The Filipino Group discussion

Anna Karenina
This topic is about Anna Karenina
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Buddy Reads > Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (Aldrin, Alexa, Angus, Honey, Kate, Kwesi, Lynai, Sheila). Start Date: October 15

Comments Showing 1-50 of 98 (98 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angus (last edited Sep 22, 2012 12:10AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Anna Karenina has beauty, social position, wealth, a husband, and an adored son, but her existence seems empty. When she meets the dashing officer Count Vronsky she rejects her marriage and turns to him to fulfill her passionate nature--with devastating results. One of the world's greatest novels, Anna Karenina is both an immortal drama of personal conflict and social scandal and a vivid, richly textured panorama of nineteenth-century Russia.

Hello buddies, I'm posting this early because we'd like to schedule this on a date that is convenient for all of us. This is one giant classic read, so let's make this a memorable experience for all participants.

I was thinking of starting this on sem break. I don't have a definite date in mind because I don't know when the sem break will be. :D

While the date is still to be determined, let's talk about anything related to book. Do you have any expectations? What are your feelings for it? Are you looking forward to the new film adaptation? Who's the translator of your edition?

Et cetera...

Reading Plan

Day 01: (Part One) I - XIV
Day 02: XV - XXIX
Day 03: XXX - (Part Two) XI
Day 04: XII - XXV
Day 05: XXVI - (Part Three) IV
Day 06: V - XVII
Day 07: XIX - XXII
Day 08: (Part Four) I - XIV
Day 09: XV - (Part Five) IV
Day 10: V - XX
Day 11: XXI - XXXIII
Day 12: (Part Six) I - XIV
Day 13: XV - XXVII
Day 14: XXVIII - (Part Seven) X
Day 15: XI - XXV
Day 16: XXVI - (Part Eight) XIX

Sheila (archiveangel) | 107 comments Hi Angus! I have an e-book, but I'm planning to buy a copy by the recommended translators (the russians), not the very first translator (constance garnett).

I've read a few pages by Garnett----I didn't like it, I'm not feeling it. So I stopped reading. I thought that Tolstoy would be more poetic or lyrical.

I want to see the film because it's by Joe Wright. I liked his direction of Atonement and P&P.

I'm excited to read this. My awareness probably started with my aunt's storytelling (woman jumping in front of the train)and with earlier film adaptation starring Sophie Marceaux and Sean Bean.

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Hi Shiela! We have a similar story of awareness. My Art Appreciation professor back in college talked about the novel, particularly about going through all those pages with that ending. I found it very promising: what drove her to such a ghastly death?

My translation is by Pevear and Volokhonsky. I also don't like Garnett as a translator. I got her translation of War and Peace, and after finishing 50 pages, I switched to the P&V translation.

Joe Wright! Yes, I love his Atonement. I have yet to watch P&P but only after I have read it; it's our book of the month for October.

Sheila (archiveangel) | 107 comments When I was studying MassComm, nobody talked of books! Not these books at least: )

My expectation here is to get a feel of Tolstoy's style in writing and of course, to know what drove a beautiful, aristocratic woman to meet an ugly fate.

message 5: by Lynai (last edited Sep 19, 2012 08:30PM) (new) - added it

Lynai | 1188 comments Yay! May thread na!

And I am ashamed to tell that my ebook copy is the translation of Garnett. Hahaha! I might as well start looking for P&V versions. OR as I've told Angus, I'll stick with this version and let's compare notes. Let's see. :D

Since this is a thick book, can we schedule it for the whole month? Or is a month too long?

And oh I first heard about Anna Karenina when the teleserye starring Kim Delos Reyes, Antoinette Taus, and Sunshine Dizon was shown while I was in high school. Hahahaha!

Sheila (archiveangel) | 107 comments Garnett is actually readable. It's just my opinion that her translation is choppy and commonplace because I have high expectations from a Russian novelist:)

message 7: by Aldrin (new) - added it

Aldrin (fullybooked) | 223 comments May I join? :p

Alexa (codenameblue) | 935 comments I have an ebook version as well, but I want to have a physical copy because it's such a long read! Haha!

message 9: by Lynai (new) - added it

Lynai | 1188 comments Blue wrote: "I have an ebook version as well, but I want to have a physical copy because it's such a long read! Haha!"

I prefer ebooks if it's a long read. Para di ako maintimidate sa size at first glance haha!

