UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

The Half-life of Hannah
This topic is about The Half-life of Hannah
Book Recommendations > The Half-Life of Hannah - Nick Alexander

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kath | 1965 comments here's what i thought anyway :)

I downloaded this book cos I have read a fair few of Mr Alexander's books and enjoyed them. Firstly, I found the book to be very well balanced. Yes, it starts off gently, the chapters switching between the third person "here and now" and the first person (Hannah) "background" which, imo, is necessary for the rest of the book to tie up neatly and didn't distract me from the story one little bit. The whole book starts to build steadily into the crescendo and (never saw that coming) twist at the end, finishing neatly sewn up but also leaving the story open for further continuation either from the author or, in my case cos I felt I knew the characters well enough by then, from my own imagination.
The characters were real and very well fleshed out. At times during the book I really felt for them, both positively and negatively. I laughed with them, I shouted at them, I worried for them and, I also have to admit, I cried with them too. I have always found this author to be great at characterisation and this book was no exception. I suspect he has been out and about sharpening up his people watching skills.
I also really enjoyed the style of writing. As already mentioned, there is a mix of 1st and 3rd person and yes, admittedly, it did take a little bit of getting used to but after a few chapter switches I settled into the swing of it very well. However, just when I found myself ticking along nicely, the author pops another style into the mix in the form of letters. So now we have three styles to get on with and blow me down if it doesn't work perfectly.
The story itself is much more than just the return of a lost love, it is about family and friends, their personal interaction and looking into each other's lives and the comparison of what we see and what is actually there and how much really is just a mask. For me, it was a reminder that you really don't know what is happening behind closed doors, even in your own house.
All in all, another winner from Mr Alexander. I would dearly love him to continue with either this story or at least some of the characters from it, so I will definitely be keeping my eyes open for more from him.

message 2: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Sep 19, 2012 02:34PM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Kath I love seeing reccies from you.

We do seem to have great over laps of interests and when I think, naw....but give it a try, I've not yet been disappointed.

Thanks so much for widening my point of view. :)

Kath | 1965 comments Oooo thanks Patti, I hope you enjoy it...

Yeah, I sometimes step outside the "police procedural crime fiction" box and am amazed at some of the brilliant books that are out there that I would never have even glanced at in the pre Kindle days. Most of them finds come from people here and over at KUF. I also keep my eyes open for books that certain other people (including you) have enjoyed and, like you, i have found that to be a very successful way of finding new authors/genres... long live the kindle and the group!

message 4: by Nick (new) - added it

Nick Alexander | 9 comments I thought you might like to know that amazon UK are offering this as a freebie. Not sure how long that will last though... X
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Half-Life...

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments I think I'll have a go at that Nick. It'll be in my queue for a while though.

message 6: by Nick (new) - added it

Nick Alexander | 9 comments I hope you enjoy it! Do let me know when you get there. x

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments Thanks for the recommendation Kath.50% in and only for the fact that dinner wouldn't cook itself I'd still be reading!
Great book Nick!

message 8: by Nick (new) - added it

Nick Alexander | 9 comments Excellent news! But maybe time to get someone else to cook dinner ? :-) :-) xxx

message 9: by Nick (new) - added it

Nick Alexander | 9 comments Hi People,
Just a little heads-up that if you'd like to get a copy of The Half-Life of Hannah from Amazon Kindle (UK) or Apple iBooks (UK,USA and Oz) free of charge, this weekend (the 5-7th Oct) is your last chance.

This title isn't enrolled in KDP so once it shifts to "pay" next week, it will never be free again.

At least you can't say that I didn't warn you ;-)

Love and respect to all.
Nick xxx

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Half-Life...

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/book/the-h...

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments The UK link isn't working. :(

message 11: by Nick (new) - added it

Nick Alexander | 9 comments Yes, goodreads seems to truncate the links. You'll just have to hunt for "half-life of hannah" in the uk amazon store, I'm afraid. :-( Sorry.

message 13: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments or y'know just copy the right link

message 14: by Nick (new) - added it

Nick Alexander | 9 comments y'know, when I pasted it, both of mine worked too... and then they mysteriously got truncated... let's see if yours does in 24 hours. ;-)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Weird.

Thanks Peanut. It's working for now, anyway. :)

message 16: by Nick (new) - added it

Nick Alexander | 9 comments Yep, yours survived the night Louise! Thanks!

message 17: by Nick (new) - added it

Nick Alexander | 9 comments Hannah is price matched to 24p, so if you're thinking of getting a copy, grab it now ;-) Nick x