The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Favorite Authors/Books/Series > John Sandford - Virgil Flowers Series

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments So...it's almost October and you know what that means!!! Our man, Virgil, is coming to town. WOOT!! Mad River hits the shelves here in the US October 2nd!!! Am I excited?? Oh yessss....oh yes I am.

message 2: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments I WANT TO READ!!!!

Sorry, for shouting, but I do! ;-)

message 3: by John (new)

John Karr (karr) | 122 comments Modern Bonnie and Clyde types? I had not heard of this Virgil Flowers series from Sandford. Liked the three or four Prey books I read.

message 4: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments Virgil was introduced in the Prey series a few years ago. I'm not quite sure, exactly, what characteristic of Virgil's made Sandford decide to write a series featuring him, but I'm so glad he did! As much as I love Lucas Davenport, I have to admit, I love Virgil more. (sheepish grin) Who wouldn't adore a flip-flops & "obscure rock band t-shirt" wearing, honkytonk dancing, hard lovin', bass fishin' investigator who, even though he is a native Minnesotan, looks like a surfer dude but hides a razor sharp intellect behind an affable smile and possesses the heart of a poet? (laughing). This series really entertains me, and is one of the reasons I look forward to autumn each year. The books in order are: Dark Of The Moon, Heat Lightning, Rough Country, Bad Blood, & Shock Wave.

message 5: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments T wrote: "I WANT TO READ!!!!

Sorry, for shouting, but I do! ;-)"

That's okay! (doing snoopy dance of great jubilation)

message 6: by John (new)

John Karr (karr) | 122 comments Jeanie wrote: "Virgil was introduced in the Prey series a few years ago. I'm not quite sure, exactly, what characteristic of Virgil's made Sandford decide to write a series featuring him, but I'm so glad he did!..."

Hmmm. Thanks for the description. I kinda go for the jaded gumshoes a bit more.

message 7: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments Got confused there for a moment...it's out today, and I'm presently downloading from Audible. (Woot!)

message 8: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments "He was on April Street and took it north across Apple,Cherry,Peach,Pear and Plum to Main, where he took a right and crossed May,June,July and August, turned left and crossed Aspen,Birch,Cedar,Elm,Maple and Oak toward the pool of light realizing, as he did so, that the east-west streets south of Main were named after fruits and alphabetized and the east-west streets north of Main were named after trees and alphabetized. At the same time the north-south streets were named after the months apparently starting from the west edge of town and marching east. That meant if a parent were told that her kid was acting up at the corner of Pear and April she would have an instant appreciation of the kid's precise location. What would happen if the town built more than twelve north-south streets Virgil couldn't guess. In any case it all seemed a little anal...even for Minnesota."

(laughing) Love it.

message 9: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments I love how this series, even though it's a spin off and even has cameo appearances from Lucas and others from time to time, has a feel and pace that is completely different from the Prey series. If I didn't know better, I'd think it was written by a completely different author. Of course, I "listen" to both series most of the time instead of reading them, so that might affect how they come across to me, but I really don't think so. I think Sandford is just that good. This series, just like Virgil, himself, is, overall, more laid back most of the time, whereas the Prey books, just like Lucas, are more tightly wound and seem, at least to me, to run at a rather frenetic pace.

message 10: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments Have you read Sandford's other books, though, under his real name of John Camp?

For some reason, I tried one or two of those and couldn't get into them.....