The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets question

mythology
Aileen Aileen Sep 19, 2012 02:42PM
Barbara G. Walker "The Women's Encyclopedia of Myths & Secrets" is no less, to me, than the female version of Joseph Campbell, but with all the players sited and referenced; the female as goddess or mortal has, typically, been writ out while revealing history and mythology. Barbara has writ the female back in, whether that was her intent of not, I cannot say, but is not all history based on myth? Is not our very way of coming to terms with life and death from where our mythology springs? And isn't it that we cannot leave any part of truth out without creating falsity in the entire?

I love this book, but our myths have now largely run their course I believe, except as curios. Our age is largely without religion, goes a long way to explaining the unknown upon which these myths were substituted to make sense of as 'supernatural' or divine, plus the very nature of our understanding of reality itself is under siege from new scientific theories.

In answer to Erin, I believe that there is no such thing as reality, other than a consensus agreed upon by the majority that makes sense of the data being churned out by our senses. People pronounced as mad may just not be able to buy into such consensus and not accept our notion of reality. My interest is the assault on this consensus by our media, so that we are scarce able to tell the difference between what we take as 'truth' and what has been mediated to us as 'truth' by our own media outpourings. Things like memoirs, reality TV, TV news about wars etc. This tends to be the stuff I write about in my fiction.

There you have debate for philosophers: is there such thing as an objective truth, or can truth only exist inside the human mind, which is by its very nature subjective?

I take this book with a grain of salt, not as literal fact, but I do refer to it often. Just the other day, I used it to look up the traditional significance of the fish symbol appropriated by Christianity.