Coursera Friends discussion

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jute (new)

Jute | 139 comments Mod
Got this folder going too!

message 2: by Seawood (new)

Seawood Hurray! I've invited a friend who's doing it too.

I am a bit scared of the volume of reading for this one...do we think it'll be as tough as Sci-fi?

message 3: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Yay :)

I hope it won't, but even if it is, I'm personally very interested in it - Greek mythology is one of my favorites, and very related to my personal spirituality.

message 4: by Seawood (new)

Seawood *nods* I did try for a BA in Classics many years ago with the Open University, but made the stupid mistake of trying to learn Greek whilst working full-time, tutoring and planning a wedding on the other side of the country at the same time. Ho hum. I should have picked Latin as my first module! I'm really pleased to be going back to it.

message 5: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Sounds awesome. Well, in my case I don't have a job, so... educating myself for free online, here I come :)

message 6: by Jute (new)

Jute | 139 comments Mod
Oh wow... you are really ambitious. I hear that Greek is hard!

I am a bit concerned by the volume of reading for this one. At least if the number of books we had to buy is any indicator. They are all fairly thick as well!

message 7: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
I'll go with online versions whenever I can, or some other, ahem, not legal sources.

Sacred Texts should be very helpful, also Theoi is awesome.

message 8: by Seawood (new)

Seawood Yes, I got mostly online versions - the course notes recommended the Perseus website so I checked what versions were on there and then went to Amazon/Gutenberg to find those versions for my Kindle, since I do almost all my reading on that.

Ancient Greek is haaaaaaaaaaaaard and I'm lazy. What you might call an epic fail, ho ho.

message 9: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Hey, I was trying to learn Italian on my own and failed due to laziness... and should rehash my English and my native Lithuanian too - some Russian would not hurt either.

Would love to learn Latin and Greek some day.

message 10: by Jute (new)

Jute | 139 comments Mod
I've always wanted to learn Ancient Greek, Latin and Gaelic... so far, I've learned none of them!

message 11: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Which Gaelic, Scottish or Irish?

P.S. Gah, I am a language learning wannabe ><

message 12: by Jute (new)

Jute | 139 comments Mod
Xiri wrote: "Which Gaelic, Scottish or Irish?

P.S. Gah, I am a language learning wannabe ><"

I've leaned towards Irish, but I'd take either!

message 13: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Have you tried WikiBooks or something like LiveMocha?

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Scottish...

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Irish

message 14: by Seawood (new)

Seawood Yep, languages wannabe here too - it's the practice that gets me. I did German at uni level (duel course with Biochem, so not in massive depth but enough to let me work over there) but it's all disappeared now. I'm not very motivated to keep plugging away at it without some kind of goal. I have Latin, Greek, Irish Gaelic, Spanish and Italian on the shelves and a whole bunch of Earworms to listen to including Polish, Japanese, Russian, Mandarin etc.

The annoying thing is that my MIL was a lanaguages teacher of French and Russian and my BIL speaks Mandarin since he lives in Singapore...I really should be getting them to help.

My kids love the BBC's Lingo Show, too - the 2yo always asks for her banana in Mandarin :D

message 15: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Funny, I was really mad on languages last year, now I'm all about crafts :) (my interests change like that...)

Oh, I'd love to learn Polish, since at least in theory, it's a part of my heritage, and the cultures of my country and Poland are heavily interlinked.

message 16: by Seawood (new)

Seawood :) I haven't done any crafts for nearly a year - I got completely burnt out making tutorials for a magazine and haven't made anything properly since October. Started running and got seriously back into swimming instead, so sports take up nearly all my evenings right now (when I'm not buried in Coursera, anyway!).

Polish I think would be really useful at the moment although given the economy it seems a lot of Polish folks are heading elsewhere now. I like the sound of it a lot. Really I should be looking at Scandanavian languages as that area's where we'd head for if we ever decided to leave the UK.

message 17: by Xiri (new)

Xiri | 187 comments Mod
Good point.

message 18: by Seawood (new)

Seawood 75% chance I'm going to end up auditing this one then...I need to concentrate on Writing for Science and I'm struggling to get through the end of Sci-Fi.

message 19: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 88 comments Mod
There's an audiobook version of the Odyssey on Project Guttenberg which I'm tempted to use instead of the written version, BUT I am worried about 'tuning out' which I know I do sometimes in the videos (meaning I have to 'rewind' and relisten to sections frequently)...