The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

Should Kids that are 9 years old read it?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 145 (145 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Avani (last edited Sep 19, 2012 02:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Avani By the way, I didn't post this discussion. I think the person who posted it deleted their original comment. This is just my response to what they were saying. This isn't my discussion :)
I know kids in sixth grade who have read it as a school assignment, as well as fifth graders who put on a class play based on it. Maybe wait a couple years. I don't think the book is that gory, and people thought the movie should include R-rated violence, not be R-rated for the movie that it was. Anyway, a visual would be more inappropriate than a book, and there wasn't any inappropriate material in the book, anyway.

Budd My daughter read it in 5th grade and she wasn't emotionally scarred. It is just a little violent. Nothing that bad, really. Too violent is subjective, but it is a movie about kids killing each other. It isn't graphic though and neither is the movie.

Storm it really depends on the emotional level of the child, it won't be sutiable for all 9 year olds, but there are some incredibley bright, or emotionaly leveled 9 year olds that could read it

a few months ago, before the HG movie, i was in a bookshop, there was a young girl who picked up HG, and said "mom look, its that book everyones talking about"

i imeditley said "i have read those books, they are brilliant" in my fangirling manner, my mother told the girls mother that i was a huge fan of HG, it wasen't until after we walked out of the book shop, that i realized she looked like she was 9 years old.

but it really depends on the kid, some 9 years olds can handle it, some can't, heck, i know one mother who had a SIX year old daughter read the diary of anne frank, and loved it.

Rebecca Cluney No cuz this book has more valence to it

Ps.SORRY CANT SPELL RITE

Erica i don't think 9 year old should read it.
unless they are mature,enough.
some 9 year old are very mature and act like 7th graders.and some don't.plus i think 9 year old are about in 3rd or 4th graders.

Storm Cassy wrote: "i don't think 9 year old should read it.
unless they are mature,enough.
some 9 year old are very mature and act like 7th graders.and some don't.plus i think 9 year old are about in 3rd or 4th graders."

exactly, some 9 year olds can read it,some can't, but it really depends on the kid

Cyndi Goodgame I taught 3rd grade for 5 years and many read it. It takes an adult knowing which kids can and which kids aren't ready to read it yet.

message 8: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim DeSalvo I'm a fifth grade teacher, and many of my students have read it or are reading it currently. Perhaps it's a sad reflection on society, but the book is no more violent than the video games they play or the movies they watch--and I can tell you, it hooks kids and turns many of them into readers! It's not for everyone at that age, but most can handle it.

Alexa I think it would be fine for 9 year olds to read it! But I don't think they should go as far as #2 and #3. Theres some pretty gruesome stuff in those books that they probably wouldn't enjoy. I hated #3

Gabby Depends. If they think they are ready to read it, (And they'd better be really sure) Than i think they should.

message 11: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim DeSalvo I think it might be hard though, to tell a kid they can read number one, but not the others. Kind of the purpose of a series, don't you think, to hook a reader to the end? I didn't like the conclusion either--was quite disappointed, in fact--but if a kid loved the first one, they want to keep reading! Something to keep in mind before you decide to let a younger kid read it:)

Alexa But #1 is good all by itself. Took me like a year to read the second one. But then I HAD to read #3

message 13: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim DeSalvo I agree completely. One could definitely be a stand-alone!

Julia You should wait for a moment. 9 year old isn't old enough. She can read it, but she won't understand it.

Victoria Personally I wouldn't let my children ( if I had them) until they were a bit older. Because lets face it: the book has mature themes. Maybe reading it as a family to help process it works well. I think its interesting how big of a range this book has spoken to! From collegle level to fifth grade!wow

Karen It has been added as a possible selection in our provincial curriculm for grade 10 (15 years old).

Sarah Sure why not. I think a parent should ask there opinion on it every now and then. If they do get scared or give other kids death threats take the book away and wait a few months. The things in that book aren't any worse then what people do today.

