we discover their strengths and weaknesses: their humanity.

My favorite book is HMS ULYSSES by Alistair MacLean. It an intense story that really presents the subject as it should be--no fake romance added just for effect.

I agree with all of this, but I sometimes like books even when the characters aren't likable. It's great when the story is really well written or applies to your life and you find yourself thinking about it a couple days after you finished it.

Victoria Good Point! Examples like Gone with the Wind or Wuthering Hieghts. Frustrating characters -> great books though!
Sep 25, 2012 07:15AM · flag

Victoria (last edited Sep 25, 2012 07:22AM ) Sep 25, 2012 07:21AM   0 votes
What do i love about pride and prejudice? Everything!
The charaters are memorable, quirky, and strong!
The romance is intricate and beautiful. Like And both you and Elizabeth never quite know when you start to fall for Darcy :)
A lovely time piece. I love that time period so i cherish every mannerisim and eloquently spoken sentence!

When the writer makes me think of something in a way I hadn't before, or if the writer is able to put into words emotions that I've felt but not really understood. Jane Austen is wonderful, but Charlotte Bronte's 'Villette' touches me all the way to my core. My copy of Villette is so marked up and dog-eared, with exclamation marks in the margins... it just makes me wish so badly I could somehow travel back in time and meet Charlotte Bronte. Highly recommend it.