The Secret Life of Bees The Secret Life of Bees discussion

Not for kids!

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sherry I'm glad I read "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd. But it was quiet an emotional read for me.

Yona Yurwit I don't know why that means it can't be for kids. Can you explain that thought more?

Sara Lane-Blackburn I took all four of my children to see the movie when it came out. I want my children to see truth and then be the one their to guide them through it.

Franknannie Yona wrote: "I don't know why that means it can't be for kids. Can you explain that thought more?"

There is some pretty graphic and violent scenes in this book. That is why people may not allow their children to read it.

Yona Yurwit Better in a book than on TV. And, as Sara said, open it to discussion.

Hayley Linfield I think this is an ideal book for kids (depends on the age of course). Yes, there is tragedy in this book, and there is racism, but it deals with it in such an uplifting way, with such a happy ending, and it's a great starting point for some really meaningful discussions with your children. Depending on the kid, but I'd guess that 10 or 11 would be minimum age?

Lora I tend to teach my kids the high road and teach them about the low road later. In other words, I taught love first. Much later I started teaching them about the low roads that people often choose- in this case, racism. I am very careful not to dump adult levels of detail on them, either. There is truth, and there is timing, and both are equally important.
There's also the emotional side of a book- some kids really immerse themselves in a book and I have had to be careful of certain books. In this case, I would not recommend this book to children- perhaps teens.

Joclyn I think this is a great book for teens, maybe not on the level of "To Kill a Mockingbird," but the same message.

Jennifer I read 'To Kill A Mockingbird' at 12 years old in school and I wasn't at all too young to appreciate and learn from the message. Therefore I don't think this book would be 'bad' for a child of 12 to read either.

Kirby I thought this book was written for kids/teens...

message 11: by Lora (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lora It depends on who's opinion you go by. I'm sure you've encountered lots of opinions about literature on GR! I enjoy hearing from others.

Jamie Archer This book was not written for kids/teens. But that's not to say it wasn't written for them. It just wasn't Kidd's intentions that it be for that age group. I took a Young Adult Lit class, and there were four books that we read that were questionable: are these for young adults or not? This was one of the books...

message 13: by Lora (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lora What's teen girl fluff?

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I read books like The Lovely Bones and A Thousand Splendid Suns when I was 10 years old. I think this book was much milder than them. I'd say this would be fine for kids around 12, but it depends a little on the person reading.

message 15: by Star (new) - rated it 4 stars

Star Forbis This is my Teenage Daughters favorite book of all time!

Colleen I would be thrilled if my teen would read a book as complex and meaningful as this one! How many vampires can you possible be interested in!

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather Danzler What specifically is the issue sexual content or language? What is it that some people are very concerned about? I want an idea before I let my kids read this.

Holland Oates Heather, the book has a lot of swearing and the protagonist's mother's death is a major piece of the plot. I would suggest that you read it yourself, except I don't suggest books I don't like to other people. Perhaps the Alice (Phyllis Reynolds Naylor) series would be a better choice.