Completists' Club discussion

Patricia Highsmith
This topic is about Patricia Highsmith
Authors E-H > Patricia Highsmith

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (last edited Sep 29, 2012 05:42AM) (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 296 comments NOVELS
Strangers on a Train (1950)
The Price of Salt (as Claire Morgan) (1952), also published as Carol
The Blunderer (1954)
The Talented Mr. Ripley (1955)
Deep Water (1957)
A Game for the Living (1958)
This Sweet Sickness (1960)
The Cry of the Owl (1962)
The Two Faces of January (1964)
The Glass Cell (1964)
A Suspension of Mercy (1965), also published as The Story-Teller
Those Who Walk Away (1967)
The Tremor of Forgery (1969)
Ripley Under Ground (1970)
A Dog's Ransom (1972)
Ripley's Game (1974)
Edith's Diary (1977)
The Boy Who Followed Ripley (1980)
People Who Knock on the Door (1983)
Found in the Street (1987)
Ripley Under Water (1991)
Small g: a Summer Idyll (1995)

SHORT STORY COLLECTIONS
Eleven (1970; also known as The Snail-Watcher and Other Stories)
Little Tales of Misogyny (1974)
The Animal Lover's Book of Beastly Murder (1975)
Slowly, Slowly in the Wind (1979)
The Black House (1981)
Mermaids on the Golf Course (1985)
Tales of Natural and Unnatural Catastrophes (1987)
Nothing That Meets the Eye: The Uncollected Stories (2002; posthumously published)
[edit]Collected works
Patricia Highsmith: Selected Novels and Short Stories (W.W. Norton, 2010)

Miscellaneous
Plotting and Writing Suspense Fiction (1966)
Miranda the Panda Is on the Veranda (1958; children's book of verse and drawings, co-written with Doris Sanders)

message 2: by Jessica (last edited Sep 29, 2012 05:45AM) (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 296 comments I've read about 15 of her novels so could easily complete the list, also many of her short stories, as well as her biography by Joan Schenkar.
A fascinating writer. As with Du Maurier, Hitchcock made films of several of her novels, and others (particularly the French) did as well.

message 3: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 122 comments Nice to see a lady make the list....

message 4: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 122 comments I've only read A Dog's Ransom and Tales of Natural and Unnatural Catastrophes, which were quite weirdass. (That's a technical term.)

message 5: by David (new)

David Merrill | 35 comments I've only read Strangers On A Train, part of my effort to read novels and stories on which Hitchcock based his movies. I liked it very much and own about 5 of her other novels, so I plan to read more.

message 6: by Darwin8u (new)

Darwin8u | 46 comments I've read all the Ripley novels and want to expand to her short stories and other novels soon. SO:

1. The Talented Mr. Ripley (1955)
2. Ripley Under Ground (1970)
3. Ripley's Game (1974)
4. The Boy Who Followed Ripley (1980)
5. Ripley Under Water (1991)

I think the Ripliad is a good place to start with Highsmith (pats own back).

message 7: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 122 comments I've also read The Blunderer (decent novel, would make a better movie). I aborted The Price of Salt. Couldn't get into it. I see that The Two Faces of January was made into a movie with Viggo Mortenson. Naturally that means I have to see it...

message 8: by Dharmakirti (last edited Feb 02, 2015 12:01PM) (new)

Dharmakirti | 27 comments Here is a little musical ode to Ms. Highsmith (and her snails).

Song: Snails and Lasers For Patricia Highsmith
Artist: Matmos
Album: The Rose Has Teeth in the Mouth of a Beast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn_aS...

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 296 comments Lobstergirl wrote: I see that The Two Faces of January was made into a movie with Viggo Mo..."

I watched the movie last night. I thought it was really very good. (I don't think I ever read the novel though?) Anyway, you must see if LG if you haven't already. It also stars Oscar Isaac whom I love.

message 10: by Sketchbook (last edited Feb 02, 2015 01:37PM) (new)

Sketchbook I too like Isaac, age 35-36, but he was 15 years too old to be playing an unformed just-out-of college kid, which is essential to the story. ~~ It's another Highsm with a promising situ that she cannot resolve. Hitch filmed 1 novel and Chabrol a 2d. Rene Clement's version of "Talented Mr R" aka "Purple Noon" is vastly superior to Minghella's stumpff.

Highsm is v frustrating : eg, having someone killed because a typewriter was thrown at 'em in "The Tremor of Forgery." ~~ A must-read : the stories of John Collier, "Fancies and Goodnights."

message 11: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 122 comments Jessica wrote: "I watched the movie last night. I thought it was really very good. (I don't think I ever read the novel though?) Anyway, you must see if LG if you haven't already. It also stars Oscar Isaac whom I love."

Oh okay...I just found out who he was when he appeared on the Daily Show recently. Never heard of him before that.

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 296 comments he's fantastic in 'Inside Llewyn Davis" (last year's film) and this year's just released, "A Most Violent Year." I recommend these 2 as well.