Nicole It all depends on the kid. I have two twin sisters, and if I was to delegate what they read, I would say that as a nine year old, one could have read it, but the other shouldn't have. It's always just an opinion though.

message 19: by Budd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Budd honestly, if a kid wants to read it and has the ability, why not. if it is too hard or too scathe the child will stop reading it. the book isn't going to emotionally scar a child. if it does, there are some deeper issues.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with Budd. give it to the kid and if it is too much, they will put it down. if they read the whole thing, it obviously means that they could handle it and therefore they won't be emotionally scared. i never liked how some parents refused to let their kids read books they thought would scar them. movies, maybe but books? if the kid is at the appropriate reading level (ie. they can physically read it without any trouble), let them give it a go. they will know what they can and cannot handle and act accordingly. As for books with mature content, (which i know HG doesn't have but im on a role here) as long as its not a book like 50 shades of gray, let them read it. if it's too mature, it will go right over their heads anyway so no harm done. how do i know all this?? experience. reading meg cabot or gone with the wind at age 11 and the age i am now are very different things. you miss so much at 11. :)

message 21: by Lola (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lola Mark ummmmm freakin NO

message 22: by S.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

S.L. Wallace I'm not one to censor. However, I'm a big fan of adult/child conversations about any in-depth topic, whether the child is presented something on TV, hears it in the news, sees it in a movie or simply hears people talking about it... Kids want to know what's going on, and they're trying to figure out not only the world in which we all live but also their own beliefs. Adult/child discussions can only help children, and I do mean discussions, not one way lectures.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

S.L. wrote: "I'm not one to censor. However, I'm a big fan of adult/child conversations about any in-depth topic, whether the child is presented something on TV, hears it in the news, sees it in a movie or simp..."

agree however when i was young i always got more satisfaction when i figured something out by myself. but if i really couldn't, my mom would explain it. i remember asking her what a "prostitute" was when i was reading gone with the wind and she explained it. and btw I HAVE NO EMOTIONAL SCARS.

message 24: by Lola (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lola Mark i feel like 9 year olds wont get the political conflict that plays a huge part in the series

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Lola wrote: "i feel like 9 year olds wont get the political conflict that plays a huge part in the series"

do they need to?? let them read it for their own reasons. they don't have to get the higher meaning of it, they just have to enjoy reading it.

message 26: by Ariana (new) - added it

Ariana Sinclair I dont think that many 9 year olds would be able to understand the real meaning and depth in the book, and the parts they would understand would probably scare the hell out of them. I would be scared reading this at 9 years old.

message 27: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Ariana wrote: "I dont think that many 9 year olds would be able to understand the real meaning and depth in the book, and the parts they would understand would probably scare the hell out of them. I would be scar..."

yea that can be true about that as well. these are really big words for them, half of it would just go over their heads.

message 28: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia or that thay wouldn't understand half of what ppl are saying that in the book.

Kirstin Bittel As a teacher, I'd say its a bit violent for anyone younger than Middle School age. Even then they will need some help understanding the underlying political commentary.

message 30: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Kirstin wrote: "As a teacher, I'd say its a bit violent for anyone younger than Middle School age. Even then they will need some help understanding the underlying political commentary."

that is very good point there.

message 31: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia agree with that. as student/ teacher it might be bit 2 hard for them 2 get the consept type of thing.

message 32: by Ariana (new) - added it

Ariana Sinclair Kirstin wrote: "As a teacher, I'd say its a bit violent for anyone younger than Middle School age. Even then they will need some help understanding the underlying political commentary."

Yeah, and that is also what probably makes this book more enjoyable for adults also is that it has that deeper political theme... Another reason why younger kids shouldnt read it.

Paige Some kids can handle it, some can't. I personally hate seeing kids under 12 with the books or merchandise. I know that they cannot possibly understand all the themes about the Capitol and its cruelties. The main thing they get out of it is the romance and the action, but mostly the romance. I was in a toys r us looking at HG merchandise when some some ten year olds (I'm 16 by the way) came over and started fangirling and saying how much they loved Peeta because he's hot. That just annoys me so much.All that they're understanding is the romance and the basic concepts of the evils of the Capitol. MY sister, who is eleven, never wanted to read the books. That is, until I started talking about them nonstop. She finally wanted to borrow my copy and I said no, because I thought she was too young. But like always, she took it and loved it. She even understood the majority of it. I suppose it just depends on the kid. I say its too violent and mature for most kids under 12.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

My 9 year old sister read it, but i dont think that kids that young need to. I think she did only because she wanted to seem older, or because everyone said it was a good book.

