Young Writers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Controversial Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Annemarie, hi (last edited Sep 19, 2012 04:34PM) (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 3393 comments Mod
Have you read any good controversial books lately?
Do you think that attempting to ban books is a good idea?
Are there any "controversial" books popular or well known right now that you would like to discuss?
et cetera et cetera.

message 2: by Theodore (new)

Theodore (ddaythecannibal) Well I don't think the attempting to ban all the books about Nazi in Germany is a great idea... The old saying of if we don't study history we are doomed to repeat it. Really no book is truly Controversial enough to be banned.

message 3: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Brigid ✩ | 11973 comments Mod
Well, that doesn't stop people from banning them anyway. Haha.

Errm, I don't know. I've been re-reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower lately. That book is kind of controversial. But, we're also discussing that for a group read. So ...

message 4: by Theodore (new)

Theodore (ddaythecannibal) Catcher in the rye is controversial but it is one of the most loved books of all times by teenagers.

message 5: by Annemarie, hi (new)

Just because something is controversial doesn't mean it can't be loved by a lot of people.

message 6: by Theodore (new)

Theodore (ddaythecannibal) I'm just saying Catcher in the Rye is so controversial because Holden is a supposed 'sociopath' yet teenagers all over the world believe it speaks to them and their life.

message 7: by Annemarie, hi (new)

Yes, I agree... I'm not really sure what point you're trying to get at. XD

message 8: by Theodore (new)

Theodore (ddaythecannibal) My point is... a book is not controversial. It never is. People simply don't like what a book is about or don't understand it. So they go on crusades against said books to remove them from the shelf. The way I see it if you don't like it don't read it. The more you bitch and whine about the book you think is 'bad influence' the more popular you will make it.

message 9: by Annemarie, hi (last edited Sep 19, 2012 05:24PM) (new)

"People simply don't like what a book is about or don't understand it. So they go on crusades against said books to remove them from the shelf. The way I see it if you don't like it don't read it. The more you bitch and whine about the book you think is 'bad influence' the more popular you will make it."

But isn't that just about the definition of controversy?

message 10: by Theodore (new)

Theodore (ddaythecannibal) It is but the book it self is not the cause of it now is it? No it the people who can't handle an opinion other than their own that make all the controversy.

message 11: by Baxter, butts butts butts (new)

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 2455 comments Mod
I think the book would be considered the cause of the controversy. Because it is the object of the peoples... controversy. That was worded cooler in my head, I swear.

Point is, controversial books are the hypest and I love them tenderly.

message 12: by Theodore (new)

Theodore (ddaythecannibal) "That was worded cooler in my head, I swear."

lol

Elliott Alicia  | 22636 comments Mod
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Well, that doesn't stop people from banning them anyway. Haha.

Errm, I don't know. I've been re-reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower lately. That book is kind of controversial. But, we're also ..."

Uugh, Perks only has a limited release so it isn't coming to any theaters in my area. I'm so disappointed.

message 14: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments I SAY BAN EVERYTHING EXCEPT 4 TWILIGHT CUZ ITS DA BEST.

Sorry. I just had to. I'm a little tired right now so I thought it was funny.

ANYWHOOOOO... What counts as "controversial"? Do piece of crap books fit into that category? Cause I can name a few of those.

message 15: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydeli) | 145 comments (This is written assuming that homosexuality, suicide, anorexia, and sex are causes for controversy in books. I'm no expert in this, so I am not the best person to trust over here)

Where I live, very few people read books of any controversy. If I read a book with child abuse, anorexia, gay characters, suicide, or even short, completely non-graphic sex scenes, no one else in my town has read it. Or if they have, they don't admit to it because they are ashamed. A week ago, one of my friends who will remain unnamed maimed The Fault in our Stars by John Green because of (view spoiler)

So that's how controversy is in my town. But I don't mind controversy. In fact, I quite enjoy controversial books.

message 16: by Taliah (new)

Taliah Lagons | 161 comments "child abuse, anorexia, gay characters, suicide, or even short, completely non-graphic sex scenes"

I don't see these books as really controversial because we see that sort of stuff in books and movies all the time. Isn't alot more accepted now than it once was?

The only thing I can think of reading about in a book that shocked me was incest. It's one thing that's like, really taboo and not alot of books or movies mention.

message 17: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Lav [I'm still not sure what I stand for] wrote: "Uugh, Perks only has a limited release so it isn't coming to any theaters in my area. I'm so disappointed."

Whuuut. That sucks! D:

message 18: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Jayda wrote: "I SAY BAN EVERYTHING EXCEPT 4 TWILIGHT CUZ ITS DA BEST.

Sorry. I just had to. I'm a little tired right now so I thought it was funny.

ANYWHOOOOO... What counts as "controversial"? Do piece of cra..."

lol, Jayda! Excellent trolling. XD

Well, I guess crappy books can count as "controversial"––as in, there could be controversy over whether the book is crappy or not. But I think we're talking more about books that get banned for containing objectionable content––like sex, drugs, language, violence, etc.

message 19: by Acacia (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) My school has a whole banner that's like BANNED BOOKS! and under it it has a ton of banned books. I think it also has the reasons for their banning, but I haven't gotten a chance to look at it much yet. I'll look at it tomorrow, maybe take a picture or something.

message 20: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Acacia wrote: "My school has a whole banner that's like BANNED BOOKS! and under it it has a ton of banned books. I think it also has the reasons for their banning, but I haven't gotten a chance to look at it much..."

