Aussie Readers discussion

You and Your Books! > Young adult novels by Aussie authors

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly (Diva Booknerd) (divabooknerd) | 40 comments Hi people.
I wasn't sure where to post this. Sorry if I've popped it in the wrong spot.

I'm a huge fan of young adult novels, basically that is all that I read. I prefer something that isn't too heavy that I can lose myself in as an escape, but still sleep at night. Yes, I'm that much of a sook.

I'm looking for young adult books by either Aussie authors or books set in Australia. I love Dystopian, Post Apocalyptic, Urban Fantasy, basically anything with adventure.

Hoping that perhaps someone might be able to offer a few recommendations, either paperbacks or preferably kindle editions.

Thanks everyone.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate (ficthoughts) | 69 comments Finnikin Of The Rock by Melina Marchetta is the first in the Lumatere series - fantasy

Also, anything else by Melina Marchetta. I'm a huge fan of hers.

Halo by Alexandra Adornetto first in the Halo series - paranormal romance, angels

Embrace by Jessica Shirvington first book in the Violet Eden Chapters series - also paranormal romance and about angels

Sabriel Garth Nix first in the Abhorsen series - fantasy

Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden - Dystopian

Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar - contemporary

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - WWII historical fiction

Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley

Mercy by Rebecca Lim - I think it's another series about Angels

A Corner of White by Jaclyn Moriarty

These are some of the books Iv'e read or have on my to-read list that fall into the category of YA fiction by Australian Authors.

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie | 31 comments Blood Song (Lharmell, #1) by Rhiannon Hart - I really liked this series so far

Thyla (Thyla, #1) by Kate Gordon - This is a shape shifter series mixed in with alot of Aus history (mainly Tas)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Burn Bright (Night Creatures, #1) by Marianne de Pierres is a slightly dark YA Fantasy (not to dark)!

I really liked it, not set in AUS but and Aussy writer

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate (ficthoughts) | 69 comments Katie wrote: "Blood Song (Lharmell, #1) by Rhiannon Hart - I really liked this series so far"

I really liked Blood Song too. For some reason YA stories about girls who are great with a bow and arrow seem to be popular at the moment... good thing for me since I really enjoy them.

Kelly (Diva Booknerd) (divabooknerd) | 40 comments Thank you ever so much for the recommendations, I greatly appreciate it. I've already started on the Halo series, and will go through the others and add more shortly.

I've found a few lists on Goodreads that feature Aussie authors, so i'll be working off that one too.
Thanks again for your help.

message 7: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68791 comments Mod
Kelly wrote: "Thank you ever so much for the recommendations, I greatly appreciate it. I've already started on the Halo series, and will go through the others and add more shortly.

I've found a few lists on Go..."

If you find any others yourself Kelly, perhaps you could add them here, with their links, so others can check them out:)

Kelly (Diva Booknerd) (divabooknerd) | 40 comments Great idea Brenda. The ones I came across were:
Favourite Aussie YA Books and,
Aussie YA Paranormal and Fantasy.

message 9: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Kelly wrote: "Great idea Brenda. The ones I came across were:
Favourite Aussie YA Books and,
Aussie YA Paranormal and Fantasy."

Thanks for those links Kelly...I actually meant any books you might find along the way:)

message 10: by Tahlia (new)

Tahlia Newland (tahlian) | 90 comments Kelly wrote: "Thank you ever so much for the recommendations, I greatly appreciate it. I've already started on the Halo series, and will go through the others and add more shortly.

I've found a few lists on Go..."

I'd be interested in what you think about Halo, I found it really boring and wondered why it had been published by a mainstream publisher.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Isobelle Carmody is a great YA Aussy Fantasy author I personally like Darkfall and Darksong but the series is un finished due to her other one becoming insanely popular and her devoting her efforts to getting it out and finished

message 12: by Sally906 (last edited Sep 24, 2012 02:32AM) (new)

Sally906 A YA dystopian book by an Aussie author that I LOVED is:

Days Like This by Alison Stewart Days Like This by Alison Stewart

Pippa Dee aka PD Martin has ventured into the YA fantasy/paranormal arena as well. I have read both of her books - but they are ebooks only - both very good and well worth getting your hands on:

The Wanderer (Guardian/Wanderer series #1) by Pippa Dee The Wanderer, and
Grounded Spirits by Pippa Dee Grounded Spirits

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 03, 2013 10:33PM) (new)

The Pagan Chronicles by Catherine Jinks, as well as Eye to Eye by the same author.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Melanie wrote: "Isobelle Carmody is a great YA Aussy Fantasy author I personally like Darkfall and Darksong but the series is un finished due to her other one becoming insanely popular and her devoting her effort..."

@Melanie: I love that series! Yes, frustrating, isn't it? :( GR (or is it Amazon?) says it's due out later this year, but what're the odds something else will come up?

message 15: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3117 comments I've just read The Light Heart of Stone which is fantastic! Really well written, great characters and a fascinating story.

message 16: by Mish (new)

Mish | 3495 comments New releases - YA Aussie Authors

Alex As Well by Alyssa Brugman 30/1/13

All This Could End by Steph Bowe 27/2/13

Haze by Paula Weston 22/5/13

message 17: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Callen | 17 comments What a great list! Madly writing down names for the YA reader who hasn't taken her nose out of a book all holidays.

message 18: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Alissa wrote: "What a great list! Madly writing down names for the YA reader who hasn't taken her nose out of a book all holidays."