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Sheila: My MassComm friends weren't big readers. They only read Jessica Zafra and The Catcher in the Rye. I didn't have anyone to rant and rave about books then, so I hear ya!

Lynai: No worries! I just had a bad experience with the book itself (some pages were missing), so the translator got a share of my ire. :D

One month is quite long, but I haven't really checked. I'll update everyone once I check my copy. And yes, I still remember THAT Sunday afternoon series. I was never hooked though, haha.

Aldrin: List updated!

Alexa: Go for physical copies! Pwede siyang gawing dumbbell! :D

message 11: by Aldrin (new) - added it

Aldrin (fullybooked) | 223 comments Angus: Yay!

Lynai: DM me your email address and I'll email you the PV translation.

All: I'm a fan of Joe Wright's!

message 12: by Lynai (new) - added it

Lynai | 1188 comments YAAAYYY! Thanks generous Aldrin! Haha. Will send you a PM right after I post this. As in now na! :D

message 13: by Aldrin (new) - added it

Aldrin (fullybooked) | 223 comments Sent na! As in kanina lang! Haha.

message 14: by Lynai (new) - added it

Lynai | 1188 comments Aldrin wrote: "Sent na! As in kanina lang! Haha."

Salamat! I'll open it, but later pa! :))

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments As in? Later pa? Now na!

message 16: by Lynai (new) - added it

Lynai | 1188 comments Angus wrote: "As in? Later pa? Now na!"

Delayed gratification ang drama ko ngayon. CHOS. May ibang pang ginagawa kasi now na eh. :P

Sheila (archiveangel) | 107 comments Aldrin: Will you be kind to give me a copy of the P&V version as well? At daytime, I prefer the physical book, but at night, I like it electronic, better lighting: )

Angus: Accurate perception on Zafra fans among MassComm students. It's an illness called I-haven't-read-more-witty-authors-like-Nabokov-yet: )

message 18: by Aldrin (new) - added it

Aldrin (fullybooked) | 223 comments Sheila: Sure! Just PM me your email address. :)

message 19: by Aldrin (new) - added it

Aldrin (fullybooked) | 223 comments Shiela: Sent! :)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Sheila: I was (with a sheepish face) afflicted with that illness. Good thing I was also entertaining the works of Joseph Conrad and William Faulkner at that time. It's good I was able to self-quarantine. Otherwise, I would have been a... never mind. :D

message 21: by Aldrin (new) - added it

Aldrin (fullybooked) | 223 comments Shiela: Sobrang forever fan ni JZafra si Angus. Don't let him convince you otherwise.

Sheila (archiveangel) | 107 comments Angus: Ako rin. I used to own Zafra books and I shudder now when I think about my sarcasm-loving-self. A fat lot of good those Twisted series did me: )

I redeemed myself by loving a columnist (I was a masscomm student through and through), Conrado de Quiros. But even he can't satisfy my thirst for language. So enter Jane Austen. And now, the Russians.

message 23: by Angus (last edited Sep 20, 2012 12:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Aldrin, Shiela: It's a difficult relationship, y'know!

Re: Russians

I intend to do some big Russian reads next year, like Dostoevsky, Pasternak, Solzhenitsyn, Turgenev (if I can get a copy of his works). :D

Sheila (archiveangel) | 107 comments Aldrin: Too late the hero!
Angus: Be comforted by my earlier faith in the writer: )

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Aldrin: If I know, kay JZ mo nakilala si David Mitchell, hahaha!

message 26: by Aldrin (new) - added it

Aldrin (fullybooked) | 223 comments Angus: Hoy hindi a! Kay Dave Eggers via The New York Times ko sya nakilala. Chura ni Zafra!

message 27: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 20, 2012 06:41AM) (new)

Makiki close ako kay Aldrin at sana bigyan nya din ako nung P&V version. XD

First time kong sasali sa buddy reading kaya excited ako then while reading this thread mas lalo pa 'kong na excite kasi wow, super dami nyo alam.

It's my second attempt to read a Russian since that nightmarish experience that is Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov. XD

message 28: by Aldrin (new) - added it

Aldrin (fullybooked) | 223 comments Kate: And your email is? :p

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

yay gumana! coming right up~ Thank you!

Alexa (codenameblue) | 935 comments Atty. Lynai: on second thought, it's easier to read with % as progress measurement :)) but I'd still like to have a physical copy, so I can switch back and forth whenever I feel like it, haha!