Ooh, sounds cool.

message 21: by Theodore (new)

Theodore (ddaythecannibal) Jayda wrote: "I SAY BAN EVERYTHING EXCEPT 4 TWILIGHT CUZ ITS DA BEST.
"

There is a reason to eat the business end of a .44...

message 22: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

I hope you realize she was kidding... XD

message 23: by Theodore (new)

Theodore (ddaythecannibal) I do... but still...

message 24: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Haha okay, good.

message 25: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "I hope you realize she was kidding... XD"

hahahahahahaha :) Of course, of course haha

message 26: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments So, I know one series that has been causing controversy.

Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) by E.L. James Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades, #2) by E.L. James Fifty Shades Freed (Fifty Shades, #3) by E.L. James

message 27: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

AGGHH MY EEYYYYYEEESSSSS.

message 28: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Your reactions are priceless.

Did you guys know it's being made into a movie?

HOOOOOW?!?! How did this crap get published, and THEN get a movie deal?! How will it not be rated X?! UGHHH.

message 29: by Acacia (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) In my school's library:

message 30: by Taylor (new)

Taylor That is quite the show.

message 31: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Jayda wrote: "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Your reactions are priceless.

Did you guys know it's being made into a movie?

HOOOOOW?!?! How did this crap get published, and THEN get a movie deal?! How will it not be rated ..."

Haha yes I've heard. Apparently Angelina Jolie wants to direct it ... Errm. And yeah, I'm not sure how they'll pull that off. XD

message 32: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Acacia wrote: "In my school's library:"

Ooh, cool.

message 33: by Theodore (new)

Theodore (ddaythecannibal) Jayda wrote: "So, I know one series that has been causing controversy.

Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) by E.L. JamesFifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades, #2) by E.L. JamesFifty Shades Freed (Fifty Shades, #3) by E.L. James"

That's because they were written by a plagiarizer...

message 34: by Annemarie, hi (new)

No, it's because they're terrible in all ways.

message 35: by Theodore (new)

Theodore (ddaythecannibal) They're also plagiarized worse than a politician's speech.

message 36: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Well, they're terrible for ... everything. Both the plagiarism and everything else.

message 37: by Sumaiyya (new)

Sumaiyya | 846 comments But the good thing about crappy books is that their reviews are always HILARIOUS.

message 38: by Theodore (new)

Theodore (ddaythecannibal) Samantha Anne wrote: "But the good thing about crappy books is that their reviews are always HILARIOUS."

Totally agree.

message 39: by Megan (new)

Megan Mweemba (meganlovesbooks) | 3196 comments Holden wrote: "See: Brigid's review of Fifty Shades of Grey. xD"

message 40: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Can somebody post it here? My Internet filter is blocking most of Brigid's stuff....

message 41: by Sumaiyya (new)

Sumaiyya | 846 comments Does it filter out the awesomeness? Jus saying..

message 42: by Taylor (new)

Taylor I don't know. I think Brigid seems like a pretty cool gal, but I don't know her that we'll.

message 43: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Haha true, crappy books provide the best material for reviews sometimes. XD

Oh, my FSOG review is here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 44: by Megan (new)

Megan Mweemba (meganlovesbooks) | 3196 comments Well she is a pretty cool gal.

Oh, and internet filters are annoying. I know all too well... *sigh*

message 45: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Megan [find me somebody to love] wrote: "Well she is a pretty cool gal.

Oh, and internet filters are annoying. I know all too well... *sigh*"

D'awww thanks. You are a pretty cool gal yourself. XD

message 46: by Nepeta (new)

Nepeta Leijon | 348 comments Homestuck is a controversial book.

message 47: by Sophia (new)

Sophia | 64 comments Is it a good thing that I don't know what homestuck is, even though a lot of kids at my school talk about it?
Also, regarding Fifty Shades of Gray, I was extremely wierded out when one day my mom looked up an actor and asked me what I thought about his looks. Then she told me that he was going to be Christian Gray in the movie and told me what her reaction was. That she had yelled out that that was totally him. Much facepalming then ocurred on my part. The point is, I find it wierd that my mom would show me who is playing him in the movie and say repetitively how much she loves the books when she has said that if she catches me even touching those books that I would be grounded for life. But based off Brigid's review, I am avoiding those books at all costs. Also, Brigid, you are pretty cool. You have a lot of great reviews. But, Fifty Shades of Grey is very controversial in the fact that it is plagiarism and in the content. How did this book become popular again?

message 48: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Thanks, dude. And uh ... I think it became popular because of middle-aged women who don't know what fanfiction.net is.

message 49: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Yeah, that.

message 50: by Megan (new)

Megan Mweemba (meganlovesbooks) | 3196 comments Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Thanks, dude. And uh ... I think it became popular because of middle-aged women who don't know what fanfiction.net is."

Yep...pretty much.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.