Awesome Alissa!

message 19: by Mish (new)

Mish | 3495 comments Here is another New release by an Aussie Author

The Laeduin by Leah Giarratano Due out on 30/1

message 20: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Mish wrote: "Here is another New release by an Aussie Author

The Laeduin by Leah Giarratano Due out on 30/1"

Wow I didn't know she wrote YA!!

message 21: by Mish (new)

Mish | 3495 comments Brenda wrote: "Mish wrote: "Here is another New release by an Aussie Author

The Laeduin by Leah Giarratano Due out on 30/1"

Wow I didn't know she wrote YA!!"

This is her first series for YA Brenda. Disharmony is the first book in the series & The Laeduin is the follow on.

message 22: by joanne (new)

joanne (cabeswaters) Am trying to avoid mentioning books that have already been mentioned...

Magic or Madness by Justine Larbalestier. Modern fantasy, starts in Sydney then moves to New York.

Divine Madness by Robert Muchamore. Set in Autsralia, not by an Australian author

The Ivory Rose by Belinda Murrell. This one's more middle grade, but it's set in Annandale, a suburb I love. She and her sister Kate Forsyth both have a number of other books.

Opal dreaming by Karen Wood. Completely forgotten the first in this series, for horse lovers.

Hot Potato by Alyssa Brugman. Another series for horse lovers.

Sophie Masson Writes a bit of everything. The latest I enjoyed was Moonlight and Ashes

Kelly (Diva Booknerd) (divabooknerd) | 40 comments Thank you very muchly to everyone's recommendations, I've added quite a few to my list and no doubt that it wont take long to get to those, I can go through books like nobody's business.

One I came across recently is The Boys of Summer (Summer, #1) by C.J. Duggan
It was brilliant, brought back alot of memories, set in the mid 90's when I was just a little younger than the main character. Oh, just loved it.

message 24: by Tash (last edited Jan 30, 2013 09:21PM) (new)

Tash (tashm) | 18 comments Ohh suprised nobody mention
Stormdancer (The Lotus War, #1) by Jay Kristoff
Australian author but the book set in Japan.
The Key to Rondo (Rondo, #1) by Emily Rodda
Then there is the Rondo series by Emily Rodda- It more aimed at a younger YA audience

message 25: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (last edited Jan 30, 2013 10:57PM) (new)

Phrynne | 11126 comments Mod
Tash wrote: "Ohh suprised nobody mention
Stormdancer (The Lotus War, #1) by Jay Kristoff
Australian author but the book set in Japan.
The Key to Rondo (Rondo, #1) by Emily Rodda
Then there is the Rondo series by Emily Rodda- It mor..."

Stormdancer is an excellent book. I really enjoyed it!

message 26: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

message 27: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3117 comments This is a link to the bookshelf at the Australian Women Writers Challenge Group. It has a whole category of YA (female!) authors and their books. You can narrow your search or just have a lovely browse :) http://www.goodreads.com/group/booksh...

message 28: by Dean (new)

Dean MacAllister (deanmacallister) I'm still trying to figure out if my new novel is YA or not....the classification eludes me.

message 29: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (cloggiedownunder) | 8073 comments The Accident by Kate Hendrick byKate Hendrick is a good one, Text sent me a copy to review, really enjoyed it, doesn't go where expected

message 30: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

message 31: by S.K. (new)

message 32: by Renae (new)

Renae (renaev) Wish I had some to add...but instead I've add most to my TBR list. Think its time to hit up the library

message 33: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Renae wrote: "Wish I had some to add...but instead I've add most to my TBR list. Think its time to hit up the library"

Library is best...much cheaper;)

message 34: by Renae (new)

Renae (renaev) Very true Brenda. Except they dont always have what I want...next step is the local markets, if not I order them from Booktopia. Sometimes I make it to a book store in Perth, but not very often

message 35: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Good luck Renae:)

message 36: by Chris (new)

message 37: by Kate (new)

Kate (ficthoughts) | 69 comments The Smitten series by Kate Forster (who is Australian) is super fluffy contemporary romantic YA. I've only read Piece of Cake which was set in Melbourne and few pages of Unlucky Break but they're very much on the light hearted and super fluffy side of things.

Currently reading The Rig by Joe Ducie. It's pretty good so far. Sort of like a teenage prison break scenario.

Also currently reading Zac and Mia by AJ Betts. Teenage cancer kids set in Perth. I'm only a hundred pages in but am liking where it's going.

Oh and also currently reading (I'm reading half a dozen books at any time) Banishby Nicola Marsh. Witches in New York but the author is Australian.

Piece of Cake by Kate Forster Unlucky Break by Kate Forster The Rig by Joe Ducie Zac and Mia by A.J. Betts Banish by Nicola Marsh