75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Randy (new)

Randy (rpetrick333) 1. Key to the Law of Attraction by Jack Canfield. Wow - for self-improvement interested folks, this one is packed with an amazing amount of wisdom. Five stars.

message 2: by Randy (new)

Randy (rpetrick333) 2. The Strangest Secret to Success by Earl Nightengale. This is an oldie but goodie. Earl is long since passed on, but had to be one of the wisest philosophers of his era. His ability to take in massive amounts of information and synthesize the whole into usable bites was unsurpassed. Short, but very well done. Four stars.

message 3: by Randy (new)

Randy (rpetrick333) 3. Living Well in a Down Economy For Dummies by Tracy Barr. Great concept...mediocre result. There are better books out there on this topic. Three stars at best...maybe two.

message 4: by Randy (new)

Randy (rpetrick333) 4. Black Ops by W.E.B. Griffin. I believe this is the fifth in the Presidential Agent series. I'm a newer follower of Griffin (finding the other series related to earlier wars just weren't my style), but this series is present day and eerily timely in its military topics. Very well done...a read that grabs you. Start with book 1 however and read in order. You'll enjoy them more that way. Five stars.

message 5: by Randy (new)

Randy (rpetrick333) 5. How to Win at Slots by S. Mills. Okay, yeah, I'm addicted to Video Poker and thought this might be helpful. NOT! One star is generous.

message 6: by Randy (new)

Randy (rpetrick333) 6. The Top 10 Distinctions Between Millionaires and the Middle Class by Keith Cameron Smith. Being a financial author myself (see my profile), this one intrigued me a great deal. Smith wrote (in 7 days!) a book with as much financial wisdom as I've seen in a long time. A quick, easy read that deserves multiple reads and much mulling over. Exceptional. Five Stars.

message 7: by Karol (new)

Karol Hmmm . Jack Canfield - isn't he the one who started the whole "Chicken Soup for the Soul" series?

I tend to like political intrigue so I'll look into those books by W.E.B. Griffin, too.

message 8: by Randy (new)

Randy (rpetrick333) Yes, that's exactly who Jack Canfield is. I've enjoyed some of the Chicken Soup books, but have to say Canfield is truly superb in my opinion when writing outside of the Chicken Soup series. I love writers who can share useful wisdom for everyday life.

As to Griffin, let me know what you think. I have a friend who I got started on that particular series. He's on the final one now (Black Ops) and though we're on vacation together, I've hardly seen him for two straight days. He can't put it down. :)

message 9: by Liz (new)

Liz (busy91) Ohhh, Jack Canfield, I like him. Guess I'll put this one on the list (if I didn't already) but some how I think I did. :)

message 10: by Randy (new)

Randy (rpetrick333) 7. Dog On It by Spencer Quinn. You know you can rarely go wrong when Stephen King is one of those giving advance praise, and that holds true here. An easy read mystery, for dog lovers it's a blast! Seeing things from the point of view of man's best friend lends extra fun to a great little mystery. Four stars.

message 11: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulagrin) | 148 comments Hi Randy, I just realized you might not have checked my response to you about The Book Thief! I highly recommend it; I ended up giving it five stars. My review is here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Scroll down to just past half the page to see the review (it's a long one and contains spoilers) if you want more specifics on the book. Hope you enjoy it!

message 12: by Randy (new)

Randy (rpetrick333) Paula wrote: "Hi Randy, I just realized you might not have checked my response to you about The Book Thief! I highly recommend it; I ended up giving it five stars. My review is here: http://www.goodreads.com/top..."

Thank you, Paula - I did see your response but hadn't taken the time to reply. I have The Book Thief on my Amazon Kindle but had been debating about reading it. I'll move it to the top of my list. Thanks again for the recommendation!

message 13: by Randy (new)

Randy (rpetrick333) 8-14: Longarm #'s 352, 360, 358, 357, 339, 341, 345 by Tabor Evans. The guy's equivalent of bodice rippers for women. Old-time Westerns with a decided sexual slant. Escapism reading for those who like the old west and hot romance. Typcially about two stars each. :)

message 14: by Randy (new)

Randy (rpetrick333) 15. The Associate by John Grisham. Not his very best, but far closer to the kind of books that hooked me on Grisham years ago. Five stars for plot and keeping you fairly riveted, but only two or three stars for the ending which left a lot of holes. Overall, four stars.