Weekly Short Stories Contest and Company! discussion

Weekly Poetry Stuffage > Week 138 (September 19-26) Poems Topic: wax

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M (new)

M | 11041 comments Great autumn topic, Alex! I’ll write something about candles.

message 2: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments You're worried about that after Kat's story last week?

message 3: by M (new)

M | 11041 comments I'll be happy to read the rough draft.

message 4: by M (new)

M | 11041 comments Will I have to strap on another fire extinguisher for the afterlife?

message 5: by M (new)

M | 11041 comments I did! It’s the first time I realized that my notebook computer has a smoke alarm.

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 1365 comments Excellent as always M.

message 7: by M (new)

M | 11041 comments Christa, where’s your Shakespearean poem? I couldn’t get to it at lunch, and now it’s gone! I was looking forward to reading it.

message 8: by M (new)

M | 11041 comments On second thought, I’m taking mine down, too. I’m not very happy with it.

message 9: by Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (last edited Sep 22, 2012 08:12AM) (new)

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 1365 comments Aww no M, I liked it. I took mine down because in the end I think it is stupid, I am going to try something else.

message 10: by Hanzleberry (new)

Hanzleberry (doughboyissweet) | 1065 comments WHYYYY??

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 1365 comments Why to me or why to M?

Thomas (Marimbapanda) | 328 comments Hey, all. Remember me? If you don't... oh well.

Let's see... Wax?

Let's give it a shot!

The Candle

The candle's blood,
Is red and thick.
Burned by a flame,
On the candle's wick.

It gives itself up,
To give us some light.
The candle's blood is,
Such a beautiful sight.

I stare at the candle,
In a humble state.
Its sacrifice is,
Such a selfless fate.

I blow the flame out,
Preserving its noble life.
It will be used again,
To erase night's strife.

message 13: by Thomas (Marimbapanda) (last edited Sep 23, 2012 03:21PM) (new)

Thomas (Marimbapanda) | 328 comments Alex (Al) wrote: "I remember you and so does Hanzle! Wonderful poem, Thomas! Gives off quite the visual. Did I word that right? I have such a migraine it is hard to think."

That's good to hear! I miss the both of you so much! Thanks for the comment, I tried to use imagery well. :D

Hope your migraine gets better...

message 14: by Hanzleberry (new)

Hanzleberry (doughboyissweet) | 1065 comments Thomas! You're back! Missed you and your beautiful writing! I'm glad to see that your poem for this week was just how I remembered your writing. Awesome as ever! :)

message 15: by Alice (new)

Alice (cimmerian) Hi... I'd like to try this challenge.. I haven't written all that many poems lately, but I hope this will do :p

It's uh, about change and although it is painful and frightful, it can lead to many good things as well..

As time increases, shape may turn
shapes, as ever they shift
whilst the wax be burned
the smoldering heat adrift
in the airs and winds above
may winter’s breath tease
reach each every alcove
to cover whichever for pleads
but let the spark hunger
even in pain and fear
passion and soul a thunder
desires and needs collide
still the kindle shall be alit
still fiery, although through and through
it burned, fueled on wit
a flame not red, but blue
though change be strange and frightful
true beauty and worth will be freed
in a new form of wax, so delightful
now pride and perfection proceed

message 16: by M (new)

M | 11041 comments Alice’s poem has a lot of style! The rhyme is nicely done, and in the line “though change be strange and frightful,” she uses the subjunctive mood, something hardly anyone knows how to do anymore.

message 17: by M (last edited Sep 25, 2012 11:35AM) (new)

M | 11041 comments At Lady Ramona’s

Through diamond panes of her carved door,
I see a torch-lit sign.
A fall day wanes behind The Boar,
its casks of honey wine.

Her fingers light a long taper
in a suspended globe,
then with sleek movements undrape her
of an embroidered robe.

The tallow-thickened atmosphere,
as though ignited, glows,
now quickened with an old, stone fear
of lengthening shadows.

Her witching looks put me at ease.
She locks us in the room,
while on its hooks, in a sharp breeze,
the sign creaks in the gloom.

message 18: by M (new)

M | 11041 comments Thank you, Alex! You’re too kind. I patched on that one for quite a while this afternoon, but it was so bad to start with that nothing could fix it.

message 19: by Alice (new)

Alice (cimmerian) Thanks a lot for the compliment ^^ I'm really glad you like my style!

Thomas (Marimbapanda) | 328 comments Wow! I like the poems much better than mine so far. As to which one is my favorite... you will see. ;D

Nice to see you too, Hanzle. I missed your charismatic nature. It never fails to brighten my mood. I hope that in my absence, that my poetry has grown instead of regressed. Thanks for the compliment. :D

message 21: by Kyra (new)

Kyra (Nikara) | 1221 comments See, this is why I write my poems before reading other people's. You all discourage me with your brilliance. XD
I will still attempt to complete a poem, but I doubt it's going to compare to any of these.

message 22: by Alice (new)

Alice (cimmerian) I bet yours will be awesome, don't worry :)

message 23: by M (new)

M | 11041 comments All pirates on deck! The Week 138 polls are up. Cast your votes!

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/72...