The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > Hi from Candice Hughes

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candice (new)

Candice Hughes | 4 comments New to the group- I read all types of thrillers. I like Lee Child (got to meet him in person at a lecture- super cool!)Other authors include James Rollins, Steve Berry, Dan Brown. I'm going to toss in Stephen King as well because I feel his books have suspense as well as "horror".

I don't know why I don't have many women writers on my list. All I can say is that the women writers I read tend to be more in the mystery/crime category or some in paranormal/fantasy. But, I do feel this is a deficiency in my reading and I try to look for women thriller writers.

message 2: by Bill (new)

Bill Welcome to the group Candice. I hope you do find good recommendations for other authors. I like quite a few women mystery writers; Karin Slaughter, Donna Leon, Nevada Barr, Val McDermid, just to name a few. I think I almost prefer to male writers, not quite sure why that is though. I hope you enjoy yourself here.

message 3: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Hi Candice. Our members are great with recommendations. Someone should have some good ones for you.

message 4: by Cathy (new)

Cathy DuPont (cathydupont) | 132 comments Candice: Enjoyed reading your intro and have to admit I have 'deficiency' in my reading also, in that I have a difficult time reading outside the mystery, crime and thriller genre.

Edna Buchanan is pretty good but I have an affinity towards books set in Florida anyhow and hers are set in Miami. Her character is a woman, Britt Montero, who writes for a Miami newspaper and is pretty gutsy. Buchanan is an Edgar nominee and I tend to read authors who are nominated for that award because, of course, they are very good to excellent writers.

Good reading and enjoy.

message 5: by Candice (new)

Candice Hughes | 4 comments Thanks Cathy! I will look for her books.

I do read some women writers but they are pretty much all in the mystery/crime genre. For example: Lisa Scottoline, PD James, some JD Robb, some Dorothy Sayers, all of Agatha Christie (which I had gone through by high school). I recently read Mr Churchill's Secretary (Susan Elias MacNeil), which was quite good.

I also read women writers outside of any of these genres- Jane Austen, Virginia Woolf, plus some more esoteric writers like Jean Rhys and Djuna Barnes.

However, there are not that many women thriller writers and I like thrillers. Coming from a liberal arts women's college, I guess I am extra aware of trying to balance what I am absorbing.