Completists' Club discussion

Alasdair Gray
This topic is about Alasdair Gray
Authors E-H > Alasdair Gray

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MJ (last edited Sep 19, 2012 01:25PM) (new)

MJ Nicholls (mjnicholls) | 211 comments I have read all of Gray except the theatrical work, which I can't bring myself to slog through. I also skipped his 2005 Scottish nationalist propaganda pamphlet.

Novels

Lanark (1981)
1982, Janine (1984)
The Fall of Kelvin Walker (1985)
Something Leather (1990)
McGrotty and Ludmilla (1990)
Poor Things (1992)
A History Maker (1994)
Mavis Belfrage (1996)
Old Men In Love (2007)

Short Story Collections:

Unlikely Stories, Mostly (1983)
Lean Tales (1985) (with James Kelman and Agnes Owens)
Ten Tales Tall & True (1993)
The Ends of Our Tethers (2003)
Every Short Story by Alasdair Gray (2012)

Theatrical Works:

Dialogue - A Duet (1971)
The Loss Of The Golden Silence (1973)
Homeward Bound - A Trio for Female Chauvinists (1973)
Sam Lang and Miss Watson - A One Act Sexual Comedy In Four Scenes (1973)
McGrotty and Ludmilla (1986)
Working Legs: A Play for Those Without Them (1997)
Goodbye Jimmy (2006)
Fleck (2008)
A Gray Play Book (2009)

Non-Fiction

Saltire Self-Portrait (1988)
Why Scots Should Rule Scotland (1992; revised 1997)
The Book of Prefaces (ed.) (2000)
How We Should Rule Ourselves (2005)
A Life in Pictures (2010)

Poetry:

Old Negatives (1989)
Sixteen Occasional Poems (2000)
Collected Verse (2010)

message 2: by MJ (new)

MJ Nicholls (mjnicholls) | 211 comments A Gray Play Book collects all of Gray's theatrical, televsion, radio and screenplay work, except Fleck, which is available in a separate book. Every Short Story by Alasdair Gray contains new material. Collected Verse adds material not included in the two earlier poetry volumes.

message 3: by Aloha (last edited Sep 19, 2012 01:28PM) (new)

Aloha | 148 comments I have a beautiful hardback of his Lanark. I'm hoping to get to that. I'm hoping to get his A Life in Pictures. I like writers who also are visual artists.

message 4: by MJ (new)

MJ Nicholls (mjnicholls) | 211 comments Jealous of your Lanark hardback! Life in Pictures is a really nice, and thorough, retrospective of all his wonderful artwork. Gray is trying to get all his work in print before he pops his clogs, he is a devoted self-completist!

message 5: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 148 comments I'm having a nice collection of these wonderful literature, starting with the gorgeous House of Leaves. It's funny that it's postmodern literature that's getting me interested in collecting in hardback. I used to limit it to only art and design, and cookbooks.

I'm going to get his Life in Pictures in the Kindle format. I'm really enjoying being able to look at beautiful art work on the iPad. The colors are stunning. It's like having a revolving mini museum.

message 6: by Megha (new)

Megha (hearthewindsing) | 27 comments I didn't know Lanark was his first novel.

Does he get better with time? Given how good Lanark was, I may have a big treat in store.

message 7: by MJ (new)

MJ Nicholls (mjnicholls) | 211 comments I'd like to say yes, so I'll say yes. But actually no is the answer. 1982 Janine and Poor Things are on a par with Lanark, though.

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant Durn it - that means I've read all his great novels. Whit's the best ae the rest?

message 9: by MJ (new)

MJ Nicholls (mjnicholls) | 211 comments Something Leather is probably the next best novel. But the rest of his novels are all rewrites of old plays/works. They're fun but extremely slight. The Ends of Our Tethers is the best story collection. Apart from that, an extremely disappointing biblio all around.