Lobstergirl | 123 comments Novels

The Apple of the Eye (1924)
The Grandmothers (1927)
The Babe's Bed (1930)
The Pilgrim Hawk: A Love Story (1940)
Apartment in Athens (1945)

Short Stories

Good-bye, Wisconsin (1928)
"A Visit to Priapus", written in 1938, published in 2003 in The New Penguin Book of Gay Short Stories

Poetry

The Bitterns: A Book of Twelve Poems (1920)

Nonfiction

A Calendar of Saints for Unbelievers (1932)
Fear and Trembling (1932)
Images of Truth: Remembrances and Criticism (1962)
The Best of All Possible Worlds: Journals, Letters, and Remembrances, 1914-1937 (1975)
Continual Lessons : The Journals of Glenway Wescott, 1937-1955 (1990)

?

Like a Lover (1926)

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 296 comments I know nothing about this writer. What should one start with?

message 3: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 123 comments Pilgrim Hawk and Apartment in Athens are both in pretty, NYRB editions, so people probably read those first. Probably most people read Pilgrim Hawk, a novella, first. It is widely critically acclaimed. Apartment in Athens is a major downer.

I've only read these two and The Grandmothers thus far. The Grandmothers really moved me and is my favorite of the three. It's very autobiographical (though a novel) and the storytelling and writing is lovely. Interestingly, these three are quite different in tone. The Grandmothers is very deeply American, rooted in midwestern soils and personalities; Pilgrim Hawk takes place outside Paris and has a much more cosmopolitan feel.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 296 comments okay, thanks. The Grandmothers sounds great.

message 5: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 123 comments Here's my 5-star review of The Grandmothers. I am an evangelist for it.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 296 comments thanks!

surprised I hadn't come across him til now.

message 7: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl | 123 comments He's quite obscure. I don't think anyone would know about him if it weren't for those NYRB editions.

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) | 296 comments true. (but I specialize in obscure writers! particularly women tho).