Anthony Kotila if you think they can handle it you should let them try it out but it might not be for some children. if you don't think they can handle it then don't have them read it until you know they can handle it.

Allegra there's no harm in making kids wait a few years. They'll have something to look forward to, and they'll be able to understand more of the depth of the story. Let kids be kids while they can. Save the ugly of this world (or imaginary dystopia world) for when they're better prepared to handle it. There are plenty of great children's books more suitable for their age group. Parents be the judge ultimately.

Marci 9 is way too young. I've read it and found the images disturbing, although I enjoyed the book. I also think it will rob a 9 year old of a sense of peace and harmony that they are entitled to until at least 6th grade. That is my feeling.

message 38: by Budd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Budd I read Watership Down at about 9. I didn't get any subtext in the book but loved it. I have since read the book twice more and loaned/gave it to many people. It is still my favorite book to this day. Kids do not need to get every detail about a book. Enjoyment alone will be enough. If they love the book, they will come back to it again later and find all that great stuff they missed out on. Why would you tell a kid that they can't read something. You know when I tell my kid not to read something because she is too young? When I want to make sure that she will.

Yvonne I don't think we should thrust young children into this world of violence. Wait a bit. I don't want books like this (which I enjoyed even as an adult) to help shape the world view of such young children and instead, protect them a bit to enjoy their childhood if possible.

Marci The themes in this book are not going to be difficult to understand. The images are plain and spelled out It's just that they are savage and depressing. That is different than just being over a kids head and hard to pick up on.

message 42: by em (new) - rated it 5 stars

em Okay, so I read it when I was 11. I understood everything, from the political view and the themes. I LOVED this book. It all depends on the person, really. Like, so to speak, this one girl in my class (that can't even go anywhere without her mom) shouldn't read it. But I, a mature person, would definently be able to read it.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

everyone here is talking about how they are too young to grasp the higher political meaning of it. i can understand wanting to censor your child from violence, but claiming that they shouldn't read it because they won't grasp the politics seems premature. first, you never know until you try. your kids might surprise you. and second, even if they don't get it, who cares??? im sure a lot of adults who read it didnt get it either. let them read it for their own reasons, whether you deem those reasons acceptable shouldn't matter. if they want to read it so they seem older or so they understand what kids are raving about at school or just because they lovelovelove peeta, let them. it doesnt do any harm and it makes your kids happy.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Budd wrote: "I read Watership Down at about 9. I didn't get any subtext in the book but loved it. I have since read the book twice more and loaned/gave it to many people. It is still my favorite book to this..."

you said it!

message 45: by Nina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nina oh heck no. I have a very bright, mature 9 year old, but totally not appropriate. Keep 'em kids while you can and not push stuff on them. I think maybe mature 11 year olds. Should be fine by 12 years old.

Dollie I think that depends a lot on the maturity of the 9 year old. I read this book as a recommendation from a friend last spring. I probably would have loved it when I was in the 7th or 8th grade, which I think is the age group it was written for.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Nina wrote: "oh heck no. I have a very bright, mature 9 year old, but totally not appropriate. Keep 'em kids while you can and not push stuff on them. I think maybe mature 11 year olds. Should be fine by 12..."

on the grounds of violence (which im guessing is what you are concerned about) that is the parents decision. if you want to shield your kids from violence, im not bothered by that. ur the one who has to deal with them crawling into bed with you at night because they are having nightmares, not me :) hope i didnt offend you.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I was 8... XD

message 49: by Rime (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rime Marmar Depends on their maturity. ;)

message 50: by Laszlo (new) - added it

Laszlo Children, although not as old and wise as adults, have the ability of free thought. If they want to read a certain book, go right ahead, unless their parents disprove. I heard about this one book that some people wanted to teach in... 7th or 11th graded. Now, apparently there was some stuff in that book that some people thought was not child-friendly. Now, the schools, realizing that this might upset some parents, set out permissions slips to see if it was ok for parents to let the kids read the book. But some people didn't want kids to read it all together. I think that it would be ok for the kids to read the book, and I don't really understand why people don't want them to not read it all together. Maybe it is because they wanted to make sure the kids didn't talk about it to kids without the permission slip. So yes, it is ok to read the Hunger Games, but yes, like Rim said, it depends on their maturity. I took too long to answer!:)

« previous 1 3