Indie Book Club discussion

General > Cover artist Derek Murphy - Have you worked with him?

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (new)

Eric Quinn (eqknowles) | 370 comments Mod
Howdy all,

Has anyone used or heard about Derek Murphy?
http://bookcovers.creativindie.com/

message 2: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Jeffrey Poole (Jaymikal) | 2287 comments Mod
No, sorry, I haven't. Are you considering using him?

I personally recommend the talented artists over at DeviantArt.com anytime I can. That's where I found my cover artist. They, like us, are chomping at the bit for any opportunity to expand their portfolios, and most of them would love to be able to do a fantasy cover.

Seriously, it was like dropping a side of beef into pirahna infested waters. One simple request for a cover artist and within 30 minutes I had 20 different artists all showing me their portfolios. It was great!

message 3: by Eric (new)

I just started to work with him ( I should've asked first). I used Dustin Ashe for Ring of Destiny, but he seems to have disappeared; I really wanted to keep the same artist for the series.

I got overwhelmed hunting around on Deviant Art, but I hadn't realized I could post my project for artists to pitch to. Oh well. If Derek doesn't work out, I'll explore Deviant further.

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen A. Wyle (kawyle) | 80 comments How do you make a request on DeviantArt?

Jeffrey wrote: "No, sorry, I haven't. Are you considering using him?

I personally recommend the talented artists over at DeviantArt.com anytime I can. That's where I found my cover artist. They, like us, are c..."

message 5: by Steve (new)

Steve Thomas | 198 comments They have a Job Board here:

http://forum.deviantart.com/jobs/offers/

Step 1: Set up a thread with some details about what you're after (tone, style, any image you have in mind).

Step 2: Go to bed

Step 3: Wake up to 30+ responses.

Step 4: Spend your day having a great time sifting through art galleries.

This was how I found the artist for my first two novels. Be aware that this is an international community, so be specific about currency or any other international concerns that may apply to you.

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen A. Wyle (kawyle) | 80 comments Thanks!

Steve wrote: "They have a Job Board here:

http://forum.deviantart.com/jobs/offers/

Step 1: Set up a thread with some details about what you're after (tone, style, any image you have in mind).

Step 2: Go to be..."

message 7: by Eric (new)

I just finished creating the cover of Maloch with Derek. He did an awesome job! The only downside is that you have to pay up front ($250) and had to wait about a month before he started, but once we got going I really enjoyed his process. I'll be using him again.

If you're doing a series, he only charges $50 for covers after the first, assuming your just swapping out titles and core images.

message 8: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Do you have a link so we can all check it out?? :)

message 9: by Eric (new)

Indeed: New cover for Maloch

message 10: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Looks good, Eric!!

message 11: by B. (new)

B. Throwsnaill (BThrowsnaill) | 208 comments That does look nice, and the price is pretty reasonable based on my (limited) experience.

message 12: by Eric (new)

Thanks, guys!