Angus: Tamaugh! Pero ayokong magka biceps. Hassle sa muscle (see what I did there? HAHAHA)

kwesi 章英狮 (kwesifriends) | 2752 comments Yay! Ngayon ko lang nakita ang thread and thanks Angus for reminding me. I just received my copy yesterday with Garnett inscribed in the cover. I also tried to read the first few parts of the book and so far I'm liking it, no problem with the translation either and it was also mentioned that the translation was revised by Kent and Berberova (Ay, I don't know them). I'll try to look for P&V translation of Anna Karenina and I'm not expecting to buy the physical one. Haha. I don't like duplicate copies.

When are we going to start reading the book guys? Kung sembreak, pwede ako October 20 to November 4.

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Kwesi, alam ko naman na kailangan ka pang iremind noh.! Hmp, hehe.

Sa mga students at mga nagwowork sa academe, kailan ang sem break ninyo? :)

kwesi 章英狮 (kwesifriends) | 2752 comments Haha. Eh, minsan kasi natatabunan ang ibang threads. Hindi ko mabasa. Ayaw ko pa naman sa lahat ay mag halungkat ng mga old threads. Super thanks again!

Alexa (codenameblue) | 935 comments October 13 to November 4 ata kami! Basta sure na October 13 till the end of the month I'm free :D (haay salamat. Feels like I've been studying forever) yayyy I'm excited! I checked it out too and I like that the chapters aren't so long. Hihi.

Sheila (archiveangel) | 107 comments So I read a news of a man jumping from a train at a New York zoo. He got mauled by the tiger. I imagine I'd be noticing more of these bizarre, real-world versions in my own anticipation and anxiety to read the book: )

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Bakit mas maikli yung kina Kwesi? BTW, basahin din natin agad ang Pride and Prejudice ha! Let's support DC. So unahin natin iyon.

So my copy has 817 pages (excluding the notes). If we do 50 pages a day, mga 16-17 days iyon. So I think October 15 is a good start date?

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Sheila: And don't forget the suicide attempts at the LRT.

message 38: by Aldrin (new) - added it

Aldrin (fullybooked) | 223 comments Btw, Kwesi, I love it when you tweet "Madame @_FullyBooked."

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Kami October 13 end of sem so any day after that pwede ako. Took a glimpse (more like lil' reading) and liking it. Salamat at may kabuluhan na ang sembreak ko this time. haha

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments So there: October 15. Madame @_Kwesinina, humabol ka na lang, hehe. The reading plan is up there, on message 1. The chapters are not long so this is pretty manageable. You can read two chapters on the bus, one on the train, another while on the toilet, et al.

message 41: by Alexa (last edited Oct 01, 2012 08:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alexa (codenameblue) | 935 comments In two weeks na pala to! I'm trying to finish all the books I can before this starts, because I have a feeling this will command my full attention XD

message 42: by Maria Ella (new)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 1351 comments Pwede po bang makitsismis? or kibitzer? or eavesdropper? :)

message 43: by Aldrin (last edited Oct 01, 2012 05:26PM) (new) - added it

Aldrin (fullybooked) | 223 comments This is the edition I have: Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy , also translated by Pevear and Volokhonsky.

It's smaller and slightly thinner than this Anna Karenina  by Leo Tolstoy (which is the edition I presume most of you buddies have), so it's much less daunting. Lol.

Sheila (archiveangel) | 107 comments Aldrin, where did you buy?

message 45: by Aldrin (new) - added it

Aldrin (fullybooked) | 223 comments Sheila: I found a copy at Fully Booked Marquee Mall. Before I did, though, I saw a used copy listed on eBay.ph, pero may mild spine creasing daw kaya di ko kinuha. Haha.

Sheila (archiveangel) | 107 comments I would like a thinner copy. Sige, I'll find one in FB. Thanks!

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Sheila, I also found a copy of that smaller edition at FB - Boni High. But that was months ago. :D

Sheila (archiveangel) | 107 comments Thanks Angus. It's over 800 pages di ba? 2 lbs. din if you carry. Kung may 1 lb. pwede na.

Fantaghiro23 | 49 comments Hi! May I join, too? Been looking for a group read for this book a while now.

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Yay! Yes Miss Honey, I'll add you on the list. Sorry, but I need to add "Miss" because "Honey" alone sounds weird, haha. :D

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.